February 27, 2015 | 966 users online

Foundations - Faerie Organic Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2015 6:49:00 PM More reviews by dannys4134

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Faerie Organic for a while now, I LOVE the airbrush foundation. I have super sensitive skin and this is the only foundation that does not irritate my skin while offering great coverage. I have tried the SUMO cleansing clay as well as a few other products and really love them all. The only thing I could say is like some of the other reviewers, I wish the samples came in sifter jars rather than snap like containers. I just read over the previous FO review (saying they are not as advertised) and was a bit concerned by some of her points in her post. I decided to look into it for myself as I go out of my way to only use natural based products on my skin. As someone who frequently purchases organic and natural products, I can speak from experience and say that xanthan gum is commonly used in natural/organic products. I looked up the xanthan and several of the other ingredients she mentioned at the EWG (environmental working group) database and in the case of the xanthan gum it is rated a "0" as in no concern....From the EWG site....."About XANTHAN GUM: Xanthan gum is a polysaccharide, a sugar-based polymer produced by bacteria; it is used as a viscosity agent in personal care products and foods."...http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706998/XANTHAN_GUM/

The sodium benzoate is explained on the FO website under the "ingredients" tab....quote from the FO website...."Sodium Benzoate and Gluconolactone- Sodium benzoate is a natural, food grade preservative. Gluconolactone, a natural product derived from gluconic acid, a carbohydrate, can sooth and hydrate skin. When these two are paired together, Gluconolactone will boost the preservative effect of sodium benzoate. Accepted under the natural and organic standards of Ecocert." It is rated a 3 on EWG as a low hazard.

Boron Nitride is listed as an oil absorber and is also rated a "0" no hazard on EWG...
Both Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide have been in every mineral makeup brand I have personally used, it is explained on the FO website as being a mineral based sunscreen and colorant... on EWG it is rated a 2-3 LOW concern. Iron oxides are also a colorant and rated a 2 on EWG.

I couldn't find any product on the FO website with polysorbate listed as an ingredient so I contacted them and they replied, "Hello Danny, thank you for your question. We currently only use polysorbate in our Bambi Eyes Mascara and we are currently phasing this out as we speak due to having sourced a more natural eco friendly substitute. We always strive to source the highest quality natural ingredients. If we can help with any other questions just let us know. Thank you! Faerie Organic Team" I looked it up on EWG anyways, and it is stated as being a 3 or low concern.

As for the "Rainbow Child Body Lotion" this is listed under their "sun products" and comes with their "tanning kit" so I do not think it is meant to be used on children as it also comes with tanning oil and a body scrub. It seems the product name is "rainbow child" as all the products in this line seem to have names associated with the hippie era (the tanning oil is called Dirty Hippie). I looked up the ingredients and do not even see sodium hydroxymethylglycinate listed as an ingredient. Here is the ingredient listing....
."ingredients: water, *organic aloe vera juice,*organic sunflower oil, *organic olive oil, *organic virgin coconut oil, *organic hemp seed oil, cetearyl olivate (natural emulsifier from olive), sorbitan olivate(natural emulsifier from olive), *organic glycerin, *organic shea butter, xanthan gum (NON GMO), *organic carrot root extract, *organic green tea extract, *organic white tea extract, *organic olive leaf extract, *organic ginkgo biloba extract, *organic essential oil blend, *organic fragrance, radish root ferment, vitamin E, sodium benzoate, gluconolactone.".....http://www.faerieorganic.com/#!product/prd1/2315612031/rainbow-child-body-lotion

Overall it seems like the previous reviewer was much ado about nothing....I am actually happy they posted, as now I spent the extra time and effort to look it up and feel even more confidant about my choice using the FO's products. Overall I love the products and give two thumbs up!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2015 3:01:00 PM More reviews by lsr2015

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OK. This company is NOT as advertised. Directly from the website (putting aside grammatical and spelling errors): “Erin believes cancer and modern disease are caused by a build up of toxicity, and so chooses to create holistic, healing products that you can feel safe putting on your skin. Faerie Organic products contain the healing plant force elements that not only help you to obtain beautiful skin but also help our earth at the same time”. Below is my review of this company.

