April 20, 2014 | 1665 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Cream Eye Liner - Midnight Brown

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 3:04:00 AM More reviews by notoriouskkg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First off, I got this in a 500 point perk from Sephora along with an eyeshadow trio and primer.

I first hated this liner because I didn't have an appropriate brush. To save money, I went out and bought a $3 angled eyeliner brush from e.l.f. (which SUCKED). It took me a while to realize that the problem was with the crappy brush and not the product.

Later, my mom bought me the Smashbox Sepia cream liner from their Girls on Film collection (which is gorgeous), and it included a travel-size cream liner brush. I was finally able to apply my Midnight Brown appropriately and see what a great product it actually is. You get so much product in the jar, as well. I've had this for over a year, and I'm still pretty far from hitting pan (I use this liner at least 2-3 times per week).

This is a great basic liner. The color payoff is awesome, and it's a beautiful chocolate brown, even though the name "Midnight Brown" implies that it is a blackish brown. It is so smooth and creamy, and it glides on my lids so easily. You don't need a lot. In fact, I think most of the complaints are coming from people who are using too much product. If you use too much, it does get smudgey and clumping. So, don't use so much! Also, if you apply it on top of eyeshadow and primer, it lasts all day long.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by Kathryn9

ok firstly i was given this as a gift so I'm not sure how much it costs.

Cons: this is a horrible eyeliner! it is hard to put on because its very dry, you need to build it up to get a nice pigmented line, and by the time you get that it usually has smudged everywhere because this doesn't set very well. However I did say that I would buy this product again... why?

Pros: I gave up on using this as an eyeliner because it just doesn't work, however I have started using it as an eyebrow gel and its amazing! the dry gel consistency holds better than a shadow, and its easier to use than a pencil and it doesnt leave any harsh lines. Because it is quite sheer but buildable, you can use the same product to softly fill in your brows, or to heavily fill them in.

I have used this almost every day on my brows since I was given it... but i think i only attempted to use this as an eye liner twice and then gave up.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2012 1:27:00 AM More reviews by jayescott

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love Smashbox Cream Liners. They go on easily and don't tug on my sensitive eyelid skin. This is a great color, I have it in a set where it's paired with black, and they are my go-to eyeliners. I'm not sure why all of these people are saying it doesn't last all day - I have worn it all day and then left it on at the gym and even after sweating it's still there. I hardly ever use my pencil or liquid eyeliners any more!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Its a beautiful color and you get a ton of product.

But all that don't even matter because............
this stuff NEVER DRIES!!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2011 1:07:00 PM More reviews by carrasco

This is a dark batte brown cream liner in a pot and it's got a huge amount. I am a sucker for brown eyeliner and I feel like I've tried so many brands. This one is the worst one I've ever tried. Mine is not dry but it just isn't as creamy as any other brand I've used. I can't use my usual angled brush to apply it either, I have to use a Mac 209 and that is def not what I prefer to use for applying this eyeliner. I just happen to have it. I literally have to rub my brush back and forth half a dozen times to get the brush loaded up and it seems to hardly grab any product. I have to repeat this process 2 times per eye. It just completely turns me off and my eyeliner takes way longer than it should, or ever has before. I would not buy this again but I will try to finish this up. (it could take awhile)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by jennifurrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff never dries. I bought this as part of a promotional set whikch included a flattop liner brush for $28 (largely because I liked the brush and wanted a brown cream or gel liner). While I love the color and consistency I don't love the way it applies. The cream is pretty structureless... not sure how to describe it... I can't really get it to form a lasting true line. It just seems to sort of splooge out any which way.

I'm annoyed that I spent almost $30 on this liner set since the brush isn't worth the $28 either -- but I suppose at an average of $14 apiece I can live with having had the opportunity to try them out. Maybe I can find another purpose for it... as a dark outer crease base for an intense smoky eye or something. The brush may grow on me... I never know when I'll find that the perfect brush I need for some new purpose suddenly appears when I shop my own stash. So there's that.

Also: setting this liner with a decent quality shadow seems to improve its staying power though not considerably. It's so creamy that eventually it just absorbs into the skin and the color sort of flakes away. Set with a powder shadow after a bit you're left with basically a powder shadow line.

It isn't bad stuff... just not comparable to a long-lasting liner which is pretty much what I'm used to. So maybe this is actually awesome for what it's supposed to do... but somehow I doubt it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 6:06:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product. It's not supposed to be dry and hard, so for heaven's sake if you have a dry or hard one TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE. It's a cream liner, it's supposed to be creamy. I have Midnight Brown in a duo with Thunder that's at least a couple of years old and neither side has changed in texture at all. This product applies and wears nicely, so I would repurchase it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2011 1:14:00 AM More reviews by characterarc

The process I go through when using this:

1. "Why is this so dry?"
2. "Why do I need to load up a ton of this on my brush just to get to BARELY show up on my lashline?"
3. "I've barely applied any and already I need to load up more again."
4. "This is tugging on my lashline."

Don't even try to create a winged eye with this. You will be there all day. The only pro to this product is that it came free in my Sephora 500point perk gift. The cons - in addition to those above - is that its a full size and that I spent my 500pts on this garbage.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2011 6:10:00 PM More reviews by kimmie578

I have noticed a lot of people say that this eyeliner either fades too much or smudges. I have not had those problems with it yet. However, here are a couple things I do that might help keep it in place: I use Laura Mercier eye basics all over my lid, which is nothing short of a miracle worker. After using a very thin eyeliner brush to apply the eyeliner (I apply it right on top of my Laura Mercier Topaz eyeshadow), I then take Laura Mercier Coffee Ground eyeshadow (same dark brown color) and apply it with a smudge brush over the eyeliner. It gives a slight smokey look. I do not put any of the eyeliner on the lower lashes.
While the pot looks teeny tiny, I only use just a little bit with my brush so I can see the product lasting for quite a while, maybe even drying up too much well before I have used it all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Its a black brown, smooth texture, very pliable and buildable. It makes my brown eyes look more mochaish color. It stays all day even in hot heat. I got this free sample pot from sephora, even this will last me a long time. I most likely will purchase. The pigmentation is incredible for a cream liner.