E.L.F. Studio Powder Brush

Price: $

synthetic, cruelty-free hair

on 8/25/2015 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Eh, I like the brand E.L.F but there definitely are some hits and misses.

This was a miss. The bristles are packed so densely and tight together that it makes applying a light setting powder nearly impossible. I found this made my base look way too cakey. If you're going for a heavy, full coverage finish look then it's great. But I already use a thick foundation...so powder has to be minimal. Another issue I have with this brush is the flat top. That made application even harder.

I suppose the only good things I have to say about this brush is the fact it's affordable, well made (albeit not my style), and the bristles are very soft. I have not experience any shedding.

on 8/23/2015 4:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I first bought this brush in 2010. I absolutely loved it. I used it with liquid foundation and it gave me amazing coverage. The brush was dense and did not soak up product. I got a replacement one a couple of years after that, still awesome. I recently bought another brush and was disappointed. While it was super soft, it was not dense. It did not apply the way it once used to. I actually can't use it with liquid products at all anymore. However, since it's so soft, it's a nice brush to use for powders.

on 8/13/2015 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had not seen this E.L.F. Studio brush @ either Target or WalMart in ages then spotted it about 3 weeks ago. I washed my face so I could try it as soon as I got home. 1st thing I noticed was how soft it was. Wow! No funky smell & no shedding straight out the packaging. I love the sleek black handle, too. It fit my hand really well. I tried it w/Covergirl Clean Normal Skin Foundation in Creamy Natural. That's my darkest foundation. The brush gave amazing nearly-full coverage w/one layer! I washed it & set it on paper towel to dry. Next day, I tried Rimmel Lasting Finish 25Hr. That's already a medium to full coverage base. The brush was friendly w/it, too. Full coverage w/one layer & no heavy feeling. I still use fingers for them on occasion but the E.L.F. "Powder" brush rocks! It's so fast & simple to apply my foundations now. The brush is also easy to wash & rinse & dries quickly. I've already purchased a back-up. So, $6 for two premium-feeling brushes makes me very happy. I tried it for powder also but I'll stick to my old but sturdy Covergirl Powder brush. It's also dense & soft & non-shedding. I have a full review of it on MakeupAlley. I've never used it for liquids/creams b/c it does so well w/powders & the brush head is a bit large for that task. E.L.F.'s is a great size so, yay!

on 8/12/2015 2:31:00 AM

My holy grail of brushes. It is so versatile and I use it for liquid foundation, bronzer, blush, and even powder. I have so many at home and it's the first brush I pick up. I love how affordable it is and is of fantastic quality! You can't go wrong with this brush. It's soft and awesome!

on 8/9/2015 10:27:00 AM

I love this brush! I repurchased this after having to throw it out a long time ago. I really like it for applying both powder and liquid foundation. I think I had to throw it out before because the glue came off after washing it so many times. It was cheap ($3?) so I can't complain. If it comes off again, I may have to consider buying a "higher end" version, but right now I will use this.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This is the one makeup brush i cannot live without. I first started using it about 5 years ago and never looked back. This is a must for liquid foundation application. I don't even know how i applied foundation before this brush. The flat top is what makes this brush a superstar. I put a little foundation on the back of my hand and dip the brush in and then stipple the liquid on my face. No matter what brand or formula of foundation i buy this brush applies it evenly and flawlessly. It covers everything and blends it in around my jawline effortlessly. Just a little bit goes a long way with this brush. Now the one i purchased 5 years ago from the website was much sturdier than they are now. I have since bought multiple ones from target and have found the handle starts to get loose after a while and need replacing more often but the application is still the best. For the price i don't mind replacing them frquently. I also use for powders and bronzers as well. Elf products are always a hit or miss but this brush is worth far more than the price.

on 7/17/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just picked up this brush and I already really enjoy it! It feels very soft to the touch and it feels good on my face. The price is good for such a good quality drugstore brush. I use it with my Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Translucent and it works very well! I just dot it on my face especially in my T-Zone! The only problem I have with this and actually with all E.L.F. brushes is they tend to not really stay in shape that well, especially if you have a heavy hand, like me.

on 7/9/2015 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This brush is my holy grail for foundation application (ELDW)

the brush fits in my hand nicely, the hairs/bristles are the perfect length and blend amazingly.
the brush head sometimes gets loose and comes apart from the handle due to the glue breaking down, but it's easy to re-glue back on or easy to repurchase since it's so inexpensive

This brush is flat-topped and dense which makes it perfect to get a lot of coverage and all the hairs make it easy to blend. This brush never gives me streaks. if you're getting streaks, it's probably because the brush needs to be cleaned
It doesn't shed on me (I usually clean w/ sonia kashuk brush cleaner), and it dries really quickly. what's not to love?!

honestly, all the elf brushes are great. it's not luxurious like some high-end brushes, but it does give an amazingggg finish (worth so much more than $3)

on 7/7/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an awesome powder brush for the price. You really can't afford to not at least try it out -- if you hate it, you're only out $3! I use it to pat powder onto my t-zone after applying tinted moisturizer (BalmShelter), and it deposits color evenly yet lightly, and the bristles are super-soft too -- but not too soft! (I find a pushing/patting motion to be more effective at keeping my skin matte, but the brush is equally good at dusting the powder as well.) To clean the brush, I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, and it dries quickly overnight and is left as soft as ever. I've had this brush for at least 2 years and it hasn't shown any signs of weakening (shedding hairs, etc.), but I would replace it in a heartbeat. I should probably head to Target and get a backup just in case. :)

on 7/1/2015 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This has seriously changed my makeup routine for the better. My foundation application takes less time, uses less product and creates a more natural finish. I have two of these brushes and the one that I use most (going on 2+ years) has done quite a bit of shedding and the adhesive has begun to show. At $3 it doesn't hurt to replace it, I have and will repurchase!