April 19, 2014 | 1751 users online

Scrubs - Raw Milk/ Milk Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Milk as a cleanser is awesome. Just make sure to use milk which has no additives or gums/carrageenan. Using half-and-half or whole milk with some heavy cream added, works wonders for winter skin. I sometimes add the contents of a Vit E capsule to this mix.
Forget about using skim milk - it is useless as a skin cleanser and even as a food! Skim milk is the biggest scam from the food industry but this is probably not the platform for that discussion.

My regime is - Apply a bit of sesame oil all over. Get some exposure to the morning sun if possible. After 15 minutes or so, I take a quick shower spray then turn off the shower. I apply the milk on the wet skin. Since it is runny, I just take drops of milk in my hand from a spouted or notched container and apply on the skin by lightly rubbing. Leave the milk on the skin for upto five minutes. Then rinse off without using too much water. Pat dry.
Milk soothes any nicks or cuts on the body and is totally safe to be used for delicate areas.

Other ideas are to boil a clean turmeric root in milk and use the golden milk as a cleanser. It is extremely effective as a cleanser and gives a radiance to the skin as well as disinfects. Try to avoid using store-bought turmeric powder as it may have contaminants!
You can also use chamomile tea or marigold infused milk or a bit of grated cucumber boiled in the milk as these herbs are soothing to the skin and great for rashes or sunburns. Herbs like rosemary or lavender may be harsh even though they smell great.
For the hot and humid summer, I boil a bit of vetiver root in milk and use that along with a pinch of sandalwood powder, as it is cooling.

Note - if only milk+cream is too runny a mix, you can add some goat milk powder or besan (chickpea flour).

Even though soaps with the myriad scents and textures available, are tempting and chic, I have given up using any soaps or lye-based cleansing agents as they are extremely harsh on the skin and the bad effects (skin problems, rashes, burns, fissures etc) show up all of a sudden after years of using soap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2009 5:04:00 AM More reviews by ias23

this rocks! i use powdered milk as my cleanser or mask, i do mix this with a bit water and sometimes my regular cleanser to make a paste.. it cleans my face with or without makeup very well and it gently exfoliates my face, it helps me get rid of my blackheads and give me a super soft, nice glow everytime i use it.. no breakouts, no irritations even on my eyes, it smells so yummy and no worries on chemicals or anything.. i love milk stuffs!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2009 3:15:00 PM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have some whole milk that was past the expiry date, so I use it to apply to my face now. It's a cleanser/mask for me. I pour about 2 teaspoons in a little plastic bowl and sprinkle in some turmeric and apply it like a runny mask with a foundation brush. Let it dry and applied some more. Let that dry and then rinse it off. My face is actually glowing! Turmeric is antibacterial and healing too. In India in the old days when you got a cut, they would put turmeric on it and it would heal faster. I've been doing it every evening for about 4 days and my face is soft and clean each time after doing this. If you are going to use turmeric though, use VERY little so you don't stain your face or washcloth. Turmeric stains are difficult to remove.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2009 9:19:00 AM More reviews by rbyars1

Ok, put me on the milk cleansing bandwagon..this stuff is great! It's so gentle, and yet it seems to remove all traces of makeup and even mascara (not waterproof) without stripping my skin of moisture like harsh commercial cleansers. I bought the Carnation instant non-fat dry powdered milk which comes in a cardboard box and last night in the shower, I put about a palm full in my hand (some people say to only use a tablespoon but I found that wasnt enough for sufficient coverage) gripping the milk in my hand allowed a few drops of water to soak in until I had a goopy, but not runny mixture to work with. Applied this to my face and massaged it all around including the eyes. I then proceeded to finish the rest of my shower routine with the milk on my face and at the end I rinsed with cool water. It was great, my face felt smooth, soft, clean and not tight or dry at all. Will definately be using milk more often if not everyday to clean my face. Love it alot...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2008 2:41:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love using powdered milk to wash my face. I make a paste with it and a little bit of water, rub rub...slash slash and repeat if needed. If its my bare face then i do this and then Johnson and Jonson purpose soap but if its a made up face I am washing I reverse that and do the "real" soap first. My skin stays fair, clear and soft and I get many compliments on it. I started doing this when I heard French and European women did this hundreds of years ago to stay young looking.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2008 11:17:00 AM More reviews by SaraLee2

I love using milk powder in DIY masks. Its a very gentle exfoliator that is readily available and costs pennies. I have 2 favorites. A moisturizing mask that I use after exfoliating that leaves my skin smooth, plump and glowing. Mix half teaspoon honey with the yolk of an egg and one tablespoon dried milk powder. Mix into a paste and apply thick layer to skin. Remove gently after 20 minutes with warm wash cloth (or rinse in shower is easier). When my pores are looking incredibly large or my skin dull, I use a mask of lemon juice (1 lemon), regular milk (or yoghurt), powdered milk, and Gerber baby oatmeal to a paste consistency. Leave on for 20 min and rinse. Really does brighten my face and makes my pores less visible (don't use lemon juice on open spots).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2008 9:58:00 AM More reviews by azaleadeez

This is great as a gentle daily exfoliator. I love to mix milk powder with lemon juice; mix into a paste and leave on face for 10 minutes or so and it'll brighten your face like crazy. Don't forget to apply it to your neck too! But you'll have to do this every other day or even every day because the results don't last too long.

I found that goat's milk powder gave the best results.

Update: I've stopped using this so often now as it is beginning to make my skin rather sensitive but nevertheless I still love the brightening effects this paste gives.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No