Eyecream (this eye cream had both eyes swell up, burn and extreme redness for 12 hours)… some of the contents include:
Xanthan gum (INORGANIC) is a food additive. It is a common ingredient in processed foods. “People who are exposed to xanthan gum powder might experience flu-like symptoms, nose and throat irritation, and lung problems.”
Sodium benzoate – linked to cancer (amongst other things: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/sodium-benzoate-sodium-phenylacetate-side-effects.html)

Foundation (this foundation left huge hives on my face)… some of the contents include:
Boron Nitrate (INORGANIC), commonly known to irritate skin and eyes.
Titanium Dioxide linked to cancer, allergies, immunotoxicity and organ system toxicity. (http://www.naturalnews.com/027000_titanium_dioxide_vitamins.html#)

Zinc Oxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_oxide#Safety) INORGANIC - while considered safe in small doses, inhaling can cause health issues (safe working conditions?)

Iron Oxide (http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pel88/1309-37.html) INORGANIC – potentially harmful when breathed in. Again, not concerned about small doses but is it safe to work with??

Other products include: Polysorbate 20 an inorganic substance that has many alternatives available, it’s just cheaper to use this.

After more investigation into this “organic” practice, I found the most appalling thing. The Rainbow Child Lotion contains Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate: http://www.truthinskincare.com/2008/01/ingredient-watch-sodium.html a known extreme irritant to sensitive skin (ahem, a child’s skin).

I don’t care if her company uses these “chemicals”. I care that it is not clearly stated that her products contain chemicals. I am tired of Organic companies sitting on their respective high horses, judging the rest of the world for not following full organic ways and then altering the rules around so they can make a buck.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 2:36:00 AM More reviews by delnetra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I enjoy this product. I have been waiting to write a review for the long run and it's been about six months now. My skin is clearer, and I dig the products. I have oily/acne prone skin. I was in search of a foundation that would not cause breakouts, but would give great coverage because I noticed any day I would wear make up that next day I would have a breakout or pimple. So I tried this and I loved it. I am Golden Dark and it matches perfectly. Only downfall fall is if you are apart of the darker skin tones they only have one foundation option and the others have about three I believe. That needs to be changed. Other than that it's great. I can be very natural with my make up one day and glamorous the next. I'd say it's work a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by darty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use the fair concealer and flower child face primer. These products are excellent, I could even wear them when I had a case of perioral dermatitis, they didn't exacerbate it at all, it actually seems to make your skin healthier. I use the primer instead of a foundation and/or finishing powder. The primer has silica in it which makes you photograph well, but you need to be careful that you don't put too much on or your face will appear white. the concealer has excellent coverage, though I wish it came in more shades as it is a bit yellow next to my skin. I tend to have dry skin and this mineral makeup doesn't dry it out. It is a powder makeup so it will settle in cracks and make you look more wrinkled if you don't smooth it out once a day. My only complaint is shipping, they only offer priority ($6, even if you only spend $16), which is often overpriced for the actual weight of the product, and they take a while to actually ship it so even though you are paying for priority mail it can take 2 wks for your package to arrive. In this day and age of crazy fast shipping by ANY merchant, be it small and independently owned or Amazon Prime that just doesn't fly. That said, I've been a faithful customer for years because their product is just that good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2014 6:53:00 AM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased the product in Light - Airbrush Formula hoping to find a sub for Jane Iredale which for some reason has been breaking me out lately. Love the packaging on this product as it incorporates a sifter with a closing top unlike most mineral brands. Also love that the ingredients are minimal and it does not contain extra extracts and such which could cause allergies or break outs. The price point at $22 USD is lower than many other mineral makeup brands.
This did not break me out or cause any allergy issues. However, I would probably not purchase this particular formula again because the coverage is much too sheer for me. Even with the concealer powder from the same brand underneath, I had a hard time getting it to cover dark spots and the occasional blemish. It did not seem very buildable and repeated application produced limited result. This is far more sheer than other mineral foundations I have tried.

I would recommend this formulation for someone either very young with perfect skin or someone who does not like the look of having makeup on at all.

In all this is not the best mineral foundation nor the worst I have tried and I do find that the idea that there is a benefit to cutting out the extra ingredients has merit. I will be trying their Maximum Coverage formula to see if that offers more suitable coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Llavin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love them! I have searched high and low for 100% Organic make-up that I could afford and that was as good as they say it is. I can rest assured I have found it and I'm certainly never straying from them! They are amazing! I love their face cleansers too!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Julietlysm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I know the price is fair, but over $130 just for bottles I have to replace monthly? Uhg..that hurts.
This skin care line did not work for my skin.

