November 23, 2014 | 2032 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte - Rose Culte #11

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

Gorgeous shade, looks amazing on yellow-toned skin. The shade has been described several times so I won't repeat that.

This lipstick is bold, pigmented and very creamy. I actually find this to be a bit overly greasy so I use a lip brush to apply a more subtle sheer coat, and it looks amazing as a lip stain or even on cheeks. It's too greasy (for me) to wear without lip liner and tends to migrate easily, but again the colour is beautiful and suitable to wear for all types of occasions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

ATTENTION READERS: If you like bright pink lipsticks, then this is what you need in your life.

The color simply can't be beat. The closest match that I have found is NARS Funny Face, but it just doesn't seem to have the certain richness that this lipstick does. It's a true, deep rose/fuchsia shade. It's bright, yet completely wearable and not tacky or reminiscent of the 80's in the least. It's so gorgeous and makes for a very grown-up, polished look. It's crazy, yet classy. It's sophisticated, yet sultry. It's the exact type of shade that I could imagine an old Hollywood starlet wearing for a switch from the usual reds of yesteryear.

The formula is SUPER creamy and it literally glides onto your lips like BUTTER. It's very heavily pigmented and looks exactly how it does in the tube after only one swipe. If you find that it applies to heavily, try dabbing it lightly, then blending with your fingers (by doing this, I find that it works nicely as a lip stain as well!).

I don't suggest wearing this with gloss. Let it alone and let the gorgeous rosy splendor take center stage! Also, if you wear this, it needs to be the focal point of your look. Keep your eyes and cheeks very neutral (not that ANYTHING could compete with this anyway).

This lipstick will make even the drabbest of days a chic one. I can't praise it enough!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2012 7:09:00 AM More reviews by ckn23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This shade is absolutely beautiful - a bright, vibrant fuschia/magenta. I was so in love with it that I had to have it! The packaging is also to die for, YSL RV's have the nicest packaging of any lipstick IMO.
However, and this is why I'm giving it a rating of 2, is because the colour just *does not last* on the lips. It fades so fast! I hate having to reapply lipstick all the time, so this is just not for me. I've heard similar things from others regarding the whole range, unfortunately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 7:54:00 AM More reviews by blueelm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beautiful pink. Some may quibble over whether this is truly fuschia, but I am just happy to have a bright intense pink that I can wear. This wears like a red, and lasts all day almost. True to YSL Rouge Volupte form it is very pigmented. I'm very happy with this one!

If your coloring (like mine) tends to look very odd in blue pinks, or you're more of a coral/brown lipstick wearer this may be a pink worth trying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 3:42:00 AM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This formula is to die for! It is extremely comfortable on your lips, glide on so smoothly and is so heavily pigmented that the tiniest amount goes a long, long way. # 11 Rose Culte is a medium-dark rose on the cooler side (though not as cool as fuchsia). I can wear this even though my colouring is more warm than cool. Since the colour is so strong this is not for the shy... I love it and will probably re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Yoshi3329

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is actually a very wearable shade for women of color. I can actually wear this shade without a lip liner because darker skin has a natural affinity for this bold shade. This is a perfect color for spring. While Extreme Coral brightens the face, this pink with red undertone lipstick is more for a classic look.

This is the best lipstick formula I've ever encountered. Incredibly creamy, moisturizing, stays in place, long-lasting, beautiful bold colors, and the packaging is so luxurious. The packaging for the collection is so cute. On each tube the logo is the same shade as the lip product.

I do feel you pay a chunk of change for the packaging, which while decadent, does hold fingerprints.

I can not wait to purchase more!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2010 8:14:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very pigmented, bright pink/red, not really fuchsia. To me, it is a compromise between #18 & #10. (Which I also have)

As another member said earlier, #11 would be what Marylin Monroe would choose if she was tired of her true red.

It really helps to not swivel the lipstick out beyond about 1/16" (.158cm) just barely past the end. I've never had one break, but can understand, due to the creamy consistency, how it could happen very easily if extended out very much past the tube end. Very little pressure is needed to apply. Just barely touch your lips.

I have used clear lip liner, and also Mac in Cherry (I think). It will feather without a lipliner unless your lips are truly wrinkle free.

It is good to use the lip brush for the initial application, touch ups are fine to just use the tube because one doesn't really need to go to the very border of lips for color renewing throughout the day.

I know the lip liner + lip brush sounds like a lot of effort, but its really worth it, the color is beautiful, it lasts very well, and if no lip balm or primer is used first, it will stain the lips, which I personally like.

The case for the Rouge Volupte series is so pretty! Yes, the mirror on the end is nice for applying when in public, and I like just having them sitting on the vanity. I also love Revlon brand lipsticks, and the black case actually looks elegant to use in public, BUT, at home, the Revlon lipsticks stay tucked away inside the drawer with the other makeup lol.

I'm adding a photo of me wearing #11 as there was not a photo for this color as of yet on MUA, and... just because.... also a photo of part of my dressing table, with some of the YSL lippies on it :)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2010 6:23:00 PM More reviews by janetgrace

Sorry to go against all you YSL Volupte fans but these lippies are way to drying for me and I just can't get them to work after many tries and balms. For this price and color you need perfection in terms of texture and comfort on the lips. This fails miserably and some YSL SA agree.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Shamaine

I love that this color looks on my lips exactly the way it looks on the tube. The packaging is adorable. There is no bleeding. This color could've easily gone into the clownish realm, but it doesn't, it looks very polished. What I love most about this lipstick is that it photographs very well. I can't explain myself well, but I've never seen a lipstick photograph as well as this one does. This is my first YSL lipstick, so I don't know if it's something particular to the color or particular to the brand.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2010 4:17:00 PM More reviews by mg86

This color is truly something else - it is a very bright cool pink but its depth gives it a certain elegance and keeps it from looking like a remnant of the 80s. It also wears like a red in that it will probably be the focal point of your look and if you wear this with a nothing else but some foundation/concealer and mascara you will still look polished and made-up.

The formula is so creamy that it's basically impossible to really sheer out, even applied layer by layer with a brush and blotted. The upshot is that only a dab of this product is needed to get a true color on your lips - what you see is very much what you get. If you want something a bit more versatile, skip this one. For most people this will be an evening/weekend color only. There is a strong fruit scent, but it doesn't really linger.

I find this lipstick to be non-drying and comfortable to wear. The color lasts a good few hours but when it starts to fade it leaves an uneven stain, which is why I took a lippie off. The packaging is adorable, but the mirror is pretty useless and the lipstick itself has a bigger circumference than most which is sort of awkward.

*EDIT: I still like this lipstick, but I recently acquired No. 22 Rouge Coco - Paris which is almost exactly the same color as Rose Culte but more wearable. Main differences: Paris has some shimmer, is a touch more red vs. Rose Culte's fuchsia, and is less intensely fragranced. The final straw for me is how buildable Paris is in comparison to the single shade you can get from Rose Culte. If this lipstick is too intense for you but you love the color, try Paris.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No