November 24, 2014 | 1124 users online

Hair - GHD - Fat Hair Lotion For All-Over Volume [DISCONTINUED]

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2010 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Bindi7

I really wanted to be blown away by this but was disappointed. I applied a couple of pumps to my fine hair and then blow dried. My hair felt thicker for about 10 minutes but then just looked the same. I have since found much better volumisers/thickeners that i am really pleased with so i apply a bit of this from my mid length-ends before using my GHD's and feel it helps retain a bit of bounce to the hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2009 9:57:00 AM More reviews by domishopping

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this product and gave it an honest go based on the reviews here. But whichever way I used it, I always ended up disappointed. And that is despite the fact that I have a lot of hair and although fine, it does hold volume reasonably well.

But with the Fat Hair Lotion I noticed only a little bit of volume that would fall quickly (despite using round hairbrush and a professional hair-dryer) and I certainly did not get the sexy slept-in look the next day somebody mentioned in the other reviews. I assumed that my hair was just too long and heavy to be lifted properly, but I kept using it regularly for months because it did make my layers slightly more defined and because it isn't cheap.

Then, following advice on the hair board, I clarified my hair in order to get rid of the build-up of styling products and air-dried it. Amazingly, all of a sudden I had more volume than I was ever able to achieve with the Fat Hair Lotion! And that is despite using quite a heavy leave-in conditioner on my lengths and ends and air-drying (which usually leaves my hair flat flat flat). Alarmed, I ran to the bedroom in order to check the list of the ingredients on the bottle... and sure enough, it contains dimethicone - a silicone which is not water-soluble and which builds up easily even if you shampoo with sulfates (as I regularly do). So, in the long term, this product coats your hair (hence initially you might think it looks thicker) and makes it flatter than before after just a few uses.

To be honest, I don't really understand the point of a volumising product that does not give you that much volume and instead, in the long term, actually makes your hair limper and flatter. The thought of buying it again makes me laugh and I would certainly never recommend it. I still have half a bottle left and that is going straight to the bin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 7:32:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Maybe I'm missing something, or using this wrong.
But I got a sample, and I've tried it 3 times, and each time, ... I just wish I should rewind, and NOT put this goop in my hair.

First Try - Used sparingly, I didn't notice much result.
Second Try - Used more. My hair felt weighted down, limp, very flat ... I was worried that somehow I had failed to rinse out all of my conditioner, or that maybe I hadn't dried my hair thoroughly enough.
Third Try - Conditioner definitely rinsed out, hair dried and dried and dried, and dried some more. Frustration: "This stuff doesn't work" - husband: "it looks like your hair is still a little damp" ... stop back, more drying, drying, fluffing, drying, round brush, the works - no change.
And I don't have hair that typically refuses to take on any volume ... the volume's not great, I'd like a bit more ... but this was worse than when I used nothing.

And that's why samples are a good thing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by JClarke

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I went away and had my hair done for a special occasion and the stylist used this on my fine hair. The results were so amazing I bought some myself. She blow dried my hair out and it made my hair look very thick and shiny - and it lasted for days. I asked her if it would be as effective if I scrunched my hair and she said it would, provided I used a hairdrier. Apparently it is heat-activated so it's the heat from the hairdryer that's helping it along.

I came home and used it myself and was very disappointed. I have to say that maybe what was so amazing was this hairdresser and not the product she used! (It was only a cheap blow dry as well!) It did make my hair a little thicker but nothing like the result she got, and it didn't have that shine either (I guess it wouldn't because it was the blowdrying that aproduced that effect).

