February 1, 2015 | 1327 users online

Crème - L'Oreal - True Match Super Blendable Compact Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2015 10:23:00 AM More reviews by ellekaye

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Grey, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this after a long search to replace my HG (sadly discontinued!) Smashbox Camera Ready Cream foundation. I wanted a cream-to-powder compact formula because it's much easier to travel with than liquids and is happier on my combination skin. It took a looonggg time to find any brand foundation in the right shade for my light peach skin tone. Most are either too neutral beige-ashy or too pink. The drugstores that sell this here don't have testers, just garish overhead light and "color cards" that are shiny, streaky, and faded, so it takes a while to figure out a good match. I finally chose W3, and it works pretty well for me. I adjust with bronzer in the summer.

L'Oreal Super Blendable gives lighter coverage than my lamented Smashbox, so it takes more layering to cover my reddish spots. It does blend well; I apply it with the included sponge, then blend in edges or dab on extra with a concealer brush. It does not set up as long-lasting as long as Smashbox, wears off in hot weather, rubs off on tissue when I blow my nose. So not a perfect substitute, but better than other current choices. It's nearly the same price per ounce though! At least the compact and sponge is a much better package!

I also apply Super Blendable with a small firm brush as an eyelid primer/highlighter, then immediately brush a light layer of beige powder eyeshadow over it, and let it set. This lasts most of the day unless weather is very hot and humid.

I'd buy L'Oreal Super Blendable again until Smashbox comes to their senses and resurrects Camera Ready.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2015 9:12:00 PM More reviews by ShimmeryPastels

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my holy grail of powders. I always need to put a setting powder because of my oily skin and I was fishy on trying this out because I'm more of a translucent powder user. I got the shade w4. W4 is more of a warm yellow than the liquid foundation. Like the other reviews people use this powder alone because it is a powdered foundation, I use it with a liquid foundation. The coverage alone without a liquid foundation does not cover well on me. It's more of a light coverage and it also makes my skin look dry. I recommend using this with a foundation for more coverage but take note that this powder has color and it is going to cover whatever foundation shade you put on. So make sure you get the right shade. Lasts about 7 hours on me before I start to look oily. Also some people use this as a bronzer and it is the best. It's best to use a stippling brush or a kabuki brush for this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2015 5:54:00 PM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This isn't the best but not the worst. I understand the negative reviews but for me it personally works. I use this in place of liquids because it's easy and fast. Blending does take some time but I figure since it's a cream it's ok to pat over the skin to get a decent look. It can look cakey if you go overboard but I have yet to come across a foundation that wouldn't get that way after applying such a thick layer. I love the way this feels...barely there which is amazing since I wear eyeglasses on the daily and most liquid foundations rub off onto them and make me feel as if my makeup is sliding off with it. I got the color W3 Nude Beige which is perfect seeing as for my light-medium skin tone I am a Nude something in most drugstore foundations. Doesn't leave a white cast despite the SPF that most reviewers say they got so I must be lucky! Regarding that, I do wish this foundation came w/o the SPF since I like being able to manage for myself when I do and don't wear sunscreen but it's a small thing to overlook. The coverage is on the lighter side of medium and evens out the ski tone very well which I find to be perfect for a daily look even though I have large pores, tons of cystic acne and dry skin. This foundation does cling to dry patches but once you let it set for a little while it softens up and actually gives you a very healthy glow which most oily girls would considered greasy but as I always say, the skin is never completely matte so don't try to make it that way. That's one way to ensure you look dead and not fresh at all. This was a bit pricy at $12 but seeing as I don't use much of this it should last me a decent amount of time. I would repurchase just for the convenience of a daily foundation. And hello it's in a compact with a sponge and mirror, perfect for on the go!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by RadioPrincess

To give you an idea of my skin- it's combination and I have a yellow/light tan complexion (Asian). This foundation blends easily to my skin and doesn't give me that super pink undertone or orange tone that most foundations make. The foundation has a creamy paste feeling and is like clay on the skin. It doesn't smell but the coverage is light and it will cling like crazy to any dry patches and wrinkles! The foundation itself gives you the appearance of dry skin and no matter what shade you choose- it has an almost white sheen to it. It is probably due to the SPF but it definitely looks lighter on skin than on the packaging. To apply- I used the sponge applicator it came with and I find that it works best with the given applicator than a brush or separate sponge. I wouldn't repurchase but it comes in handy as a last minute concealer.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by MsBeagle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

No no no. No. Just no. Bought this by accident instead of powder, thought I might be able to make it work. Oh God. I'm amazed if anyone can. I can match to w3 in the paler months, and while this was w3, it was pasty ghost white with a grayish cast. It magnified every pore. It made me look like I had patchy dry skin - and I don't; i'm pretty oily and supple, actually. It felt so silky and smooth on my finger when I tested it for feel and tried on the back of my hand, but skidded over my face, was uneven and made me look straight ugly. I'm returning this crap so fast. One user said it was all in the application- I tried fingers, Kabuki, and applicator, and in a minute I wanted it off my face and refuse to work for half ass coverage and a terrible appearance. Nope. I love my L'oreal foundations so I initially had faith, but L'oreal DROPPED THE BALL here, big time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe1066

Update (8/2014): Holy oxidation, Batman! For whatever reason, this foundation--which I still have a good amount left of, BTW--has decided to start oxidizing like mad. W4 went from a perfect match to turning way too orange after application, no matter what primer I layer it over. I don't know if it's some change in my skin or if it's because the compact has been open more than month...anyhow, W4 has suddenly become unwearable and I've marked it down 2 lippies.

