New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This powder gives my foundation the most beautiful finish because it is so finely milled. It doesn't give that nasty whitecast look that silica powders create. My under-eye lines aren't magnified nor is the nasty texture of my skin. Infact I feel like this "blurs" imperfections. The shade translucent has a slight tint to it. It is a pale cool toned beige. I lean more warm toned, yet this hasn't been an issue yet.

However what has been an issue, is the fact this breaks me out if left on too long. I've purchased, thrown out, then repurchased NYC Smooth Skin loose powder about 5 times over the years. It's definitely not holy grail quality, because I find it doesn't keep me matte as long as my beloved Coty Airspun. My sebum breaking through is likely the cause of the pimples that accompany using this.

The gorgeous finish is what keeps drawing me back in.There is no shimmer (my crater pores are thankful). After looking at the ingredients I am fairly certain it's the high silk powder content that create the "glow".

I will keep to using my "holy grail" powder long term. New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder definitely has it's perks, so I'd recommend everyone at least tries it. For about $4, I don't mind throwing it out/repurchasing it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've repurchased this twice now. This comes with a LOT of product, so I obviously like this to use so much of it! I bought this after my NYX HD powder was giving me a gross white cast. I used to use this to set my CG 3-in-1 foundation and do touchups, but now that I use the Revlon ColorStay I only use it to set and then use the ColorStay powder for touchups. At any rate, I find this to be a great at setting both foundation and undereye concealer, but when it comes to abolishing oil on the face later in the day, I find that this can take off the Revlon foundation a little bit. I use it lesser now with the Revlon, but if I were to go back to the CoverGirl (for coverage reasons), I'd go back to this for touchups! I enjoy the fact that it is truly translucent and doesn't cause the lightening or darkening of my skin tone, though I can see this looking light on darker skin tones, but I have no way to test that... I'd recommend trying this before springing for anything more expensive. And that's because it's so inexpensive, try it and see if it works for you and the foundation/concealer you use! Also be sure to experiment with different types of brushes, I prefer to use a dome-shaped powder brush, but a flat-top kabuki could work better depending on your foundation type. A brief note on the packaging, it doesn't close, it's just a simple sifter. I don't cry about the wasted product, again because it's so cheap. Also, this packaging is not drop-proof, I have dropped it on tile and the black lid cracked. It was almost gone, so I was able to use it until I finished it, but just beware of the delicate packaging and the fact that it doesn't close!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have dry skin due to the usage of retinoids. I used this product to set my liquid foundation, and I noticed cracking and patchiness in my foundation almost immediately. I heard a lot of great reviews, so I was really disappointed. My foundation lasts longer without this product. However, I do enjoy putting the powder on when I'm not wearing any foundation, to make my face look more matte. I did not like how the lid is simply a lift top, because I can't really do anything but keep it flat in a drawer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Poor quality. Makes face look cakey. It also broke me out badly, probably due to the talc. Will not purchase again. I'll stick to my urban decay face powder, more expensive but worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This powder is so so but it is very messy and product will get everywhere if you aren't careful. It's an okay powder to set your makeup it is a little thick. However if that is the look you are going for than this powder will work for you. If you are looking for something that is a little bit lighter then I suggest trying another loose powder. This powder seems to clog my pores and looks cakey however, it is hard to say considering I've used several different liquid foundations in conjunction with this loose powder. The prices great because it is a drugstore product however, I will try other products to set my makeup. As far as my recommendation it is based on skin type if you want to purchase this product just note keep your receipt one hand in the event you do not like it.

This stuff is AMAZING. It sets my makeup beautifully. Powders under my eyes just
made me look dry and older but this powder just makes everything look smooth and flawless. Messy packaging but what can you do when it's under $5. Worth a try!

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

This made my face look so cakey so fast but without even mattifying my face.
It also did NOT set my makeup and did nothing to make my makeup last longer or not crease no matter how little or how much I put on.
Basically the worst powder in the world.

This is my favorite setting powder. I only use it to set my concealer. I put my concealer on and then immediately dip my sponge into this and let it "bake". The first thing I did when I got it was throw the sponge that came with it away, and removed the sifter. It seems like it would make a huge mess so I make sure to leave mine sitting flat on the table. The packaging is terrible but that won't deter me from buying again. This really is a good setting powder. Nothing creases all day when you use this and the baking method. I paid around $3 for it at target.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

What a great find! For under $3 you get a quality powder, no ifs ands or buts about it! It seems as though even if I over apply by accident I still never get a cakey look. It leaves my skin with a gorgeous finish and in no way am I left with a flat/matte look but yet on the other hand it doesn't add any shine or luminosity to the skin, it just leaves the skin looking refined and smooth. It does not accentuate any of my fine lines or flaws which is very important to me. As far as oil control goes I really can't comment on that because I have normal/dry/mature skin, however, I do get hot flashes during the day which will have me breaking into a sweat, but yet whenever I look in the mirror my skin never looks shiny or "messy" looking so I am taking it for granted that this powder is what keeps that freshly applied makeup look. If you have normal/dry skin and enjoy using powder I would definitely try this and if your oily it sure is worth a shot for under $3.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this powder! It's so inexpensive, you get so much product, and it covers up any shiny areas perfectly, without looking flat. It's very silky and easy to apply, once you get used to the packaging. The packaging can be hard to deal with at first, especially once you first open a full jar, but I've found that tapping the powder onto the lid and swirling my brush around works the best., I would definitely recommend this, and for $3, it's worth trying out, It's one of my favourite drugstore powders.

Recommended for Normal Skin