September 21, 2014 | 1480 users online

Eye Shadow - Almay - pure blends eyeshadow - 205 cocoa

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 8:42:00 PM More reviews by keiki300

I got pure blends in a few colors because they were on sale but this one is way too sheer and does not last even with primer. It sort of just falls off. Petal and Ivory are wonderful and Sage also too sheer. But this one has too little pigment. I think this line is discontinued. Not sure though. One bad thing...THE SMELL.....it is not a pleasant smell but it is not rancid either. Smells like dirt, hence natural. Packaging is really pretty, compact with a magnetic closure and cardboard box with is biodegradable which makes me wonder why they don't do that all the time. But girls, I would pass on these unless you get them for 2 bucks each like I did. Also really good for those who love a natural look. That would not be me....I cake it on

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

wow! I love love love these Pure Blend Single Shadows from Almay. Great for beginners & those who love the natural look but want to look pretty & put together!
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- These Pure Blend shadows must be being discontinued since I found mine at my local discount stores (Dollar Tree & Big Lots) so that sucks! Great price since they are $1-3 so great deal considering they are normally around $4 in drugstores. so if you can find them @ a great discount- grab em!!
SHADE- Keep in mind these are Natural looking shadows, "COCOA" is probably one of my most used Almay shadows since its soo pretty & unique. It does look like a simple shimmery bronze shade in the pan but try it on the skin & you will see how truly gorgeous this shadow is! COCOA is a mid tone milk chocolate shadow with cool gray undertones. Its a brown taupey shade. I love my taupes & this is one of the ones i use alot. It does have a sheen, almost metallic but not quite. Its a mid tone brown gray taupe shade, Def does look like Cocoa.I dont see any red undertones which i love! I use it all the time for brown smoky looks, creating outer corner definition. great for any look! i use this ALOT! & bought a backup bc its a staple for me. Its a great taupe to add to your collection.
FORMULA- these Pure Blend shadows are very natural looking and sheer but they are pressed well w/ little to no fallout. The formula is super smooth & feels butter soft. These are great quality shadows. They go on easy w/ any brush & blend nicely. Can be built up for more intensity but these are more natural & sheer. Dont expect bright vibrant colorful- these are all neutral shadows which i love to use since im a neutral girl. They are natural & great for those with sensitives to dyes/ingredients so they dont irritate anyones skin. They will stay put all day long esp w/ a primer & base. On their own, you will get about 6 hrs wear which is great for drugstore shadows.
PACKAGING- this is what i love about these single shadows..its so pretty & unique! These come in a cardboard plastic ivory/cream white square compact w/ a magnetic closure. They have green/purple writing/labeling. The shade name is located on the back information area. The front top lid has a plastic see thru window so seeing the shadow inside is easy. nice too esp if you have more than one like i do. i can see what color i need to grab. i love the magnetic closure, its invisible to the eye but closes & opens so easily. These are sturdy & great for any makeup bad or on the go. Keeps the shadow safe. Also- you get a TON of shadow. they are square pans a little bigger than a quarter in size. So i use these alot & havent even made a dent! so it will last forever
Overall- These are one of my favorite shadows since i love natural, neutral makeup that makes me look like i tried w/out looking crazy. I love using these daily since theyre easy to make a look with. Cocoa is my favorite of them all probably since i love me a taupe shadow. its a brown taupe shade. theres no purple undertones so it will work well for any skin tone. Taupes are universally flattering and look amazing on...so if you can find Cocoa- id pick this one up for sure. Id even pay regular price for this one. Love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by curlygurlie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I picked a few of these up for two bucks. Although they aren't very pigmented, I'm able to get a decent color payoff with a good primer. Nothing spectacular, just average.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but some of these Almay pure blends products have a rancid smell that I find offensive. I tried a lip gloss in fig that made me gag when I put it on and now this has that same foul smell. I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by beautifullydifferentface

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Hi! I think that this products is more for the girls who like natural looks. I agree with everyone else when they say it comes off very light! I don't like that powder is not compressed anymore when you get done swiping your brush through it. It doesn't show up powdery on you, but it is in the packaging!
The packaging is okay...I think that since it is powdery that it makes the package more messy...which I don't like.
The overall rating was 3 b/c I have seen better, but I do like the fact that it is natural and I found it at the dollar tree.
The full price compared to the product is terrible in my opinion! I would never pay full price for this product.
The packaging is cool because of the magnetism and recycled so that is the only reason I gave it a 2 instead of a 1.
Overall I would say try for a different natural eyeshadow...and I am on a very tight budget and am saying this, and try to make use of every product.
If you have any other questions be sure to ask:)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2009 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Paris334

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a no-go for me, too. I got it on clearance so I can't complain but I wouldn't bother with any of the Almay Pure Blends shadows again. This is a really pretty color in the package but it come out nothing like that! Perhaps I need to consider other uses for items that don't look the way I think they should according to how they look in the package (i.e. one reviewer said she likes it as a soft taupe color - I am just irritated that it's not cocoa! She's probably got a better outlook on it than I do but I wanted to buy a cocoa-colored shadow.)

Anyway - I was disappointed by this - also got 200 Ivory on clearance and I feel the same way about that one. It's just OK and I find myself pushing them out of the way all of the time to get at other things. I essentially never use them.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 2:43:00 AM More reviews by RayvnNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This isn't bad. I only paid little over a $1 for it so no complaint on that. It's less of a cocoa color and more of a taupey brown. It's pretty, but not super pigmented. It makes a nice wash of color though for a simple look. I like this on the lid with a nice deep bronze in the crease. But the packaging sucks! I traveled with this and the plastic cover has a big dent in it now. Also, I know it's biodegradable and everything, but it's this huge square of cardboard around the eyeshadow. Seems like a waste. I might rebuy this if it was $1 again, but probably not full price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2009 11:07:00 PM More reviews by asr2005

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This applied smoothly as a subtle hint of brown, which I really liked. However, it is not very dramatic at all, and so I can understand others' disappointment. I would give this three lippies for the reasonable packaging, the color in general, and the way it looked on me. Would most likely repurchase, but only if on sale again (i.e. BOGO).

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2009 12:38:00 PM More reviews by mogwai

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is just horrible. I was expecting a medium brown shade (COCOA!!), based on the name and the way it looked in the package--not so!! I have fair skin and this is barely noticeable on my skin. Avoid at all costs!!! Into the garbage!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2009 12:47:00 AM More reviews by Kiraboo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried many eyeshadows looking for that perfect blend of brown and grey...I think I have found it. It does look like a darker brown in the store, but it goes on as a soft taupe. The colour is beautiful. The finish is very smooth and blends very well, though the coverage is light. I don't mind that as I prefer to control the colour by adding layers to achieve the right amount of depth. It also lasted through the day with no creasing or flaking or fading. LOVE this eyeshadow. I gave it a 2 for packaging as the magnetic lid keeps snapping shut and I have to keep opening it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2009 1:46:00 PM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Do not be fooled by the beautiful medium chocolate brown color you see in the package. The shade this turns to on human skin is a sheer, light taupe. You have to pack it on to really see anything which still isn't that much. I'm all for the natural ingredients and the packaging is unique but I'm very disappointed in the color. It's ok but in today's economy I cannot afford to buy colors I don't need since I don't like to return cosmetics.