July 26, 2014 | 1872 users online

Hair Treatments - oil mixture: virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by rilokiley1289

For reference, I have medium/fine (though a lot of it) shoulder length dirty blonde hair which lighten with Sun-in (about 3 times a month with the blow dryer). I often blow dry my hair and follow with soft curls/waves from using my Chi flat iron. My hair is mildly damaged with very dry ends and usually just feels all around thirsty/dehydrated.

I use straight up 100% coconut oil (purchased from a locally owned grocery store similar to Fresh Market or Whole Foods) from a jar/tub (Olive oil never worked as well for me and I don't care for the smell). It cost me about $15 for a decently sized jar/tub thing that has lasted over a year. I used to submerge the jar under hot water to melt it, but lately I've found it *much* easier to apply to my hair by just scooping it out while it's semi-solid (it has an almost soft waxy texture like a chapstick) and generously running in through my hair in sections then tie it in a high bun. I've read that since coconut oil penetrates the hair that there is no need to blowdry but I feel like the heat helps so I'll usually blow it on high heat for a few minutes. I put on a cheap cotton headband to keep it from running onto my face/neck (which it will eventually but whatever it's sooo worth it/since I shower after and wash my face I've never broken out from it), cover with a shower cap and then a twistie turby (those thing hair towel things). I like to let it sit as long as possible, though I personally couldn't comfortably sleep with it in, so I'll usually clean and do house work for a few hours. When I get into the shower to rinse it out, I shampoo twice and follow with a normal conditioner. Afterwards my hair feels and looks soooo much healthier, shinier, softer, and way more hydrated. Whenever I want to spend a ton of money on salon quality hair treatments and masks I have to remind myself to just go back to coconut oil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 2:17:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I always have extra virgin olive oil and unrefined organic coconut oil on hand in my pantry. I rarely use them together as a hot oil treatment but it can be easily done by combining both oils in a small bowl and heating in the microwave for ten seconds. Apply to dry hair and either use a conditioning cap or saran wrap to cover it. I let it sit in my hair for about a couple of hours while I do errands around the house. I also love to mix them up in my cheap conditioners to boost them up and sometimes mix them together in my homemade leave-ins. They really do a great job of moisturizing and strengthening my hair. My hair looks less dull as well. I usually do olive oil and coconut treatments a couple of times a month as I am a hair product junkie and have hundreds of hair products to try but I do recommend if you are on a budget or looking for an organic treatment. Just make sure to get Extra virgin olive oil and unrefined virgin coconut oil. It makes a difference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 6:30:00 AM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

I love these two oils used together as a hair mask! I apply this every Sunday night, and leave it on overnight. When I wash it out on Monday morning, my hair is smooth and sleek without being weighed-down.

Make sure you get VIRGIN or EXTRA-VIRGIN Olive and Coconut Oil for the best results.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2012 4:22:00 AM More reviews by icedpinkvega

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

it makes my hair crispy when wet and limpy when it dries. i prefer coconut milk soak. but sometimes i put this mixture on my hair ends when i do coconut milk soak

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2012 2:39:00 PM More reviews by mua_freak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

i use nutiva's extra virgin coconut oil on my hair once every two weeks and i cannot live without it now. i used to use evoo, but it was harder to wash out and i didn't really like the smell. coconut oil smells amazing and makes my hair so smooth and silky, which i used to think was impossible because my hair is so damaged. this has saved my hair so much, i though i was going to have to get a chemical cut. i love it so much i buy it by the gallon now

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by kaisofine

I love mixing natural oils together for my hair and body. I'm up to five oils right now. I would say do your research and pick which oils you need in your day to day life. Because there are more oil options to choose from other then Coconut oil and Olive oil. However, these are great base/carrier oils to start off with. Please, keep in mind that buying oils can be a little pricey, but it's so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2009 2:43:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

What I do is mix Extra Virgin Oil in with a conditioner to create the most luxurious treat for your hair. This will amplify the moisturizing properties of your conditioner for shinier, more manageable hair.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2009 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

You have not experienced truly moisturized hair until you have tried EVOO. This amazing, rich and nourishing oil is good for many skin uses, but not suitable for all skintypes. However EVOO used as a "hot oil" treatment once every two weeks work for anyone, and any hair type. Give it a try :o)
1) Warm about 1/2 a cup (more if your hair is past your shoulders) Extra Virgin olive oil (not just olive oil, must be EV) do not allow the oil to get HOT! (this destroys the oligo minerals in the oil)
2) Apply the EVOO to your hair and scalp. Massage your scalp like a bastard. EVOO will indeed make your hair grow faster. No joke.
3) Using any gentle method of heat (Sun, heating pad, hot towel, hairdrier on low setting) and warm it while it's in your hair, to really help the cuticle absorb it.
4) Shampoo your hair TWICE. Skip the conditioner, seriously. DO NOT use conditioner or your head will be greasy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬TWICE A MONTH!▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
♥ it will become your HG. ♥

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2009 11:19:00 AM More reviews by indiana2008

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

In the Phillippines, virgin coconut oil is considered a miracle oil. Not only is it edible and a source of good, healthy fat, its also great for the hair and skin. For centuries, it has been touted as the ultimate beauty product.

A couple of years ago, my husband got ill for some months. During that time, his skin seemed to age, got rough and had an unhealthy pallor. While he was recovering, he decided to use virgin coconut oil to mosturize his face before bedtime. After a few weeks, we we amazed to see positive changes in his complexion. He was glowing radiantly. His face became smooth and clear so that he looked suddenly youthful!

Encourgaged, I started using it myself and found that the occasional hormonal cystic acne that I get, would dry up. I have a blemish-prone, oily skin with large pores and I found that using VCO seems to lessen the oiliness. The "oil on oil" principle seems to work. So far so good at 40 years of age, I hardly have any lines yet. I usually order our VCO by bulk from Klassic Coconut.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2008 10:48:00 PM More reviews by ragingpunk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have concocted my own oil treatment for hair... it is simply a mixture of extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconot oil. i mix them 50/50 and store it in a small vile will a dropper top. i apply a very small amount to the ends of my hair and ever since ive been doing this, my hair grows sooo long because these oils are actually able to penetrate the hair to really deep condition and prevent breakage. i apply a good amount to the entire length of my hair and wrap it in a warm towel for at least 30 minutes before washing. and i also use it as a leave in deep conditioner by applying a tiny drop only to the very ends of my hair once it is dry. it also eliminates frizziness and makes my hair shiny, i just have to be careful about how much i apply.. since my hair is so fine, i only need a very tiny drop or else my hair will be greasy. but i swear by this mixture and i contribute my healthy hair to it. if you have damaged dry hair and use a lot of heat to style it, i highly recommend trying this

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No