December 20, 2014 | 1551 users online

Skincare - Body - Homemade Tendskin

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by RebaG

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried making this tonight so I can't say for sure how good it is just yet but one thing I have to say is that I bought dissolvable aspirin and my container blew up in my bathroom. Did I do something wrong? I hope this works because I get terrible ingrown hairs on my thighs and tendskin is kind of hard for me to get in Ireland.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As someone who has battled with razor burn and bumps for the majority of my shaving years, this has truly changed the way I shave/epilate and treat my skin afterwards.

No matter which shaving creams or gels and razors I use, I ALWAYS end up with discomfort and razor bumps and burn, especially on my bikini line and lower legs. I have found a combination that works relatively well (Skintimate shave lotion for dry skin and Gillette Venus 5-blade razors) but using a variation of this recipe is the final step to smooth, irritation-free skin.

I changed up the recipe from the original to four parts Dickinson's witch hazel, two parts alcohol and 25 crushed aspirin. I followed the suggestion of crushing 18 and adding it to the witch hazel and then the remaining 7 and mixing it with the alcohol. Then I mixed the both liquids together and gave a good shake. I ended up using a hair color applicator bottle because it was the only bottle I had on hand that was large enough. I actually love having it in this type of bottle because I have good control over how much I am using. There will be some settling, so be sure to give a gentle shake before using. Now I use this every time I shave or epiliate.

Because I had such good results as an aftershave "tonic," I have since tried it on the random blemish and it seems to work well at reducing swelling and redness. It also seems to dry them out quicker than if left to their own devices.

Thank you to all the MUA reviewers for this recipe and their tips. I will definitely keep this on hand to keep razor issues from happening!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by newstrms

I will never buy skin tend again!
Thank god this recipe worked, I was so skeptical about trying it!
I ran out of skin tend and didn't want to re purchase another bottle cause it's so expensive! So I went without it for a month and my ingrown hairs were absolutely horrible! I have the worst in grown hair problem ever, so I finally gave the diy recipe a shot because I really had nothing to loose, especially because I purchased all the ingredients for under $4.00 so two weeks of using it ever day and my legs are smoother than a baby's bottom! If your skeptical about trying this just give it a shot, you won't be disappointed, but like I said it usually takes about 2 weeks to completely clear up maybe that just because I have really stubborn ingrown hairs but I couldn't be happier!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by laschnauzer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG I used to get razor bumps around my bikini area every single time after I shaved and it would last a week or more to get rid of them. Ever since I started using this homemade tend skin I haven't had one single razor bump, pimples, or anything like that in my bikini area.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2013 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Meiga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi have a question about this recipe... is pure witch hazel or tonic witxh hazel? What I can do the best? Because some times i saw the pure witch hazel like the one, and anothers say that the tonic is more efective. What can i do?Thanks

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by sohysterical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is great. I get inexplicable ingrown hairs on my tummy (I don't wax or shave and the hair is quite fine, so I am at a loss!) and have never been able to find anything that works anywhere near as well as this. After about a month, I haven't had a single new one and you can't even tell there was ever a problem. It's incredible! I use it on pimples and after shaving the bikini area as well. Truly fantastic, very impressed. Would recommend it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by amyaddis

OK, so I made this without the alcohol, and it's working fine. From my understanding, the aspirin exfoliates and the witch hazel calms the inflammation. I also added some tea tree oil to control any bacteria in open hair follicles.

My skin doesn't react well to alcohol (pretty sensitive), but does react to waxing. Very badly. For me, dispersable aspirin in witch hazel with tea tee seems to do the trick, and gently. I also exfoliate gently daily in the shower, to help things along.

PS, 5 lip pies for packaging, because I put mine in a GORGEOUS bottle! :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by MichiLiebe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Years before, I never really wore dresses or short skirts because I was embarrassed that my legs had these red dots after shaving them. I didn't know what to do, so my only conclusion was to wear jeans all the time. Before I knew about this recipe I heard that exfoliation was necessary before shaving so that you get rid of this issue as well as the ingrown hairs. So in the shower before shaving I dissolved in the palm of my hand a few uncoated aspirins, the result worked well on my legs and underarms. However around my private area which I like to keep nice and shaven, (just because it looks nicer and cleaner, and a friend of mine agrees with me too, ha); it was kind of messy and I still developed a few bumps there, not as much as before, but I wanted better results. I'm so glad I found this recipe, my legs, bikini area and pits are smooth and bump free. The mixture smells like cheap liquor, but it's so worth doing!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2012 1:15:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I'm so suprised this worked! I have never tried tendskin but I was considering buying it because of the mad razor burn I get when I shave my legs. I stumbled upon this and tried it last night.

I didn't think it was going to work. I literally get razor burn as I'm shaving, and I could see the red bumps developing before I stepped out of the shower. I thought it was too late, but I tried it anyway. Let me tell you, it burned like the Dickens! But I was expecting that and just sucked it up. I waited a few minutes, still red..a half hour redness gone...bumps not as formed. This morning, no bumps or redness and it seems to have healed a small cut on my knee! This stuff is great!

It's only after one use, but I think if I continue to use it, my legs will dry out. I read about adding glycerin (didn't have any) or lube like KY which I have, but I didn't want my pores on my legs to get clogged. I might do another batch with the added moisture next go around.

I did the recipe as it said, 5.5 oz rubbing alchohol 2.5 oz witch hazel, which already had alchohol in it..not sure why you need more alcho, and 27 crushed uncoated aspirins. Try this, I think you'll like it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

Man, has this stuff saved my bacon. Every time I forget to use it I get terrible ingrowns. If I then get really skippy on using it 3 or 4 times a day, over a couple of days I can actually watch the hairs emerge from the skin where they had been ingrown..

It doesn't smell so great -- lavender or redcedar oil can help with that, if you're not sensitive to them.

I use the recipe with witch hazel and 70% alcohol. I store it in a cleaned-out Eucerin sunscreen pump bottle.