December 21, 2014 | 1695 users online

Bronzers - Make Up For Ever - Mat Bronze

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I purchased this bronzer in the darkest shade offered, I believe it is 40. I've been using it for about four months and although I do think it is just okay, it is nothing I would keep or repurchase. I rated this one lippie because with a makeup artist company like MUFE, I expected a lot more with this bronzer. In my personal opinion, it failed at all the important factors in a matte bronzer.
1. Finish: I have very oily skin. I don't want shimmery bronzers or anything that will make my skin appear more oily. But, I don't particularly care for the ultra matte cake face either. In today's technology with cosmetics, there is no reason to not be able to create something that is matte yet makes skin look natural. Even though this bronzer has no visible shimmer in it, it makes my skin look super oily whenever I use this. It gives this awful greasy shine all over my face. I'm not sure what ingredient is in this to cause it to appear shiny. Also, in pics you can really see the shine. You know who got this finish down pat? NYX! Even though the NYX matte bronzer has it's downfalls too, it does provide a nice flawless matte finish yet making the skin appear natural and not cakey. For the finish alone on this MUFE Mat bronzer, is the #1 reason why I dislike it.
2. Color: It does have a strong red orange hue to it. It does look odd with my medium olive skin tone. As the day goes on, it looks like my face oxidized a few shades to a dark orange color. But, it goes on rather orange right off the bat so it is the actual color that isn't suited for my skin tone. I swatched the lighter shade in this bronzer (20) and it wasn't deep enough to use as a bronzer.
3. Lasting Power: If you are like me with oily to very oily skin, this bronzer doesn't hold up well in the summer. It will start to melt away and fade after about five hours. If I have to go out after work, I will need to blot my face and reapply this bronzer in spots where it has faded away. For comparision, the Wet 'n Wild $2.99 Color Icon bronzers last incredibly well in the hot summer months. They will last even through workouts! I wish they had more matte shades though!
4. Skin Reactions: I was honestly shocked that this bronzer causes bouts of clogged pores and breakouts with daily use. I didn't think anything in the ingredient list would upset my skin but something in this does.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by amberlightsss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

One of my favorite bronzers. My skin is quite fair with yellow/neutral undertones and I got this in the shade 20 Honey which suits my perfectly. It's not too orange or grey, it melts into my skin leaving the bronzed areas looking healthy and glowing. I guess the 20 shade is a good shade for those with pale and fair skin. I also think it will be a little bit too red and warm for those with pink undertone, so be careful and swatch before you buy it cold/pink/blue skinned girls. :)

When you look at it, it looks matte and it's matte when applied as well, but it somewhat makes my skin look glowy. No shimmer or glitter, just a tiny sheen. It's not overly pigmented, if I want to apply a lot of product I have to swirl my brush for a couple of times into the powder, if I just want a tiny hint of bronze I gently just swipe it across the pan and apply. The first time I tried it out I didn't over apply the bronzer to my face because it's not a harsh bronzer like for example the theBalm Bahama Mama which is really pigmented. I prefer the not so pigmented bronzers because it's easy to go overboard with them, and the MUFE one is just perfect for me. The staying power is great, it stays on as good as every other bronzer I've tried, if not even better. One of my all time favorites are the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, but I find this bronzer slightly better! :)

The packaging is pretty looking but has a cheap feel to it (plastic, plastic and more plastic). It also comes with a completely useless sponge, you might want to throw that out and use one of your favorite bronzing brushes. I use this both to contour and to add a hint of glow to my face. If I want a really dewy look I choose another one with shimmer because this won't give you that dewy look, but it will sure make you look healthy and tanned. I have been using this almost everyday since I bought it a couple of weeks ago, I really really enjoy it. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by mickeyrdam

This is an interesting bronzer. On the one hand, it is matte, but when blended across the skin it actually gives a very subtle metallic sheen/cast which can be observed under close inspection. I guess, that is a good property because it adds a bronze glow to the face without any visible shimmer.

The formula of the powder is very silky/smooth due to lots of silica in it. Because of that it actually feels like a setting/mattifying powder.

Bear in mind that this powder has different shades which are numbered! My number is 30 and in it is on the medium/lighter side of bronzers. In terms of undertone, I wouldn't say it is an extremely orangey brown, but I do wish it was a bit more towards red/brick/terracotta and somewhat less yellow/orangey.

It has a lemony smell which I wish it didn't.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2013 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Amerah

AMAZINGGGGGGGG! I have brown asian skin so every bronzer that I try NEVER shows up on my face! I've tried, too faced, benefit, nars, bobbi brown, even the drugstore ones but this is my ultimate bronzer! It's so dark! So if your fair skinned you only need like one swipe! It also LASTS FOREVER!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great matte non-sparkly bronzer! It blends great and the colour is not to dark on my fair skin. It's transformed my look from anemic goth to healthy nature nut. The compact broke after a week of use, which was extremely disappointing. Also it's really big, which matches the price, but takes up a lot of room in my makeup bag... Just bought two-face bronzer because its a better travel size but it doesnt blend or look as natural as this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by akneil

Really love this bronzer. It is perfect for contouring and isn't orangey. It is completely matte - no shimmer. There's not much else to say about it, it's just a great product!

A great dupe for this is the NYC Sunny bronzer. It is almost identical, and it's like 3 dollars…

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:45:00 PM More reviews by erinetcetera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice matte bronzer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Bjet

possibly my most favorite bronzer yet. It's mat so i can use it to contour my face. Good pigmentation too. Yes i will buy again!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2011 4:09:00 AM More reviews by kedery

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this bronzer for contouring my face. i find it good but i think they are pretty good bronzers on the market for less money.
it's good that it is "matte". i wil not buy again.
I use a brush to apply. The sponge is useless.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by waters2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The bronzer gives a beautiful, matte--but not dull--finish. However, with repeated use, it caused breakouts on my extremely reactive skin. My skin is reactive to many products, including Chanel, Nars, and LM, and MAC blushes. Those looking for matte blushes may have sensitive skin to begin with. My skin is not acne-prone. I don't know what oil-absorbing ingredients MUFE has added, but this powder also makes my face feel heavy and oily after a few hours' wear--in the dead of winter. I wish they'd kept this nice and simple. I don't believe in oil-free anything.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No