Dabur Vatika Hair Oil

4.1

Coconut Oil, Neem, Brahmi, Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar, Kapur Kachri, Henna, Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil, TBHQ, Fragrance

on 2/2/2015 6:13:00 PM

Oh my gosh... how did I ever forget about this lovely product?! I used it years ago when I was in junior high! I "borrowed" it from my mom, and after finishing it I wasn't sure if it was available in Canada since my aunt bought it from India, while on a trip there.

Years later, I was looking through old photos and noticed the blurry bottle. I searched and searched trying to figure out the name. The photo was too blurry to see. Finally when I was randomly looking at weird products at my local Asian grocery store, I saw this! Oh thank goodness. Finally!

I absolutely love the smell of it. Some reviewers here aren't too fond of it, but I even open the bottle randomly to sniff it. It's like my drug!

It leaves my hair silky smooth, soft, shiney, and beautiful. You only need a very small amount, especially if you have thin hair like I do, with Sahara desert dry ends.

I also use it as a deep conditioning treatment once a week, rotating it with my other oil mixes (so one week Vatika, the next week my oil mix, repeat). I cover my head with a plastic bag, wrap a towel around it and let my hair soak up the goodness for as long as I can (a minimum of 2 hours, and up to all day sometimes).

Of course you don't need to use it as a deep conditioning treatment like I do, it works great using a little and working it into your ends.

I've read about the benefits of alma, and henna, as well as other ingredients in this bottle that may promote hair growth. I'm not sure if it will or not, I'll update after some use.

The only two annoying things about this product are:

1. Coconut oil hardens at room temperature so it requires heating. I just put the bottle in a bowl of hot water and wait a few minutes. It's actually better to use oils when they are warm, but it may be annoying to some so I thought I'd mention it.

2. The lid on the bottle popped off while I was trying to squeeze the bottle, I was in a rush and didn't leave it in the warm water. The oil gushed out and I lost quiet a bit due to my impatience. The lid is annoying either way though, I hope they change it!

I highly recommend this product, it's everything you need for healthy hair. I love the Vatika line, and have purchased their black seed hair mask (see separate review). This oil is one of the oils that does NOT contain mineral oil from the Vatika line. Most, or all, have mineral oil which I don't like. I can't wait to try more products and review them. :)

on 10/24/2014 1:27:00 PM

Firstly it made my hair soft and smoothed in 1 week. in 2 weeks i used it again however it made my hair so dry and knotty. i thought to my myself i might use it again but it made my hair dry again which it made me angry. i wont ever use this product again. right now i am using parachute coconut oil.

on 10/22/2014 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Thenaturalzee.tumblr.com blog does a good review!

on 7/29/2014 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

#1 i have dry course 4C natural afro hair (colour treated) and this stuff makes my hair freel amazing.

I don't know how this coconut oil differs from regular extra virgin coconut oil but my hair always feels soooooo soft for days after i slather this in. I have been using this on and off for years and only when I came across it again in my local walmart for $3 i grabbed it up and recall how good it is.

I dont mind the smell...but I hate the packaging. When its liquid its not bad but when it is solid.. you cant get it through the tiny little hole you have to poke through the top. and pulling out the little cork is kind of hard.

100% works for me

on 5/9/2014 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I am Bengali so technically Indian I guess. This hair oil did not do anything much for me. I didnt get added shine, moisture, etc. My hair tends not to have much of a reaction to coconut oil anyway and benefits from thicker oils like almond oil, blackseed oil, olive oil, mustard oil (especially - WARNING - it stinks).

I also wasnt too fond of the smell of the vatika oil.

On the bright side it doesnt contain the unnecessarily mineral oil.

I had to chuckle at the comment by an MUA reviewer who thinks most Indian women rely on using budget hair oil as the secret to beautiful hair - by and large, our hair tends to start off naturally shiny and healthy anyway, so I'm afraid it IS largely down to genetics. Having said that, we too can have our share of hair woes later in life (a common one being thinning, which I'm currently experiencing myself). There are several varieties of this hair oil that you can use to enhance/rescue your locks if money is tight or you don't have time or the knowledge to blend your own. I am not a snob when it comes to such things, I have my own array of blended drugstore-bought hair oils, mainly for my teen daughter's use, although I will always forego mineral oil in favour of coconut oil (which, incidentally is always solid unless it is fractionated - just pop in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it easier to squeeze out). On the whole, this oil is very good for the price, hence it gets four lippies from me.

on 12/17/2013 3:02:00 AM

I always adored Indian and Arabian women hair, so I decided to try some of indian/arabian hair treatments, to see if there will be the same effect on my dark blond European hair.
First I was amazed with thickness of Vatika hair oil. For me "Oil" is always liquid and if it is hard then it is "butter" :-). In this case I was wrong and hair oil became liquid after I put it in warm water.
I like the smell: for me it is a lemon cake.
I pour 1-2 table spoons in a small saucer, dip fingertips into oil and massage into scalp and my short hair are any way covered during that time. I put on a plastic wrap, sometimes towel to keep it warm and leave for 2-3 hours, depending how much time I have. Then shampoo it and no additional conditioner.
First time I saw hair in the sink, but as time goes by "hairfall" became less. I use this hair oil every second day a week. I think it will be very effective to use it during sauna or Turkish hammam rituals.
I like the oil and decided to try Dabur Vatika shampoo to see if it will multiply my hair :-)

on 12/13/2013 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Why did I not research this before trying it? It is TERRIBLE. Plain coconut oil with castor oil and almond oil works better. Or the heavenly monoi oil with sandalwood I alternate with. even moroccan argan oil.

This has 'parfum' (vague, could contain any amount of allergens) and BHT? Really?? No wonder it makes me itch, any bit that touches skin (such as the nape of the neck or AHEM the scalp) becomes extremely irritated, I can feel rash itching everywhere. This is just ONE use. i don't care to revisit this nightmarish experience, when my plain, DIY hair oil will suffice and probably works loads better! Ugh. Gosh my scalp feels like it is BURNING. Oh God some of it touched the tops of my ears and they are burning! I feel a welt forming on my back where a bit of this dripped from my hair. never again.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I've been using this on my relaxed hair for about 3 years and it is wonderful.... it almost changes the roots of my hair to be smoother even while I'm stretching relaxers.... I highly recommend this product.:-)

on 12/10/2013 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I like this, my friend introduced me to it and bought me a bottle at an Indian grocery store. It's super cheap, like $2-5 Cdn depending on the size, maybe cheaper/more expensive depending on where you live. It's coconut-oil based, so has that thick, solid at room temperature, slightly gritty feel but I just rub it between my palms and it melts right away. I use a 1-2 drops (less than 1/2 tsp) for the length of my hair (past bra strap, nearing bum length, about 25' long) for pre-wash oiling so if your hair is shorter you will only need a tiny amount as with most oils, that way it won't be greasy. For "deep conditioning" or when I have more time, I use about 2-3 tablespoons and massage throughout length of hair and apply this either overnight or for at least a few hours before shampooing and conditioning and it makes my hair smooth and silky. I don't like the smell too much (although I never liked the smell of Amla or neem oils, not just from this brand) but it's fine because I wash it out and then you can't smell it anymore. After putting the oil in my hair I wrap it up in a high bun and cover with a scarf so the oil doesn't transfer. I like the bottle because it's easy to travel with and because the product is solid, there's no mess if it falls or something. Easy to squeeze out the amount I need.

I would repurchase, nice mix of good oils for hair. Keeps my hair healthy, easy to comb and shiny plus it's cheap and a smaller bottle lasted me almost a year.