December 22, 2014 | 1803 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Miss Sixty Elixir

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2011 5:49:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

When I first apply this the only note I smell is a lightly powdered, spiced citrus. The licorice like scent of the star anise overtakes the grapefruit note so there is no real bite to the citrus, but it's definitely there and prevents the star anise from becoming cloying and/or too sweet.

As the fruit dries down, the spicy note carries on and takes on a distinctly clove-like scent, which I'm assuming is the borrachero (brugmansia) flower. I'm not hugely familiar with borrrachero flower but I've heard that it's meant to be intoxicatingly strong, but the sweet and spicy floral note here is fairly mild. It may be that the note of lotus flower is diffusing the strength of it, as I can pick up on the lotus, but it seems watery to me - or maybe there's a melon accord in the mix? There are clearly other floral notes used in ELIXIR, but the concentrations of borrachero and lotus are higher then them, so I can't definitely identify any of them with confidence. The only note I'll take a stab at naming is rose, since there is another powdered-but-sweet note that burns down through to the base.

There is nothing exciting about the base, it's made up of the same scent notes that the majority of today's fragrances use; Creamy sandalwood and vanilla, with a hint of airy musk. It's a nice and familiar blend for the fragrance to dry down with, but it's boring and just makes it all too similar to almost everything else.

The lasting power is pretty much what I was expecting from a inexpensive EDT; It burns down within four hours and becomes close to the skin within two hours. It's not that great, but you can buy bottles of ELIXIR for under a tenner, so I think the low price cancels out the so-so lasting power.

The vanilla and spicy florals, paired with the warm musk and sandalwood in the base mean that this is a perfect choice for autumn/winter, whilst the fact that the fragrance is close to the skin, watered down and has a light citrus burst means that the sweetness is soft enough to still appealing during the warmer spring/summer months too.

I suppose it is really a 'any time' fragrance, but I tend to stick to daytime wear [both casual use and work] with my bottle. I personally don't reach for it on nights out as it doesn't last long and I don't like carrying around glass bottles for topping up my fragrances.

I received my bottle as a gift and when I wear it I do enjoy it, but for whatever reason I go months without looking at it twice. I think it's biggest problem is that it reminds me instantly of several fragrances [though I don't find that surprising with the thousands of mass market perfumes launched each year], so it's easy to overlook it in favour of wearing something more unique.

If you like any of the Miss Sixty fragrances, the Lolita Lempicka fragrances, Beyonce Heat or Emporio Armani Diamonds, ELIXIR is worth looking out for.

It is nice to be able to wear an oriental fragrance during spring/summer that isn't cloying and there are other good points too: It's good for any time of day and all year round, it can be bought for under a tenner, most shops stock it, the bottle is nice for collectors and it can be worn by any age.

As it's already similar to perfumes I already own, I won't buy it myself, although it's nice enough that I would wear it if it were given to me as a gift. I also think that it would be a safe gift choice for someone, as it's easy to wear and none of the notes are strong enough to be disagreeable.

I'm not sure if it's being discontinued, but the 50ml and 75ml bottles are becoming harder to find. You can usually buy the 30ml bottle for under a tenner, both on-line and on the high street.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2008 8:59:00 PM More reviews by amysharp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

To me this smells like Escada's Sexy Graffiti, (with not as much lasting power), as do so many scents these days. The bottle is to die for though if your a perfume collector.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by badkitty82

This fragrance is supposed to be "teasing and feminine, sparkling and bewitching" and the mysterious purple/pink bottle looks like witch potion. It is described as an ultra-modern fruity oriental fragrance that challenges convention and oozes feminity. Yes it is fruity and oriental, but there's a note in the fragrance which is just awful. I'm guessing it's the sandalwood. It just doesn't go along with the other notes (vanilla, Lotus flower, Borrachera, badiane and grapefruit) It smelled sweet and fruity for the first hour, but settled to an awful stinky smell.. maybe it's the combination of grapefruit and sandalwood.. so even though I liked the bottle, the concept and the brand, this was just awful!!