Make Up For Ever #4 - matte black

on 9/11/2011 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Best matte black eyeshadow available in my opinion. Very rich pigments and blends nicely. I use MAC paint pots for a base, and it seems to last pretty well. I like blending out the edges with MAC Shroom or MAC Retrospeck depending on skin tone, but it can blend out nicely by itself.

While the price seems high at first, there is really a lot of product in this package as compared to MAC, so the cost is pretty much a wash by volumn. With the added benefit of what I think is the most pigmented black available, you also don't use as much making it a good value.

on 8/5/2010 2:02:00 AM

I love this colour! It's the exact shade of black that I was looking for. I find it works great as an eyeliner as well.

on 7/11/2009 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

meh.. again. I got this and was excited to find a great black shadow.. turns out it spreads beautifully, is very matte, and stays on for a few hours -- after that, all hell breaks loose. Honestly, I get the same effect with black shadow over UDPP.. so I should have saved the $20!

on 3/21/2009 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

kind of pricey, but i like the colour and the product so i guess the 20-ish dollars was somewhat worth it.
this is a matte, very pigmented, dark black. i like using it as a liner because it does stay a while! not quite the whole day, but it doesn't crease, it just fades. so i think you can get 6-ish hours out of it which really isn't that bad, seeing that i don't use primer.
the product is very blendable; if i don't use it alone, it still blends with other shadows really nicely. so you can use it as a base to darken your other eyeshadows, but on its own it looks really nice. i love it especially because i'm asian and tanned so i don't look like a corpse. when you do use a lot it is really dramatic though, i call it my emo eyeshadow.
the packaging is pretty plain, but instead of a normal hinge or screw top it is kept closed by a magnet... just don't chip your nails trying to open it :P me, being a nail-biter, have no problems with it, but check out the packaging before you buy just to make sure it works for you.
overall, if you use black eyeshadow a lot and are sick of creasing, this is a quality product and i love all of make up for ever's eyeshadows, more than MAC! for me it is a worthy investment, up to you if its worth the money.

on 11/18/2008 3:45:00 PM

Great pigment, sheers & blends really well - can be a soft black eyeliner or a heavy duty goth/raccoon eye. I was looking for a matte black with good staying power to use as a liner with smudgability and this is mostly it - one lippie off for staying power - not as good as I'd like.

Popular Eye Shadows