July 31, 2014 | 994 users online

Fragrances - Profumum Dambrosia

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by pb123

I have tried every fig scent I know of, from Dyptique, Annick Goutal and L'Artisan to Laurence Dumont and Pacifica. This, to me, is by far the best. In general, I am not a big fan of fig based scents, but I do love sandalwood and almond, which mellow what can be sharp and less than feminine in fig notes. I appreciate the slightly "coconutty" essence in this particular fig scent, and the pear adds a soft sweetness without the stickiness of a vanilla base. The sandalwood is just prominent enough and remains through the dry down with a sweet, ripe fig note. In my opinion, no matter how wonderful a scent may be, it is not worth the time or money if it lacks longevity. This is well made, sufficiently concentrated and has great staying power! Worth the pretty penny!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: pear, fig, grape, almond and sandalwood.

Opens with a sweetish bouquet of fruity notes such as pear, fig and grape layered over a dusty-powdery base of almond and sandalwood. The pear and grape notes vanish almost immediately and I am left with a dry blend of milky-green fig and dusty-creamy sandalwood sweetened by what is left of the grape top note. This is an odd gourmand, but a typical Profumum Roma offering because it is loud and dense. In its later stages the scent begins to dissolve, allowing me to see the remaining notes quite clearly: a grassy-green fig dominating what is left of the almond and sandalwood.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Dambrosia is pear, almond, fig, and sandalwood. It opens with an impression of a Middle-Eastern fig-coconut scent, richly fruity and not as woody as other fig scents. I really don't perceive the almond. I like it for about 5 minutes, but then the sandalwood takes over. I'm not keen on the kind of sandalwood used in Dambrosia, as it expands to monstrous proportions on me, takes over the fragrance, the room, and the whole block within a few minutes, destroying my initial pleasure in the fig. A tempter and a trickster. UPDATE 9/13: My sample has mellowed and now it's a lovely fruity Arabian scent. So it's been a shapeshifter, but time may be on your side if don't like it at first, put it away for a year, then try again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 6:20:00 AM More reviews by SwedishGirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A deeper woody version of L'Artisan Figuer Extreme (but with tons more staying-power!!). Starts of with an entre of pear and crushed almonds on green ripe figs (i'd love to eat that as an entre - yum!!). Then it settles down to a fresh incense-like sandalwood, while the entre of figs turns way way darker, with a brown sugar sweetness. This is not that super-fresh stingy PHILOSYKOS kind of figue (which I really dislike) - it's a mature, sweet developed sandal-incense figue, way way more luxurious!! I REALLY love it! Aaaah :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 1:40:00 PM More reviews by lisa_67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Having found only one Profumum fragrance that is even remotely worth its price (Ichnusa, my favorite fig fragrance ever), I probably should have known that this would be another disappointment from this house. Because my beloved Ichnusa is a fig fragrance, however, I was willing to risk it, as fig plays prominently in this fragrance as well. How could a house that created such a gorgeous, green-into-creamy fig like Ichnusa go wrong with Dambrosia, which features sandalwood, almond and pear, in addition to fig? Well, I don't know how, but something went very, very wrong with this fragrance. The pear and fig are quite prominent in the opening (and persist throughout). I had anticipated the almond and sandalwood lending a soft and somewhat creamy aspect to these fruits; instead, they quickly turn this fragrance into something sharp, pungent, and distinctly unpleasant. Within a minute of application, Dambrosia smelled exactly like perm solution masked by cheap perfume. After 15 minutes, I detected I slight peppery note, but unfortunately, the awful sharpness persisted, and the fig and pear were rendered just plain cloying. After 90 minutes, I could bear it no longer, and had to scrub it off; sadly, like most scrubbers, it is tenacious. My boyfriend arrived home more than an hour after I attempted to remove it, and asked if I'd been at the hair salon. He was relieved to hear that Dambrosia would be leaving the building posthaste. I have come to the sad conclusion that Ichnusa is the one happy fluke in the otherwise highly overrated and disappointing House of Profumum.