Peter Thomas Roth Max Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel

3.2

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Polyethylene, Water (Aqua), Laureth-4. 6/11/09

on 2/19/2015 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I would highly suggest that people stay far away from this. I love PTR products and use a ton of them but this stuff was horrible. I used it one time and had the worst breakout I have had for years. A regime of other PTR products had helped give me a great complexion, less oil, no breakouts, etc. and this gel managed to mess up all of my hard work. Gave me a cyst on my nose that lasted for three weeks, that was pleasant. Horrible breakout that lasted for weeks and left bright red spots behind and probably a scar on my nose. Not to mention that it didn't even serve its purpose, didn't notice any change in oil control at all when wearing this.

on 1/28/2014 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Another over-priced basic silicone type gel. It's clear and doesn't look like anything on your skin but can pill/ball up a bit under make-up, or make your foundation look patchy depending on the formula. I don't feel this performs any better or worse than 99% of the mattifying gels or products that I've used. It keeps my t-zone relatively matte for a few hours, nothing amazing.

I wouldn't repurchase because I prefer Clean & Clear's Oil-Absorbing treatment which also has salicylic acid, so prevents breakouts and keeps pores unclogged while preventing shine and makes a good base for make-up or just used alone to keep my skin matte.

on 1/5/2014 4:57:00 PM

I really love this product. I got a sample once and its amazing. My skin looks and feels great with it on. I dont use a primer on the areas where I use this. Sometimes I need to reapply it. What is AWFUL about it is the bottle. They must come up with a better way to access this product. As Im writing this I feel like going to put some on right now! The problem is I dont use it too often because the bottle is so awful and its hard to get out the proper amount with wasting it or getting it everywhere. Its a gel but tends to kind of stick together in little globs and those damn little globs cost a lot so I dont want them on the floor. PTR- if you read these, please find a way to make the packaging better!

on 5/20/2013 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This did nothing for my oily skin, it just broke out my skin. As soon as i stopped using this product, my face cleared up. I would not buy it again.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first product review. I have used this site for lots of great tips.

I just bought my second bottle of this. It is the only thing I have used that stopped the shine for hours. Of course, when you refresh your make up later in the day I do reapply.

on 6/17/2012 11:01:00 AM

I'f I could i'd give this a 3.5, not a full 4. This stuff works fairly well. It keeps the oil away for a few hours, but doesn't last all day/night. It's a little weird though. I noticed if I use it with different types of foundations, it gives different results. With my Clinique Superbalanced, it didn't work well under my foundation, but worked well on top. On the other hand, it works really well under my Boots No. 7 Firming & Lifting foundation. Under my Pur Minerals powder, it makes my pores look bigger. But I guess overall, it does what it's supposed to do. It feels very nice and smoothing and hasn't broken me out. The bottle is teeny tiny, but i've been using it for 4 months and I still have a decent amount left. It is expensive, but I got it off Amazon at a cheaper price. Idk if i'd buy it for full price though. I don't love it, so i'll probably try out other mattifiers to see how they compare.

on 4/13/2012 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I got this in the kit with 5 other products by Peter Thomas Roth for acne. This is the only product that I would not repurchase of the kit because it did nothing to control my oily skin. It is a decent primer that will help your makeup go on more smoothly, but that is all and there are other cheaper primers out there for that purpose.

on 10/3/2011 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Over-rated.

Comes in a terrible little tube that squirts everywhere. It doesn't do much to control the oil in my t-zone.

Really disappointing, after hearing so much hype about this product.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I some what like this product. My skin is usually really oily and shiny even after I wash my face. The shine would appear again after 15 minutes or so after I've washed my face and it really irritates me. This gel really dulls out the shiny area, which is usually my T-zone. However, I'm not too sure if it cause me any breakouts. It's perfect to apply before and under makeup. This product truly does what it says, it gives you that "matte" effect.

on 5/18/2011 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

The first time I ever used this product was about 6-7 years ago.. I used to swear by it. It kept my skin shine free, did not cause my skin to break out, and made my skin feel like silk. A couple of years ago I think that PTR changed the ingredients because even the initial application is different now than it used to be. Now, it feels smooth going on.. but almost feels slippery, or like it contains a silicone in it. It used to feel matte and silky upon application. It also doesn't control shine as well as it used to and doesn't seem to work well with the makeup or other skincare products that I use. I am pretty bummed that this formulation has changed.. and still haven't found a mattifying, anti-shine gel product that works without breaking me out or clogging my pores. I prefer to stick with primers these days, and blot when necessary. I may have a little extra shine, but I'd rather have to blot every few hours than to deal with unneccesary break outs from an overpriced product. Sorry PTR.. I love most of your products but this one is a failure.

Popular Primer/ Correctors