October 20, 2014 | 1062 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - more big curls

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This review is for the Conair Big Curls Travel Setter with five rollers. [Note: There are two versions of this set: one that is an "instant heat" set, which heats up in about 5 minutes and has white/gray curlers, and one that heats up in 15-20 minutes and has pink/gray curlers. Both sets work the same and have the same results (I have used both) one just heats up faster.]

If you are looking for a set of rollers to create curls with, this is not the set for you. These curlers are specifically for creating volume. They curl the ends slightly and produce a smooth, overall voluminous look. The results aren't amazing, but they do exactly what they're supposed to. The curlers don't get super hot (they don't need to for that type of style) so you don't burn your fingers. The clamp clips work better at holding the curlers in than the metal pins do (the set comes with both). I plug in when I wake up, do my makeup, put in the curlers, wait ten minutes and pull them down. The results are kind of blow-out like, and give me nice bounce and subtle curl that lasts all day.

If you're looking for smooth, lasting volume, this is a great set. Inexpensive, compact, super easy to use. This has become my new go-to styling tool; my straightener has gone into the drawer since I got these.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by mochasplash

i bought this off someone for $6. i have the older conair big curls hot rollers. it came with 10 rollers in which only 5 can be heated at a time. big draw back! it already takes 10-15 mins to heat up completely, so once i use the first 5, im waiting for the other 5 to heat up... very annoying. im glad i didnt buy this in the store for full price. this was my first set of hot rollers and im pretty disappointed. i do get nice results, but my hair is so frigging straight, i need a lot of product in my hair to maintain a decent result.
i like the weird jaw clips that are provided. they can be used without the rollers as just hair clips. i dont use the pins that it comes it, unless i have some strays that im trying to lock down while rolling up my hair. once their off the element, they dont stay warm (cuz their def not hot) for long. i wouldnt buy this again, but i'd try another conair hot roller set, only cuz their cheap at walmart :)
theres an on and off switch, so i dont know if this stays hot and maintains a steady temp once it's plugged in, or if it eventually automatically turns off.. i dont care enough to experiment, i waste enough time waiting for this shit to heat up.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2009 12:51:00 PM More reviews by MiaMoore

I'm a hairstylist & makeup artist and this set of hot rollers is a must in my kit! If you want killer, sex kitten volume, this set will give it to you!

It does take a while to heat up- I plug it in about 15 minutes before I plan on using it to make sure the rollers are nice and hot. I take sections as long and as wide as each roller so on most people I can get all 12 rollers on them. If you have really thick or long hair, you will need to take smaller sections so that the heat can penetrate- in those cases, I do run out of curlers but it's no big deal since it's usually just the nape... I can easily use a large barrel curling iron to finish off those sections.

I make sure to spray each section with a heat setting spray like Redken Hot Sets as I go to hold the volume. I let the rollers cool completely (about 15 minutes), unroll, hairspray, and cool for another 5 minutes. Then I backcomb the curls on the top and sides, and run my fingers through the lengths to break up the curls and give a tousled look. The result is fabulous, full, and sexy.

Since the rollers are so big (1.5" if I'm not mistaken) you get more of a voluminous wave- if you want a tight curl or ringlet, this isn't the product for you. But if you want wavy fullness- this is perfect!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Manet

I'm actually going to return this sometime this week because it's pretty useless. First of all, it takes something like 15 minutes to heat up and it isn't easy to see when it's actually ready to use. And when you do use it, that's a bit of a pain too. Each roller can only take a thin section of hair and since there's only twelve rollers, it hardly gets half of my thick hair done. Then, you leave it on for ten minutes (which is how long they say it takes to get tighter curls) and you take them out and...no curls! Not even a kink in my hair. Some strands curled in a little at the ends but that was it. I'm just gonna stick to my hot tools curling irons from now on.