September 19, 2014 | 1245 users online

Palettes - MAC - Passions of Red: Devoted Poppy: 3 Coral Lips

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2009 3:08:00 PM More reviews by dinoslaggy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bid this on ebay on a pretty sweet price. Overall, this is a good product but gave me no much surprise. First of all, as most people said, the packaging for mac holiday 2008 looks really cheesy and cheap. The lip brush is too tiny that I dropped every time I use it. There are three colors in it. Two lip sticks, Devoted and Soft Talk and a gloss, Transparent Love. The gloss is average, a little orange and beige based. The middle one, though I dunno its name, is very cute. It is like a orange on a pink base. The another is orange still, but darker and has more glitter in it. This two lipsticks do not show much on my pigmented lip, but it turns out pretty still.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2008 5:58:00 AM More reviews by belletrist9

This is for the 3 Coral Lips palette from the MAC Holiday 2008 collection Passions of Red.

I got this when it was 25% off at Nordstrom's, so the price on it definitely wasn't bad. I know most people either love or hate the packaging for this collection - I think it's kind of cheesy, but cute. It's a gorgeous red color. I definitely would have liked it better if it weren't one giant plastic gem and if the case were slimmer, but overall, I think it's still pretty adorable.

The colors inside are a lip gloss in Transparent Love, and two lipsticks in Devoted and Soft Talk. I don't actually know which l/s is which, but the middle shade is more pink, with a bit of a blue base, while the right-most shade is a brighter red with orange undertones. The right-most shade definitely has gold shimmer in it while the pinker shade looks like it has gold and magenta shimmer. The l/g shade looks like it has gold and silver shimmer. I feel like the two l/s are not as pigmented as MAC's regular lipsticks, but I'm used to the Cremesheen formula, which these are quite obviously not. Still, I'm able to mix the two l/s to get quite a nice sheerish red holiday look that is definitely noticeable. I haven't tried the gloss yet, so I'll report back on that when I do.

I've heard numerous reports about this year's palettes not having a deep enough brush depression and too high of a gap inside to keep the brush in place so that it rolls around. Thus, I've just taken the plastic separator and the brush out altogether. I'm a little bit of a clean freak so I don't think I could deal with a dirty lip brush inside the palette even if it stayed in the brush depression and I carry around a lip brush for my lipsticks usually anyways, so this doesn't bother me. The mirror in the compact is fairly large and quite nice.

Overall I like this palette. It was an easy and inexpensive way for me to incorporate two coral/red shades into my collection (didn't have any yet) and I feel that both are highly wearable shades. I would have liked though, if the l/s were a little more pigmented and if the included brush were able to stay inside the brush depression AND came with a little plastic cover. Then it would have been perfect.