September 19, 2014 | 1179 users online

Liquid - Boots - Botanics Complexion Refining Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by heatherbelleday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Well it smells nice and the colour match was wonderful for me. HOWEVER it was very difficult to apply smoothly and it did not wear well. So disappointing! I bought it on clearance at Target but it was still $8.98 plus sales tax.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by arianell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used to think that this was my HG liquid foundation (I wear the shade Coriander, which I believe is the lightest shade they currently offer). I like the amount of coverage it offers, I don't mind the way it smells, it has a nice not-too-matte, not-too-shiny finish, and I find that it blends very well onto my skin. Out of all of the foundations I own, this is the one I most like the look of, immediately after I apply it.

However, this foundation simply is NOT long-wearing, even with a high-quality primer underneath. It's mostly gone in an hour or two, which is endlessly frustrating. Also, the heavy glass bottle isn't convenient for me to carry around in my bag. I've repurchased it once, but I won't be doing so again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by hellokittyprincess

This is the worst foundation I have ever tried. The worst part about it was that I got several cystic pimples when using it. The next worst part was that it was thick and messy and did not apply well. It smelled bad, too. I also didn't like the spatula type of applier. I was hoping something more natural would be calming to my skin but it did the exact opposite for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I read the ingredients. I tested and purchased 20Cumin, which I thought was a strange name. I liked the clean smell. And I thought I would not be oily since that is what is used.
The color was a good match. I usually Classic Ivory colors, 2nd or 3rd in any makeup foundation .
But, after an hour of yoga in an air conditioned room with light poses, I was an oil slick. When I used the cell phone, the foundation transferred to the screen-not pretty.
Also the spatula that it has to pull the foundation out is a bit messy. I like glass bottles, but it would have been cleaner with a pump or without the spatula.
So I am disappointed.
I think the price is fair if it works for you. It's not fair if it doesn't!
The problem is I bought it at Target, which only gives you store credit not a return of your money- I guess is fair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 10:24:00 PM More reviews by biscottii

This foundation, unlike others, doesn't make my face look orange or pink. There is a lovely yellow undertone to it (which I've been looking all over for). The price is decent, and the texture/effectiveness of the foundation itself is great. Awesome choice for those dealing with acne. I myself suffer from the occasional outburst of crazy acne, as well as acne scars. The coverage is decent, and feels lightweight. Also a two thumbs up for the smell! I absolutely hate the disgusting scent of drugstore foundation on my face. But this foundation smells like a nicely scented, floral-y lotion. Natural finish. Would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by cherrypie528

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation from Target, which seems to carry a limited selection of shades. I picked Nutmeg, which was the darkest one they carried, and it's a tad too light for me, at least with my summer tan. Boots seems to make darker shades, as they list them on their website, but neither Target nor drugstore.com seems to carry them. LAME. I like everything else about this foundation- good coverage (sheer to medium), doesn't break me out (and almost all liquid foundations do), doesn't look like I have a mask on, doesn't oxidize, doesn't leave me looking like an oil slick. If only I could get 1 shade darker, it would be perfect!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2010 1:50:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was kind of excited to see this French-made foundation by Boots Botanics so cheaply on eBay. It's designed for oily skin "with clarifying rosemary and burdock extracts". I'm always looking for something new that copes with my oilies so I thought I'd give this a shot. But I'm disappointed. Maybe I need to experiment with primers or application techniques but I'm really not sure about this foundation. It just doesn't apply well for me. It goes on patchy and uneven if I use fingers (damp sponge is better). It also clings to dry patches and doesn't play nice if you want to layer it. Once I successfully apply it, I can see that it has light coverage and a satin-matte finish.

Pros:
--the shade Almond is a fantastic match for my fair NC20 skin. It's neither too yellow nor too pink.
-- I kind of like the dipstick applicator! It's not as awesome as a squeezy tube but I can work with it. It beats a regular glass bottle.
--generous 25ml
--cheap cheap cheap on eBay!
--no sunscreen (yes this is a pro because sunscreen can make oily skins more oily)
--water based.

Cons:
--hard to get an even finish
--sensitive skins may need to watch out for the botanicals in it
--glass bottle is not great for travel.

Right now I'm trying this out as tinted moisturiser as it mixes really nicely with one of my Avene lotions. This helps it apply better. 3 lippies from me.

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Steareth 21, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Zinc Oxide, Mica, Cyclohexasiloxane, Steareth 2, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Talc Sodium polyacrylate, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (Rosemary), Propylparaben, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Dipropylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Hexylcinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Sodium Hydroxide, May Contain (+/-): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Cl 77491 (Iron Oxides), Cl 77499 (Iron Oxides)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2010 10:55:00 AM More reviews by OliveButtercup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After being a tinted moisturizer girl, I was hesitant to switch over to foundation because I was afraid of it being too thick, looking cakey or too overdone, or clogging my pores and causing breakouts. So far this product has done none of the above and is a great starter foundation. After using it for about a week, I've started to find that my skin is actually clearer, although I started using MAC's prep & prime around the same time so I can't say for sure it's the foundation. Initially I was a little turned off by the odd plastic wand packaging and the fact that the product looks a little bit thick and clumpy. I mix it with a little tinted moisturizer to help smooth out the consistency and then I apply it with a stippling brush. My skin looks great and I'm shine-free for most of the day. This product hasn't clogged my pores or caused me to break out and I actually like the weird little wand now, at least I don't have to dump it out of the bottle.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by kanka999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ugggg....thank goodness I got is for half off at Target. The color was a great match but:

1. Product totally separted and looked really splotchy on
2. I felt like an oil slick within 3 hours
3. Don't care for the no-pump bottle.

This is now up for swap.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2009 11:41:00 AM More reviews by burtonsbunny

Ok, so I wanted to try this foundation for a couple weeks before I reviewed because every single foundation I have tried (from powder to liquid to mouse) has caused clogged pores on my forehead. This foundation looks like it would be heavy in texture but once you put it on your face it feels really light weight, hardly noticeable feeling on the skin. It has medium coverage and the best part is: IT DOESN'T CLOG PORES! The colors are great, I have yellowish skin and it's hard to find foundation that isn't pink or orange. It also doesn't have a strong smell and is really easy to remove (I think because it doesn't sink into pores in the first place). You get a lot in the bottle for the price (like $13 at Target). I highly recommend this foundation based solely on the fact that it is the only one I have tried that doesn't cause acne or clogged pores (and believe me, I have tried a lot).