I am selling through PayPal the following Faerie Organic items to any lady who wants to sample before they buy the real deal.
I have
foundation MEDIUM COVERAGE (Fairly Light) (90% full)
tinted moisturizer (One shade)
matte veil (85% full)
cleanser (%45 full)
hazelnut serum (45% full)
2 foundation samples
$50 shipped, through PayPal.
This is an awesome opportunity to try this stuff out before you buy the full size!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 3:44:00 AM More reviews by NT568

BACKGROUND:
This is my first ever make-up review.

After a few years of using make-up without issues, my skin started acting up. I now have EXTREMELY sensitive skin, eczema* and somewhat oily t-zone that is prone to breakouts. In the past I've used many (not all) of the generic brands that you might see in drugstores; Maybelline, Revlon, Loreal etc. and moved onto brands like Nude, Clinique, MAC, Nars and MAC. Needless to say, for my skins sake I needed to ward off these products. I started getting allergic reactions to everything. Even though they had never been a problem in the past. So, I searched for an organic alternative for sensitive, dry and acne prone skin. I stumbled across Faerie Organics.

PROS:
- VERY natural finish - (airbrush version**) if you are looking for light-medium coverage, its perfect
- actually helps with acne scaring as the company has claimed; after using the products I did notice a great improvement on my scarring
- does not cause me breakouts
- offers generous sample sizes for colour matching; each sample lasts quite a while for you to try them on a few times to see if you like the finish and if the colour matches
- great customer service (I think they would generally be very good, because I have bothered them many times, and each time I've contacted them, I have been treated very well. BUt some other people have said otherwise so I think those may be rare occurrences?)
- you don't need much when applying to cover faint blemishes and even skin tone
- lasts quite well (normally lasts the whole day for me depending on my activities and weather)

CONS:
- sample packaging is VERY messy - its like a little round dish with a snap on lid, each time you close it the powder flies so perhaps do it over the sink
- irritates areas with broken skin - when my eczema is really flaring and there is broken skin, i've noticed that having even the powder
- like most powders, your dry patches will look noticeably dry so make sure to moisturise well and let your moisturiser set before applying

Overall, I am loving this brand so far. I have the foundation in medium golden and golden olive (I use this as contour shade), face primer, sheer finishing veil, matte veil, sun goddess bronzer and concealer.

I want to try Terra Firma and Afterglow ones too. I will put reviews once I try them :)

(IRRELEVANT) NOTE FOR ECZEMA SUFFERERS:
*My eczema is in the process recovery - my eczema worsened due to hydrocortisone cream (topical steroid cream). I was unaware and trusted the GPs. Anyways, try not to use hydrocortisone if you are using it. Your skin will flare a lot, and die down, and flare again but it will recover (research topical steroid withdrawal). Oatmeal milk helps and I've just been using Cetaphil cleanser and mix my own moisturise; sorbolene and olive oil. Works wonders. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by carick85

I just started using this foundation after discovering that my usual foundation (Jane Iredale), had comedogenic ingredients. So far I love it! I am absolutely amazed with the coverage. I ordered the max coverage foundation and almost ordered a separate concealer since I need one with most foundations.. not this one! I apply the makeup with my brush, and then go over red spots with the foundation and a concealer brush. It is amazing, and I feel confident that the ingredients won't break me out. I also ordered the matte veil.. great for oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by MarifreakinA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started getting into MMU around the time BE started getting a bad rap. When I used BE, the foundation would break me out and the oil production on my skin increased; so I have never been crazy about BE. My skin is acne prone and oily, I have tried to use make up that wouldn't irritate my skin or cause break outs, so drug store brand make up is out (I just don't trust it). My go to MMU became OceanMist Cosmetics, I didn't think MMU could get any better than this lovely brand....But I was young and naive. I had been using OceanMist for a few years with no problems; their MMU is cheaper than most brands and they give you a lot of it. Eventually, I grew tired of my #1 brand and was on the search for something else. I had remembered that I bought a sample from Faerie Organics but I wasn't impressed. Regardless, I had decided to try their brand again. If there is one negative thing I have to say about this company, it's that they take FOREVER to finally ship it out. I waited for about 2 weeks to get my jar of MMU! When I got it I really liked the packaging, a big jar that contains a sifter, I really liked it. Before my classes, I used FO for the first time; I was IN LOVE!! It covered my hyperpigmentation marks flawlessly and my skin looked beautiful.

This MMU is so worth it, compared to other brands it's not too expensive and they do give you quite a bit. FO FTW!