Ironically, my W3--opened EARLIER than the W4 was--remains just a bit too light and doesn't really oxidize. I guess I will keep searching for that foundation Holy Grail...

Update (7/2014): After almost a month of near daily use, I have yet to hit pan, and I apply enough to cover a face full of rosacea. I'm using the sponge that was included so that may be a factor--if you chose to use a brush, or scoop it out and use your fingers, you may burn through it faster.

*******************************

Lately, both Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour and Smashbox Studio Skin hasn't been fitting my skin as well as they used so: either the color is off or the application and coverage isn't quite right. I have started doing regular chemical peels at home, so I'm guessing my skin's texture has really changed. I've been having a hard time finding a satisfactory alternative foundation among the high-end brands. I've used the True Match liquid makeup on and off during the years, and I thought that I would give the compact makeup a try.

This is a possible HG. Coverage is buildable but never heavy, it feels weightless on my skin, the texture looks incredibly natural, and the color match is the best I've encountered in ANY foundation. It wears like a dream: I don't need powder to make it last (disclaimer: I wear primers under any product I use). In fact, sometimes adding a touch of powder makes my skin feel too dry, so I usually skip it. It comes off with no problem with the OCM and it hasn't made me break out.

It's also one of the few foundations that my skin can tolerate immediately post-peel: it doesn't irritate my newly sensitive skin. One caveat though: if you have dry skin, this foundation will do you no favors--it will just accentuate every single little flake. So be sure to exfoliate and moisturize thoroughly before applying...and if you do tend to run on the dry side, definitely skip the powder.

A heads-up: if you're picking a color based on eyeballing alone, the shades appear slightly darker in the pan than they actually are. They also tend to vary in shade from the corresponding liquid. I'm a W3 in the liquid but this formula in W3 comes off too light. But W4--which appeared too dark in the pan--is actually perfect, even though the liquid W4 is too dark on me.

I have read about people hitting pan quickly with this product, so I will see how many uses I get. Regardless, I'm repurchasing it. If I go through it fast, I'll take advantage of 50% off and BOGO sales whenever I can.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I normally wear the liquid version of this but w3 seems to be very popular and I can't locate a bottle. I figured this stuff would be great in a pinch.

This stuff has a built in mirror and sponge applicator. Its great for touching up your foundation on the go. It goes on creamy and quickly turns to a powder. You can wear it sheer or apply more for med. Coverage. A plus is the foundation.

Some not so great stuff is the amount of product. I've had this for 2 weeks and already hit the pan. I don't wear a whole lot and was surprised at how quick I used this up. Frankly, with the price you pay for so little, this stuff is expensive. In addition, though this is a cream to powder, be mindful to really blend. It can be a little streaky and too powdery.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2014 7:52:00 AM More reviews by AmberMardina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

As with so many products, the key to success is in the application. I love this stuff, but it hasn't replaced my foundation. It HAS however replaced Benefit's boi-ing as my go to heavy duty concealer. I absolutely love it. It looks much more natural, gives full coverage and melts into my skin without being meticulously worked. How I use it: I first apply a primer, then my foundation. Next I apply this with a foundation brush on my under eye, sweeping downward over the top of my cheek and on my chin scars. Now I blend it out with my kabuki. I set it with Bare Minerals matte foundation and a translucent setting powder. Bam, all day full coverage that matches my skin tone perfectly. No oxidation with this, no melting off. It doesn't drag my skin when I apply it. I couldn't be happier. It may not be a lot of product for a foundation, but for a concealer it's unheard of. For those of you that found the shade was too light, use it as a highlighting concealer in your contouring routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Cjenai

I actually bought this stuff by mistake thinking I was buying the powder. I'd been testing out powders to set my foundation, and while this obviously wasn't what I was looking for it wasn't half bad. WARNING: this stuff does go on very light. I was positive i matched it to my skin tone perfectly (sand beige) but when I applied it I looked like a ghost face HOWEVER, blending technique is everything! I got the best results using a flat top kabuki brush and a few minutes after application I could barely tell I put anything on my face. It gave me the appearance of a smooth nearly flawless face but still looks very natural. So yes, it can appear to be caked AND chalky, IF you dont apply it correctly. But overall, I am pleased with this accidental purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by twigsonic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted something similar to Purestay or Airwear and so I decided to give this a try. I really want to like it because I like the idea of it. What I think the problem is is that when you smooth it on in one direction its a cream, but as you pass over it to blend a second later its already a powder and so the creme still on the sponge wipes through the set powder and just streaks it everywhere so that it's impossible to apply.

I just tried again after I wrote that. It seems the only way for to semi successfully apply it is to use super short down swipes all going in the same direction and in places like my nose, to almost stipple it on with the sponge. I'll update this in a couple hours to review whether its slid off or formed patches as other makeups with this consistency have done to me before.

20 minutes in....I just touched my nose and the makeup came off. I can't use setting powders because makeup tends to migrate and form patches underneath them on me. But this is a creme to powder yet it has no staying power.