New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

What a great find! For under $3 you get a quality powder, no ifs ands or buts about it! It seems as though even if I over apply by accident I still never get a cakey look. It leaves my skin with a gorgeous finish and in no way am I left with a flat/matte look but yet on the other hand it doesn't add any shine or luminosity to the skin, it just leaves the skin looking refined and smooth. It does not accentuate any of my fine lines or flaws which is very important to me. As far as oil control goes I really can't comment on that because I have normal/dry/mature skin, however, I do get hot flashes during the day which will have me breaking into a sweat, but yet whenever I look in the mirror my skin never looks shiny or "messy" looking so I am taking it for granted that this powder is what keeps that freshly applied makeup look. If you have normal/dry skin and enjoy using powder I would definitely try this and if your oily it sure is worth a shot for under $3.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I love this powder! It's so inexpensive, you get so much product, and it covers up any shiny areas perfectly, without looking flat. It's very silky and easy to apply, once you get used to the packaging. The packaging can be hard to deal with at first, especially once you first open a full jar, but I've found that tapping the powder onto the lid and swirling my brush around works the best., I would definitely recommend this, and for $3, it's worth trying out, It's one of my favourite drugstore powders.

on 10/31/2014 12:36:00 AM

Love this powder! It gives my skin a nice satin finish (I'm pretty dry, so anything with a matte finish makes me look dry and flakey) and I don't really need to touch it up throughout the day. I wear it ovr my NYC bb cream and it blends nicely and gives my skin a nice healthy natural look. The price is AMAZING. I think I paid $3 at Walmart for this powder. The only complaints I really have is the packaging, the top comes off super easy, and the holes in the softer are large so you can potentially waste product. Also, if you use too much at once it gives you a whiteish look, but it blends out with a brush no problem. Will he repurchasing and would recommend!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product, it's cheap and a perfect setting powder. Awesome amount for the 3 dollar price tag.

on 4/28/2014 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is by far my favorite drugstore loose setting powder. It really reminds me of my HG BE Mineral Veil. It's super fine milled and it does not settle into pores or leave a white cast. It's not cakey or weird.

Seriously for $2.99, you get a huge amount and the best out there from the drugstore. Sets my makeup in summer when I am more normal skin (winter and spring and Fall I am very dry). This will give that airbrushed look like Mineral Veil, it's just not minerals unfortunately.

on 4/21/2014 9:05:00 PM

LOVE love this loose powder. SO so disappointed it has been discontinued. I used to buy Estée Lauder loose powder for $40 until I went through a recession and discovered NYC's loose powder for $3. I have tried all past and present drugstore and highend loose powders and NYC was by far the best. For the price it works great. It went on smooth and flawless. The staying powder was also pretty good. It also didn't oxidized. Can't believe I wasted so much money on highend powder when this was around. Too bad I discovered it too late. I was only able to buy one container. NYC! If you're listening please please bring it back.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've used this powder for years. At first I bought it because of price. I ran out a few weeks ago and bought a different brand. Huge mistake. The NYC is unscented, colorless and completely sets my foundation. I don't have a problem with being oily. I did notice the Maybelline brand didn't completely set my foundation. I even tried the Bare Minerals powder. That did give me fuller coverage but did not actually set my foundation. The best thing about the NYC brand is the lack of scent. It does not give me a headache, smell powdery or like an old lady. No, the packaging isn't perfect but $3 sure is!

on 2/15/2014 6:36:00 AM

This powder is good, but not great.

It is worth the money but don't expect it to equal something hight end. The difference is still there. You will become more and more aware of it over time. The texture is coarse. Not to mention that for oily skin it might not be mattifying enough.

When I first tried it I was really impressed. I use loose powder after sunscreen. But it did not wear that well. The finish became less and less uniform every time I blotted.

It is still a good option though if you apply powder very lightly instead. After my sunscreen I need quite a bit of powder to remove the sheen I get. Even if I look slightly powdered at first, my very oily male skin will quickly take care of that.) But as I said, for most people who use powder sparingly this product might be more than OK.

The color is quite light and there is certainly some pink in there. But I doubt it contains much pigment. It's truly translucent. The packaging is just OK. The main problem is that the cover doesn't screw shut. Nor does it click securely in place. It just sits on there, and could easily come off in a makeup bag. But let's be honest, loose powders are not really meant to be carried with you everywhere.) I rest mine at home, quietly on the desk.)) If I go on a trip, I just block the sifter with tape. I have opened all the holes because I don't tap powder on the cover. I block the sifter with a large brush, and turn the container upside down depositing the powder directly on the brush instead. It's less messy and more economical that way.

Is it cheap? Yes.
To all Canadians I suggest checking out the loose powder by MARCELLE.
Considering the size, at Walmart it costs just as much $2.97 for 20g and $10.97 for 70g.. It is finer, smoother, impossible to overdo, and looks natural right away - no need for a setting spray.

on 2/10/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This powder is great if you're on a budget, considering how cheap it is ($3-4 at Target). It sets my makeup nicely, and although it's not the most finely milled powder I've ever used, it doesn't come off as cakey. My only gripe is the horrendous packaging. I made the mistake of completely removing the paper the sifter and about half of the product came out into the lid. And the lid doesn't screw shut, so I have to be very careful when I'm opening/closing it. I can't complain too much considering how inexpensive this is. Overall, this is a great drugstore powder which I've repurchased many time, and I definitely recommend it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product; especially for the price I got it at ($2.79 at Walmart). Because I am new to translucent powders and I wanted to see if these powders was for me, I decided to give this one a go and I am glad I did! This powder can be worn alone or used to set foundation. I usually wear it alone and I find that this powder keeps me matte for the whole day. I use a kabuki brush to apply this powder and not the sponge that comes with the product, because I find that a lot of the powder gets stuck in the sponge and the product gets wasted. I really don't like the packaging, but I can't expect more from such an inexpensive product.