But it does show that, used by the right person, this can be a very good product. I just haven't got the knack yet!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2009 2:53:00 AM More reviews by verte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow this is amazing stuff for all the fine-haired people out there. I have medium-length highlighted straight blonde hair which is very fine. Most styling products weigh it down. Not Fat Hair. I apply two pumps to my just-washed hair along with a dot of Kerastase Ciment Thermique. After blow-drying my hair is like a lion's mane with loads of body, volume and shine that lasts until the next wash. Usually I wash my hair in the mornings daily, however if I don't, Fat Hair gives me a gorgeous bedhead look that I normally would otherwise spend a lot of time and money trying to achieve. Even my HD commented that my hair felt thicker and she knows how fine my hair is. I suspect that without mixing, this product may be a little drying for me. I don't really notice the scent either. It's pricey (AU$35) but worth it in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 8:57:00 PM More reviews by Duffy0825

I'm torn on this one. On one hand it has given my notoriously fine hair volume, something I've longed for my entire life. On the other hand, it is rather drying - my hair gets static and flyaways by the end of the day. I've also noticed my hair looks dull when I use this product. For $25 a bottle, I feel a little let down. But, it does give me volume, so for now I'm going to use up the bottle and see what else comes down the line. For those of you wondering about the fragrance, the first thing I thought of when I smelled it was Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. It's light and unoffensive - not fruity or medicinal. 3 1/2 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2009 3:35:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This is pretty good for fattening up fine volume-less hair like my own. I apply this all over and blow dry, and then flat iron. My hair feels thicker and silkier. I don't like the scent though - it smells like a drugstore lotion or a fragrance a "mature" woman would wear. Fortunately the smell goes away upon drying. If it were unscented I'd give it the 5.

I've only used this several times, so I will update with any developments. So far I like the results though! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by dlbd2k06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG! I love this product! ghd Fat Hair Lotion gives my fine hair amazing body. It also gives medium hold. I curl my hair after blowdrying and this holds the curl pretty well. It is sort of a gel like product. I put it on my roots and then I put more in the length of my hair and then comb it through before blowdrying. When I use any other product, I am disappointed and come back to this. It is fairly pricey but totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by circe1202

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

ATTENTION all fine-haired women (and/or those that want volume): this is the real deal! I have baby fine, straight, dry-ish, chin-length virgin hair that gives me the constant battle of getting (and holding) fullness. After picking this up at Sephora, I haven't touched a single other product! I also don't need to change the shampoo/conditioner I'm currently using (Joico Moisture Recovery) for amazing results. It is a thinnish lotion, thinner than gel, with a slight fragrance (the smell doesn't last on dry hair, for those sensitive to fragrance) in a convenient pump bottle. I use a quarter-sized amount (about 4 pumps) in my palm and run it from root to tip on my damp hair right before blow-drying. Next, I blow it dry while using a round brush to style. I don't need to use any products after it's dry, I find that the Fat Lotion does give me hold to the style. The result is the best I've ever had, with natural looking volume and shine, my hair is still soft to the touch, and the volume LASTS. I mean it--my hair still looks great (heck, maybe even a little better) at the end of the day! My SO, friends, and coworkers have all noticed and commented that my hair looks fuller/ "pretty" (and my SO is one of those oblivious men who rarely comments on anything beauty-related! ). I've never gotten compliments on my hair before in my entire life! My only gripe is the price ($25 at Sephora), but it seems like the bottle should last quite a while with the small amount that I need every day. Run, don't walk, to get this if your hair needs a boost!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2008 8:57:00 PM More reviews by jln7124

Absolutely fabulous volumizing product! I have very fine, thin hair and have tried just about every brand out there (Redken, Nexxus, Biolage, Big Sexy Hair, Jonathan, etc) and have found only three that actually gave me noticable volume without making my hair stiff, crunchy or gooey. This is one of them (and quite possibly my fave)- the other two are Chi's Volumizing Glaze and L'Oreal Expert Extreme Volume Spray (both awesome products as well). This stuff delivers incredible results using very little amount of product (and effort!) and best of all- it doesn't deflate an hour after I blow dry. I just use a quarter size amount, run it through my wet hair and blow dry with a round brush. My hair is shiny, bouncy and lightweight and you'd never be able to tell how thin and flat it normally is! This really has great staying power and even looks good the next day. $25/bottle is more than I like to spend on hair products but I reckon the bottle will last awhile and the results are worth every penny. If you tried everything else and just about given up (like I had!) give this a go.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No