July 28, 2014 | 1906 users online

Eye Shadow - Urban Decay - Sustainable Shadow Box

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by JustCakey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this for christmas one year, and while some of the colors were really pretty, I found myself using about half the shades, ignoring the other half. Like usual my problem with urban decay is that they make everything SO glittery, yet every time I get a shadow palette it's urban decay, since it's so popular, bah! Why doesn't anyone get me too faced or something satin? My droopy down turned eyes look so stupid with glitter on them.
The lid broke off not even 6 months after I had gotten it, and I promise it was never drop kicked. Sustainable? Not really, haha.
I really enjoyed YDK and the pool color, but I wouldn't repurchase this set again, mostly just because of the disco ball problem and the box broke and it was pain storing and trying to keep these shadows clean with it's broken lid. I like my palettes to look pretty.
The little brush was seriously awesome, I still have it 5 years later, it makes a great eyeliner brush, it's finally pooping out and I need to buy a new one, but yeah totally lasted me forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 11:17:00 AM More reviews by edentomlinsonx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a really nice palate I love the golds and bronzes! The design looks good but can't be a bit tedious when the little bolt falls out after so long! I got this for a birthday present a few years ago and it's still all in tact deffo need to purchase a new set soon though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2013 3:53:00 AM More reviews by satin828

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

An ex-colleague from 5 years ago introduced me to Urban Decay, and I have been wanting to try their eyeshadows for a while. I finally bought this palette 2 years ago - figured it would be a good intro to UD and not break the bank (this costs $30 CAD). This palette comes with 10 eyeshadows, a small brush (quite good), Primer Potion, and a small mirror (I've never used). The shades are YDK (bronze brown w/ shimmer), Flipside (jade w/ shimmer), Grifter (mauve w/ a lot of silver glitter), Uzi (silver w/ a lot of silver glitter), Twice Baked (brown w/ shimmer), Midnight Cowboy Rides Again (beige w/ a lot of silver glitter), Flash (purple w/ shimmer), Oil Slick (black w/ silver glitter), Kiddie Pool (sky blue w/ shimmer), and Half Baked (gold w/ shimmer).

I have heard so many positive things about UD eyeshadows, and I absolutely agree. The coverage is excellent! Best that I've tried by far. They go on very smoothly and never streaky. The lasting power is great, especially if paired with the Primer Potion. The shades are very wearable. Obviously I've used more of the neutral shades (YDK, Twice Baked, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Oil Slick), but the other colours are good for going out. I once wore Kiddie Pool with a blue dress - a bit matchy-matchy but got tons of compliments. Uzi is great for the inner eye corners, while Grifter and Flash look great together. The palette does last quite a while - because they colours are so strong, I find that I don't use as much product as I normally do.

The only negative thing - the awful packaging. I appreciate that it's supposed to be sustainable with bamboo and all that, but mine fell apart really quickly. The bottom is no longer attached to the purple eyeshadow compartment, and the swivel lid doesn't swivel anymore. I have to remove the lid completely to access the eyeshadows.

