April 16, 2014 | 1926 users online

Eye Shadow - Christian Dior - 5 Colour Eyeshadow - Elegante 553

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by KaisiK

Love the colours as I am a fan of beige and natural eyeshodows and with these shades I can create either day makeup or night makeup. They say on quite a while and I love the shimmery look.
Will defiantly get some more eyeshodows from Dior!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 12:32:00 PM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I don't know why there are five eyeshadows in this palette if most of them are a variation of pale beige. I have light olive undertoned, yellow overtoned skin (I wear MAC select concealor in NC20). I also have dark, almost black eyes and when I wear eyeshadow, I need at least one dark liner or medium-dark crease eyeshadow shade. MOST of the eyeshadows in the "elegante" palette do not show up on me as they are the exact same colour as my skin... if only I had tested this before I bought it. The only shade in this palette that isn't beige is the medium brown shade, which looks like what MAC "satin taupe" would be if "satin taupe" had no plum undertones and was sheer. I think that Christian Dior's eyeshadows have a beautiful texture and they are not too glittery, the packaging is sturdy and elegant, and it is always a good deal to get five eyeshadows in one palette. But when four of the five eyeshadows all look like you have applied nothing to your lids, you might be as annoyed as me. I have buyer's remorse. If you have darker skin or extremely light skin and can get these eyeshadows to show up on you, perhaps you won't.

Edit: 5 January 2012. I've found out how to make all the colours in this palette useful. The dark brown colour, if mixed with the medium shade in the middle of the palette, makes a nice light warm brown that looks good in the creases of my eyes in the summer when I'm a bit more tanned. The lightest shade also doubles as a highlighter. I also find that if I use quality brushes rather than the foam applicators that come with the palette, the shadows last longer and are easier to control. I'm increasing my rating now.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by MissChatelaine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

The five colors in this stay very close to true neutral hues, in my opinion. Depending on the shades you choose to use that day, you can lean more warm or cool. The richness of these colors is beautiful, and it truly does look "elegant". I love to play with all kinds of shadows, high-end and low, but this is the one I reach for when I just want a low-key, beautiful eye.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

These neutrals are perfect. I actually like all the colors, which is rare, even in my other Dior quints. Super blendable and long lasting. These shadows are worth the splurge

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 7:52:00 AM More reviews by Lilian11

My first Dior quint :) I love neutrals and have a lot, but this is my favourite chocolate brown toned palette. Love the soft texture with very slight shimmer. (as compared to the iridescent quints which I found rather frosty). They are similar to bobbi brown's shimmerwashes but more pigmented, blendable and not chalky at all. The colors show up well even though I am fair-medium in skintone (NC 20-25, Asian Chinese). I've tried all the favourite brown e/s palettes, like BB's famous chocolate palette, Revlon's Coffee Bean, WnW Belgian Chocolates, BB shimmering nudes....this one looks the most sophisticated on me. I wear it with a peachy orangy blush and I really like how that looks. This is the most I've spent on a makeup item but it's worth it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2009 5:39:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

I love the Dior quint eyeshadow palettes, and this is lovely - very soft and subtle (some of the colors are a bit too subtle, which is why I gave it a 4 out of 5 rating). I would purchase it again, though, because there are days when I want an understated look, and after giving us shimmery and iridescent shades for the past few seasons, Dior has finally come up with a matte and almost-matte palette.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2009 10:24:00 AM More reviews by azjavagirl

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have a love-hate relationship with this quint.

I love the creamy, soft texture of the eyeshadows. I love three of the shadow colors--the darkest color is a lovely bronzey golden crease, the bottom right and top right are great lid/inner corner colors for a summer neutral eye. And I flat out adore the shimmer of these shadows: no glitter, no OTT sparkliness, just a subdued glowy sheen that is flattering to middle-aged lids and appropriate for day.

So why no 5 rating? It's the lack of color range in the palette. It's not that I crave crazy colors-- I'm a devoted neutral girl and can appreciate the subtle differences of various beiges and browns (I love the Incognito quint, for example). I agree the colors in Elegante are beautiful neutrals in the peach/golden family, but there is just not enough variation here for 5 shadows. The middle and top left colors are too close to the bottom right to be essential. I needed one lighter color with a teensy bit less gold/shimmer for a highlight and/or lid base, and I would have loved one color in the palette with a matte or very low sheen for some options--it could have been midtone or deep, a beigey bronzey neutral or a lovely pop of color.

I hate that when I open this relatively expensive and five-color palette I want/need to open another for a brow highlight or deep liner or matte contour/base. Hence my 3 star rating and "would not buy again" choice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 10:08:00 PM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a very hard quad to pull off, however, fortunately for me, it works. I agree that this is a very good choice for those who are very pale (I'm NW10) --- I have blonde hair ,however, I have brown eyes with gold in them, and I have to be careful of a lot of colors as they can be harsh, but yet Elegante really brings out my eyes ....... I can only use 3 of the 5 shades, but they really play up my eyes ...... since I am so pale, these light shades actually go on darker on me, but again I get a very classic look ...... I am very pleased with this quad and thinking of purchasing a spare.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2009 12:05:00 PM More reviews by kimk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm a fool for beautifully neutral shadows, and thought this would be perfect. It looked it in the pan, but even on my NC25 skin, the 4 lightest shades look alike! It's not that they disappear, there's just no difference in them on. :( The quality is typical Dior, tho - outstanding! They're almost creamy smooth to apply, and they have *JUST* the right amount of shimmer for me! I wept as I packed it up to send back.... If you are -very- fair, and want a set of everyday shadows, this is what you need!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by sakuraness

If you're looking for neutrals, this is what you should get. Very sophisticated and attractive colours. The colours are highly pigmented yet subtle against my golden asian complexion. The powder is finely milled and beautifully pressed in a quilt pattern. As expected from Dior, the compact is absolutely beautiful and I just had to have it for my collection. The price is oh so steep but in terms of high end products they are simply top notch.