October 31, 2014 | 1201 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Professional in 12A High-Lift Cool Blonde Ash

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by Geeverny

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For those who find the toning doesn't last long it is best to only use no stronger than a 10 volume developer (peroxide), even diluting it to 7.5 volume with conditioner is enough. Still use in 1:1 ratio toner to developer. For virgin hair at the roots, of course if you have relatively dark hair, you will need the 30-40 volume. However, for refreshing the remainder of your hair there is no reason to do the highlift strength and in fact it interferes with good deposition of the color on previously lightened hair besides needlessly damaging it.
It usually doesn't need to be left on over 30 minutes this way but strand test advised to avoid too much grab and having purple hue,depending on how damaged/porous the hair being refreshed may be. If it does grab, will usually wash to proper shade after 1-2 shampoos.
I used to very frustrated before realizing this PLUS wonders of wonders the 9n shade I use to cover my gray temple roots actually covers the gray. now. Gray doesn't need to be lifted, just needs deposit.
Hope this helps someone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2012 3:29:00 AM More reviews by ChristinaSteckler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I used this after bleaching my hair to a pale blonde, and it left it slightly grey and dingy. A few washes later, the true effects of this toner came out. My hair was a soft platinum color. This product says to use with 40 vol developer, which is because it is a high-lift. The one downside to this product is that it doesn't last very long. I wash my hair on average about every day, and used a purple shampoo every other day to try and bring the platinum back. I would recommend this product. . . if you can't find Wella's T18 toner around you.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 12:46:00 AM More reviews by KineticKid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've now used a few blonde shades of Clairol Professional Creme Color (9A, 9AA, and 10A) and I love all of them!

First, this color is significantly better than any box color out there (trust me, I've tried everything displayed in the hair color aisle of your nearest drugstore or big box store over the past 15 years), and it's CHEAPER than box color, too (less than $5 per 2 ounce tube of color at Sally's)! It doesn't dry out my hair like box color and the color just looks so much better than box color (as in my hair color really looks professionally done now)! The color is kinda "pearly" when you squeeze it out of the tube, which seems to add a touch of extra shimmer to your hair.

Like I said before, I've only tried blonde shades, so I'll offer my tips and experiences:

1. If your hair is already bleached or quite light (as in white, pale yellow, or light blonde), do NOT leave this color in your hair for the recommended 25 minutes! The color can develop quickly; if all you're aiming for is "toning" your hair color, then 5 to 10 minutes is all you need. For toning purposes, just leave the color on only as long as it takes for the color to start to develop to the shade you want to "counter" your current hair color. That is, once the color starts to turn pinkish/purplish/ashish (depending on the shade), wash it out then (for me, never more than 10 minutes). Remember, it's always easier to add color later than to remove it. Err on the side of caution if you're unsure (or, better yet, do a strand test before you color so you know how long to leave the stuff on).

2. Because the color can develop quickly, you'll want to work quickly to cover your hair as fast as possible (again, this is for light blondes...I've not tried the red or brunette shades to be able to comment on how those colors develop).

3. The texture of the color is somewhat thick and creamy. I pair it with the 20 or 30 volume Clairol Professional cream developer (also sold at Sally's). Because of the creaminess, it's best to use the bowl and brush application method (i.e. the method your hairdresser most likely uses for overall color) instead of the squeeze bottle that's most commonly found in box color.

4. My hair is shoulder length and very thick. I've found that I need at least an entire 2 ounce tube of color to cover my entire head (since you mix it in a one-to-one ratio with the developer, you'll need 2 ounces of developer to go with 1 tube of color). Obviously, touch-ups require less. But if you have long or thick hair, count on buying at least two tubes (and the corresponding amount of developer).

5. If you're trying to go light blonde (e.g. a level 9, 10, or above) and if your current hair color is a dark to medium blonde, than perhaps all your need to lift to a good blonde is a 30 volume developer and this color. If your hair is darker (e.g. light brown or darker), you'll want to bleach your hair first before coloring with this color.

6. As always, use a good conditioner after you rinse!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2008 10:21:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

This is actually for the Premium Creme formula, I just forgot to put that in the title. I purchased this haircolor at Sally Beauty. My hair has been totally damaged lately because I have been harshly lifting out jet black with bleach. I figured that my hair won't be able to take much harsh bleach right now because of it's condition so I decided to buy a high lift blonde. My natural color is a dark ash blonde so this product worked pretty good for me. I would like to get my hair a very light cool blonde or even a platinum shade but this haircolor doesn't lift my hair quite that high. I applied this mostly to my roots only. It lifted my roots to a light ashy blonde with a touch of lemon to it. I did like how this haircolor toned my hair somewhat as it processed. I used Shiny Silver shampoo and conditioner that I also purchased from Sally Beauty and those helped tone my haircolor even further. Overall this haircolor is pretty gentle on the hair, at least much more gentle than using bleach. My scalp did burn a little while using this though (might have been due to the 40 volume developer the instructions called for) but feels okay today ( I used this product yesterday). Would repurchase but I am going to try other high lift blondes to see if I can get a lighter shade.