October 22, 2014 | 1963 users online

Other - Pedi Paws

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 3:27:00 AM More reviews by LouiseHourihan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start by saying that if your dog doesn't wear their nails down naturally outside, they should be filed so there are no sharp edges even if you don't use Pedi Paws to do it. I had to learn this the hard way when my little dog had a toenail get ripped off when it snagged on the carpet :(

Pedi paws is an ok product to me, but it could be better. I have to trim my dog's nails first before filing, because it would take forever x10 if I only filed with this. My dog doesn't really like the feel/sound of Pedi Paws, so I try to minimize how much I have to use it too. The safety cover just gets in the way so I take it off while using it. Also, it shuts off if you apply more than light pressure. It's safety feature as well but it's sort of a PITA since my big dog's nails are extremely hard and light pressure barely does anything.

Overall this is the best alternative out there to a Dremel for pet nail filing. It costs a lot less than a Dremel, and is cordless. It's easy to find at pet supply stores as well. I think in the future I will invest in a Dremel, but this does the trick for now.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2010 8:13:00 PM More reviews by nvogue2000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I rarely use this on my pups, as I have their nails done. HOWEVER, when I quit having my nails done, it worked well for removing my acrylic. It did burn like $#@# if I held it in one spot very long (poor dogs), but was effective for the acrylic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First I have to say that my dog is not used to getting her nails clipped. Yes, I'm a bad owner. All of my previous dogs groomed their nails outside on the cement. Anyway, I have to practically lay on my dog to keep her still enough so that I can use this on her. And I feel that the handle is somewhat backwards. Would work better if I were left-handed. Ah well, I will keep trying.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by MrsMartin0118

Everytime I cut my dogs nails, they were WAY too sharp. She's always hated getting them done anyhow. I spoke to my vet and she advised me to let her run outside on hard surfaces to tone them down. The first time I used pedipaws, it didn't work out very well. Then I decided to try cutting them, then using pedipaws to file them down. It worked great. No more claw marks when she jumps :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2009 2:09:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

This thing was a BIG waste of money for me, and I blame myself becuz I bought it and I should have known better. My Jack Russell Terrier has never been cooperative about getting his nails cut by us (he's not bad when a stranger does it, tho, 'cuz he's intimidated by them), but I hoped this thing (Pedi Paws) wouldn't scare him like the guillotine nail cutter does. But PP is loud (to a dog) and it vibrates and it freaks him out even more! We tried the "getting used to the PP" instructions, like letting him smell it, turning it on in front of him, giving him a treat with it on, etc.; and we let this introduction go on for a few days prior to touching his nails with it. Then when the big moment came... he freaked! He yanked his paw, then tried to bite angrily... nah, he's too smart for a gimmick like this. (Smarter than I was, evidently.)

Also, I don't like the design of this thing. I think the way they have the tear-dropped shape hole where you insert the dog's nail is too narrow at the bottom. If a dog yanks his nail out and he is a med- to- large- sized dog, I see a disaster just waiting to happen. My niece, who used to work in a vet's office, shared the same feeling about that. She has 2 big dogs and said she won't use it on them because she doesn't think the thing is safe or effective for her dogs' nails.

My general opinion about Pedi Paws is this: If you have a small to medium sized dog who is sweet-natured, cooperative, and not noise-shy, then you may want to spend the $20 plus tax on this- especially if you are not comfortable with the plier type or guillotine style pet nail clippers. But if you have no problem trimming your pet's nails with the other style clippers, you really don't need to waste your money on this one. It's just another one of those over-advertised gimmicks. If you are afraid to cut your pet's nails w/ the other tools- or your pet is afraid- this thing won't change anything. You're better off spending the $20 on a trip to the groomer or a vet and let them do it. JMHO. continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The product works to trim down your pets nails very well but it leaves very rough edges and I screamed in pain the next day when my dog jumped on my bare legs. You will need a separate buffing tool to soften the short deadly daggers this product leaves behind on your pets nail bed. If they included a separate smoothing head this would be top rate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 3:12:00 PM More reviews by katy24

I just used this on my dog and it works great!It is a rotating filing head that you place against the pet's nail and it gently files it down.As per the instructions,I lured my dog with a treat,turned it on(requires 2 "C" batteries not included),she did not mind the very low buzzing sound and then I lifted her paw,exposed one of her nails and pushed against the rotating file.Let it be known she is a very cooperative dog to begin with and she did not mind it at all!Each nail is filed for only a few seconds and after each was completed I gave her part of the treat. The top unscrews very easily and I emptied the shavings.This product can also be used on cats.It came with an additional filing head and more can be purchased seperately.The kit retails at Walgreen's for $19.99 and is a great gift for a very cooperative cat or dog!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No