Splat Blue Envy

3.5

Bleach only turned my light brown hair yellow after 45 min (burned scalp pretty bad too). So out of the box this did not work for me (adding blue dye to yellow hair gives a nasty teal color).

I ended up using Sally's Blue Flash bleach with 30 vol developer followed by Wella White Lady toner to get platinum. Then added the Splat Blue Envy to the front. That turned out quite vibrant and blue.
Full Size Image

I kept it in for 30 min and did not cover in plastic or use heat. Will update after a few weeks to note how it fades out.

Things I learned:

Glad Press n Seal keeps counters safe from staining.

Wear gloves when rinsing as well.

Vaseline on face keeps skin from staining when rinsing (because I rinsed from back to front face down to try to keep dye from running into the platinum, I wanted to protect my face from looking like a Smurf)

Soft Scrub with bleach removes rinse stains from shower tiles. Incidentally it removes stains from skin too (discovered when cleaning the shower) but not from your nails.

I did use the color right up to and on to the scalp so my scalp is stained, but it is stained evenly so I don't mind that.

Dark towels and dark pillowcases are your friends. Even washing my face causes the color to run where the water touches it at the edges.

Update: Almost a month later and I no longer see any blue coming out in the shower when I wash it. It has faded a little but it still looks great.
Full Size Image

on 9/9/2014 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My 9 year old (yes, I know - that's kinda young) really, really, really, wanted dip-dyed ends so we bouight the purple & the blue SPLAT kits and brought them to the hair dresser - which was a good move as the dye is very runny and gets EVERYTHING messy.

She stained her shirts purple/blue for days afterward.

Anyhow - it is a lasting and vibrant color - so, so far no regrets.

About $10 per kit.

on 6/26/2013 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Omg, I was addicted to these hair dyes in high school. My hair has been every color imaginable except metallics, yellow and pure white. Great product for newbies who want shocking color- comes w/everything you need, strong bleach and color for under $10. Brightly colored dye will always leech and stain, gradually only stain the bath water a bit, but always will. Blue is the worst when it fades, your hair will resemble sewage, but, that has nothing to do w/this product, it happens w/all blues and greens. So it will be very high maintenance. Bright pink looks the best when it fades, purple is nice, too. If you have dark hair, then yes, it will be very ugly after bleaching, probably the color of tang. Do not leave bleach in for more than 1 hour, even less if you have already damaged/processed or dry/coarse hair. It is best to not wash your hair for as long as humanly possible before bleaching, the oils help protect your hair and don't interfere with the processing. if you have very dry or damaged ends, cover them wit a bit of leave-in conditioner or hair oil prior to bleaching. Petroleum jelly on hairline to deter stains. Don't worry, the dye will turn out as it should even on top of the ugly yellow-orange you're left with after bleaching. After, conditioner is key! You may notice you don't feel the need to wash your hair as often after, my hair felt clean for days after bleaching and coloring.

Awesome:) I've read some really bad reviews but i feel like they all used it wrong. I used the bleach on my brown-red hair and it turned my hair platinum blond! I had never processed my hair or anything before either so I was happy. right after, I deep conditioned so my hair is still very very soft. The dye is more like a stain and is vegetable based so it doesn't damage your hair at all. I left mine in all night, just in a shower cap (from 11pm-6:30 am) and it lasted from February 27 till today...(April 4) I could keep it in but I'm redoing it tonight. It's faded to a cool color in my opinion. It's still obviously blue but it's grayish and has a purple tint...I dunno. I like it but redoing the blue tonight! One box has enough bleach for my hair (I had left overs) but I needed more dye! my hair is a little lower than my shoulder blades but relatively thin. I recommend 2 boxes if you're unsure. Basically, but it if you're ready to commit. I've heard that even trying to bleach it out won't work. There's still a blue tint so good luck!:D (PS. you may get a lot of weird looks if your whole head is blue...but a lot of compliments too:) )

The first time I used this was about 3 years ago. For me I had to dye my hair twice because the first time it turned out to be blue-grey. And the dye last about maybe 3 weeks at the latest. And don't you dare to walk outside when it's even raining slightly, it'll go every where. This was probably the worst dye I've ever bought.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

For a quick fix-Splat is nice.
Blue Envy is VERY VERY VERY bright. For maybe 3 days.
It's the brightest blue I've ever used, but it gets EVERYWHERE. Literally everywhere. Like some places you couldn't even explain. ****DO NOT SIT ON A WHITE COUCH WHILE YOU HAVE THIS IN YOUR HAIR****
My face was bright purple for a few days, and I was scrubbing with nail polish remover for a few days, which hurt like hell. Then it faded to the ugliest color imaginable. Green-gray-brown-poop-puke. Eat all those colors and then throw it up onto a plate of stupid then you have the color it faded to.
The bleach is horrible. It doesn't work. It makes your roots about 2 shades lighter. That's it.
If you want a quick fix, then sure, use splat, but not in the long fun.
I would only buy again or recommend if you want to maybe update your roots or add a strand of colour in your hair. Otherwise no, stay far away from it.

on 5/30/2012 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This color is really good, but a dark blue, so make sure your hair before you dye it blue is really light if you want the color to show. Personally I don't like the bleach and I bye my own bleach for it. With less ammonia and more healthier bleach for my hair. The blue stays in for a long time if you wash it with cold water! And it's a stain so be careful! I would so buy this again :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This kit comes with blue colorant,a packet of powdered bleach,a bottle of peroxide and gloves.When I used this,I had extemely black hair that I had to tried to dye dark burgundy but it just wouldn't come out. At first I just put the blue on by itself.It didn't show up at all.So I bleached it,leaving it on the longest time which is 50 minutes as my hair was very dark.Most of my hair turned an orange shade lol!!Parts of it turned white.So I put the blue on the next morning and left it for 30 minutes.The parts that were white were very pretty!!A nice vibrant blue that I loved!!The parts that were orange turned an army green/brown shade lol!!It was fun even though it wasn't what I was looking for.If I had left the bleach on longer,I'm sure all of my hair would have an awesome vibrant blue,but I was too scared as it was my first time using bleach.My hair was dry,but not near what I expected!!I tought for sure peices would come out after all the horror stories I've heard about bleaching hair!!So just be sure to always use the bleach with these bright colors,and if you have really dark hair,I would suggest going to a salon for advice:)

on 1/22/2011 2:52:00 AM

I bought a multicolor pack with cherry red and this blue in it, and it also included a "ruby" purple color.
It comes with.. 30 vol.? bleach I think.

It was the first time I bleached my hair, and it looked horrid. But I don't blame the bleach.

What I do have problems about is that there was not enough product to do the little amount of hair that I was dyeing. In addition, the color faded from a medium blue to a nasty seafoam color in 2 days. Not a happy camper about that. The instructions say the color can last from 1 to 6 weeks... waaaaaaaay to be vague there.
Definitely not worth the $10 I spent on it.

on 12/4/2008 6:31:00 PM

My 13 year old daughter really wanted blue hair, and she picked this one up after I got recs from the MUA hair board. I'm impressed! The bleach that comes with the kit took her naturally brunette hair down to platinum quickly and the dye is a great electric-blue color. Exactly what she wanted! I can't say yet how long it lasts, but it's still very vibrant 2 weeks later. It does shed a little color every time she shampoos, though, but she uses old towels and dries it completely and we haven't had any trouble with transferring. My only complaint is the application bottle--a brush tip would have made application much easier.