So if you're willing to spend some money on high-quality, highly pigmented, long-lasting eyeshadows, get Urban Decay!!! Maybe not this palette in particular cuz the packaging is dreadful, but I love the eyeshadows themselves way too much to tick the "will not buy again" button.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by FrazzleDazzle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't know why it took me so long to write a review on this! I am not sure exactly when i aquired this palatte but I got it for my birthday maybe 2 or 3 years ago when I was 17 or 16... maybe 15. It was literally the only high end thing I owned back then and I was super excited to get it. I LOVED the packaging, the design was so unique and cool with the graffiti and doodles over the bamboo. The swivel lid is downright annoying though and there is no other way to put it. Overall this eyeshadow palette and the quality of the eyeshadows are such a let down. Trust me I have been trying for years to make these eyeshadows work. They are just soo pretty in the pan. They are also really pretty swatched. The only bad thing is that they do not transfer well to the lids whatsoever!!! Also I found even the neutral colours (like the golds or browns) didn't suit my skin tone or just looked strange when I wore them. Half Baked just looks yellow and strange on me, but beautiful when swatched. I really wish it has the same effect as amber lights by MAC but it doesn't seem to make anything pop at all. Even so it is still one of the most pigmented ones as well as Twice Baked. Twice Baked is a deep glittery brown, which is almost useless. Due to the glitter it is sorta useless as a crease colour and there are not many occasions where I would wear a dark brown on my lid! (it doesn't really suit me either). YDK is very pretty but I feel like it is just a tad too dark to be a lid colour but obviously not dark enough to be a crease colour. I feel a bit bleh about it. Midnight Cowboy is soo so gorgeous in the pan but all you can see on the lid is some chunky gold glitter. I think its supposed to be used over the other shades but it still doesn't work well like that. Grifter, Kiddie Pool, Flash and Flipside are the "out there" shades of the palatte. Again imagine these colours on the lid and then blended out with a darker shadow... beautiful. But in reality all you get is a sheer wash. Swatched on the hand: beautiful vibrant colour. I don't get it!! I have tried these wet, over a base, over cream eyeshadow and I still never get the payoff I want. Uzi is such a useless shadow as others have said. You expect it to be a silver/grey with beautiful glitter but all you actually get is a bunch of glitter that gets all over your face. Oil Slick is ok. Overall this palette has been such a disappointment and I conclude that I really don't like the texture of urban decay shadows. Even the shadows without glitter like ydk still manage to look chunky and rough on the lid compared to MAC e/s that go on like butter and look smooth. I know they have reformulated but its still going to take a lot to get me to try their e/s again...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

It was my first Urban Decay purchase at Sephora, and it came with a mini sized eye primer (which I loved!). Colors are gorgeous, especially half baked, which is the golden color I have used the most out of this palette. I've used the black color a lot to line my eyes, and its perfectly pigmented! Downside of these eyeshadows are Uzi, Grifter, and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again. They are kind of chalky, and the glitters are super huge, the fall out while applying them will be inevitable!!!
Another downside: the packaging. I thought it was really cute, but after months of use it broke, so I had to attach it with wires, so yeah, it's really cheap. Besides that, I think it's a good product with lots of fun colors!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by BeThAnY1225

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

First off, I love Urban Decay! I love how most of the colors have a touch of glitter in them! I tend to buy more bright colors, so I am not a huge fan on the black, but it does have really pretty glitter in it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 3:43:00 AM More reviews by sadielovesmakeup06

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this palette! I like how different it looks, and the colors that come in it. it comes with an odd brush but it works, and it came with a mini UDPP. A lot of the shadows from UD have a lot of fallout, but they come in such variety, and in cute palettes to customize looks! the fallout problem is fixable!

I will continue to buy palettes from UD!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by playmate420

i love these eye shadows!
the selection doesn't really match but i enjoy mitch-matching them with other shades from different pallets
theirs a wide range of colors from neutral, to glitter, to shimmer
from light to bright shades i absolutely love it
there was not one color that didn't pick up on my eye shadow brushes or blend well

the only complaint i have is the packaging! for that price, the top shouldnt just fall off a month after buying it

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by makeupalways749

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE Urban Decay, but this shadow box kind of let me down. I'm half and half on this one. I like some of the colors like YDK, Twice Baked, Flash, Oil Slick, and Half Baked, but the other colors just didn't work for me. Flipside (green color) didn't show up on me and didn't transfer well on my brush. Grifter, Uzi, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, and Kiddie pool just left chunks of glitter on my face and didn't show up as well as I thought they would. It isn't terrible, but it isn't amazing like other palettes they have come up with. The packaging is really cute though and is what drew me into the palette in the first place. I haven't had any problems with the twisty top. Overall the shadows I do like are great and work really well, but I probably wouldn't purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 3:37:00 AM More reviews by COAS87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this palette! this was my first UD palette. I got it on a trip to AZ.. we didnt have a sephora or an ulta yet in my town, and I went when we went to PHX... and this is a good palette.... The packaging is ok... i like the turn top, but it comes loose quickly. and the brush was not my fav! it is a good one with good colors, but they are VERY glittery!! a bit of fallout, but just put tape on ur cheeks when done, that will pick up the extra!