August 22, 2014 | 1244 users online

Lipstick - Kat Von D - Homegirl

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Glamagogo77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Homegirl is an amazing colour. It tops the list of "I've been looking for this colour all my life." As others have stated it's very (verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry) dramatic - but if you're looking for this colour then you are a dramatic type of woman. You will get complements in regards to this colour, you also will get looked at. It stands out and it's not for wallflowers at all.

Homegirl is not perfect however, I find it oily and the colour easily transfers to cups, collars, and whatever else your lips come in contact with. Regardless of that because this colour is simply amazing (dark, with no hint of brown) I love it to death and just make a note to carry it with me so I can reapply throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 2:22:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPayge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you want a long-wearing, practically black lipstick then here you go. This came in a set so I wouldn't give a low rating to a product because I personally did not like the color. It came with 'Lolita' and 'Hellbent' and I am very, very happy with both of those. The main reason I even bothered to review is because on several swatches online, it seems to be more berry than it actually is and I appreciate finding out that a swatch can be deceiving before I buy a product. I thought it looked hideous, on me. Lots of women can rock that almost black color and if you can, this is for you. If you were to kiss a napkin, it would look berry but at a casual glance, it really does look black.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2011 2:46:00 PM More reviews by briestoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I worked at Sephora and got this lippie cheap . I bought it because I figured it would be a great swap item ( high end lipstick and all ) and it has been . the color is VERY pretty and VERY dramatic. Homegirl ( the name) I think is more an homage to the women that KVD sees as the demo to the Pretty Dramatic Colors ( and not just a way to say "hey black woman this is for you" ) . I have saved one of these lippies ( got them cheap as I said) for days when i feel a. like I need to be a little bit badass! 2. days when my diva is running high 3. days when I feel like " hey , yeah you , look at me , want me and be scared at the same time"
Not a color for wimps but I find most of the KVD colors are rich and not for color pansey.
I would buy again if I saw it at a good deal , just for the record

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by beautyfixer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the color but it feels so sticky.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

rebel- I've seen plenty of women aside from the 'cholas' wearing colors like this. I'm paler than you & I wear dark shades.

That said- this is also a HG product for me. I've had my eye on it for months & finally bought it today. It's thick, pigmented, and very moisturizing. Lasts forever too. It's expensive at $18, but its worth it cause just a dab will do. I dont know if this comes in lipstick form, but I have the gloss version, just to clarify.

I <3 Kat Von D :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2009 2:48:00 AM More reviews by GothicCharmSchool

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think Homegirl is the lipstick holy grail I've been searching for. It is a dark, DARK pomegranate wine color, very similar to NARS discontinued "Chandernagor" matte lip stain. What makes it a stand-out winner for me is that there is NO brown tone to it whatsoever. It is the darkest cherry wine color you can imagine, and looks very striking. Not for anyone who views dark lipstick as shocking or daring, but for those of us who have been looking for the perfect dark wine red, this is it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2008 11:01:00 PM More reviews by punk_rock_grrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Homegirl is not for wallflowers, because you will get noticed (and not always in a good way) with this lippie. Brings me back to my days as a teen when I wouldn't leave the house without my black lipstick. Ahhh, lovely teenage angst. Homegirl is probably a hard to pull off shade for a lot of people, as it can come across very goth, even on my tan skin. But when blended with clear gloss, it transforms from almost black to a lovely sheer purply-plum color. I like both looks, but with the gloss, this color is much more wearable. Homegirl is such a dramatic color, that you should start with perfect skin (foundation, powder, or at least some concealer on problem areas) because this lippie will highlight imperfections. Also, make sure your lips are exfoliated and lightly moisturized because such a dark color will emphasize dry, chapped lips and will result in a gross, chunky appearance. Although Homegirl takes some effort to wear, the results definitely pay off. Glad I listened to the girls at Sephora who raved about this color with my skintone and gave this one a chance.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Petalofarose

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Response from a "chocola"

Whoever wrote the "homegirl" review below was very offensive. Grouping us as "chocolas" and "theys?"--whatever!

Now, this lipstick IS a pretty color, but it is toooooooo drying. My lips peel very bad after wearing this lipstick.

I also was disappointed to see that Kat chose the name "homegirl." I am a black lawyer so I don't see anyone calling me homegirl.

Anyway, this lipstick is dry; wear it with some lipgloss or something.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by rebel_zionfire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Homegirl is part of the duo along with Rosary known as Kat Von D's Holiday lipsticks. There was no product description on Sephora's site, but I ordered it nonetheless since I was happy with Misfit. They looked dark and Vampy and she hit the nail on the head as far as that goes. The cons? Where do I begin? She got the name right since this is a very dark, nearing black, purple that I've seen fellow former classmate "homegirls" or cholas wearing. I realize that it's far too dark for my NW20 self, but I can't imagine even them being able to pull this one off. They wouldn't want to even if they could. This is literally THE MOST HORRIBLE lipstick I've ever tried. It's so dry that it makes putting on MAC's matte formulas feel like pure silk sliding over your lips. Speaking of sliding I do have full lips but this stuff slid all over the place. I never so much as even tried to touch my lips after applying and this still bled so far beyond my lip line that I looked like the gangster version of The Joker. It somehow manages to sit on top of your lips barely leaving any pigmentation behind when you wipe it off (luckily). As far as the formula goes I'm still trying to figure out how they came out with something similar to the cheapest set of wax lips you can find. How it manages to ooze of wax yet still be bone dry I'll never know. Seriously, you would think at least one person would have tested this before having the ballz to put it on the shelf. The good news? If you're looking to get your worst enemy a Christmas gift I can highly recommend this!