December 22, 2014 | 1303 users online

Lipstick - Kat Von D - Homegirl

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2014 5:32:00 PM More reviews by minusthegirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this lipstick last year. I wanted to love it. However, there are SO MANY things wrong with this lipstick that I just wouldn't be able to do that.

1) The application is awful. I've never put on a lipstick that felt so uncomfortable. It's waxy, and it does not spread well at all. I tried this over three different lip balm brands and a MAC lipstick primer and it failed on all four of them. I would rub my lips together to try and move the color around, it would just get all over my teeth. God forbid you ever try to kiss someone or drink from a glass with this stuff on.

2) DRY, DRY, DRY!!! This lipstick is not moisturizing at all. It's intensely dry and it's painful when you take it off. Literally. My lips peeled and cracked after removing this-it just sucks all the moisture right out of them. Even with other matte lipsticks I don't have this problem. It was like I had never even put on lip balm to begin with.

3) Expensive, inferior product. I paid $19 for this lipstick at Sephora. For what it is (terrible), I would have at LEAST expected to have a product that went on easily or didn't transfer onto every damn thing it touches. I would not have paid $1 for this. I have a super cheap $1 New York Color lippie that works 100 times better and goes on much smoother than this high end horror. Even my Laura Mercier lipstick boasts impeccable quality and feels like silk going on. Despite the fact that the lip color did not suit me, and I paid over $20 for that tube, I would not hesitate to buy another Laura Mercier lippie because the application was so wonderful and the color LASTS without transferring. It's good quality. This, is not.

On the plus side, the packaging was beautiful. I bought this color back when the tube still had the matte black and silver rose print. I thought it was gorgeous. I should have known that I was paying for the packaging.

Maybe Kat Von D has stepped up her lippie game, I don't know. I will not EVER buy a lippie from her line ever again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by daragovan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love the color. Don't love the dryness. It was incredibly drying and patchy. I exfoliated, used lip primer and liner. still no luck. I returned it for the liquid lipstick instead. Try Vampira. it's a much better application and is long wearing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by Lobos13

Well I bought this lipstick about a week ago and I absolutely love it.I mostly wear nudes so this was something totally different color wise.Its such a pretty color and it goes with every skin color.The best thing is that its a matte lipstick that stays put.It even stayed put through dinner and a few cocktails and I didnt have to run to the bathroom for a touch up.I absolutely recommend this lipstick to everyone and I will purchase again...love it

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by Glamagogo77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Homegirl is an amazing colour. It tops the list of "I've been looking for this colour all my life." As others have stated it's very (verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry) dramatic - but if you're looking for this colour then you are a dramatic type of woman. You will get complements in regards to this colour, you also will get looked at. It stands out and it's not for wallflowers at all.

Homegirl is not perfect however, I find it oily and the colour easily transfers to cups, collars, and whatever else your lips come in contact with. Regardless of that because this colour is simply amazing (dark, with no hint of brown) I love it to death and just make a note to carry it with me so I can reapply throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 2:22:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPayge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you want a long-wearing, practically black lipstick then here you go. This came in a set so I wouldn't give a low rating to a product because I personally did not like the color. It came with 'Lolita' and 'Hellbent' and I am very, very happy with both of those. The main reason I even bothered to review is because on several swatches online, it seems to be more berry than it actually is and I appreciate finding out that a swatch can be deceiving before I buy a product. I thought it looked hideous, on me. Lots of women can rock that almost black color and if you can, this is for you. If you were to kiss a napkin, it would look berry but at a casual glance, it really does look black.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2011 2:46:00 PM More reviews by briestoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I worked at Sephora and got this lippie cheap . I bought it because I figured it would be a great swap item ( high end lipstick and all ) and it has been . the color is VERY pretty and VERY dramatic. Homegirl ( the name) I think is more an homage to the women that KVD sees as the demo to the Pretty Dramatic Colors ( and not just a way to say "hey black woman this is for you" ) . I have saved one of these lippies ( got them cheap as I said) for days when i feel a. like I need to be a little bit badass! 2. days when my diva is running high 3. days when I feel like " hey , yeah you , look at me , want me and be scared at the same time"
Not a color for wimps but I find most of the KVD colors are rich and not for color pansey.
I would buy again if I saw it at a good deal , just for the record

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by beautyfixer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the color but it feels so sticky.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

rebel- I've seen plenty of women aside from the 'cholas' wearing colors like this. I'm paler than you & I wear dark shades.

That said- this is also a HG product for me. I've had my eye on it for months & finally bought it today. It's thick, pigmented, and very moisturizing. Lasts forever too. It's expensive at $18, but its worth it cause just a dab will do. I dont know if this comes in lipstick form, but I have the gloss version, just to clarify.

I <3 Kat Von D :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2009 2:48:00 AM More reviews by GothicCharmSchool

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think Homegirl is the lipstick holy grail I've been searching for. It is a dark, DARK pomegranate wine color, very similar to NARS discontinued "Chandernagor" matte lip stain. What makes it a stand-out winner for me is that there is NO brown tone to it whatsoever. It is the darkest cherry wine color you can imagine, and looks very striking. Not for anyone who views dark lipstick as shocking or daring, but for those of us who have been looking for the perfect dark wine red, this is it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2008 11:01:00 PM More reviews by punk_rock_grrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Homegirl is not for wallflowers, because you will get noticed (and not always in a good way) with this lippie. Brings me back to my days as a teen when I wouldn't leave the house without my black lipstick. Ahhh, lovely teenage angst. Homegirl is probably a hard to pull off shade for a lot of people, as it can come across very goth, even on my tan skin. But when blended with clear gloss, it transforms from almost black to a lovely sheer purply-plum color. I like both looks, but with the gloss, this color is much more wearable. Homegirl is such a dramatic color, that you should start with perfect skin (foundation, powder, or at least some concealer on problem areas) because this lippie will highlight imperfections. Also, make sure your lips are exfoliated and lightly moisturized because such a dark color will emphasize dry, chapped lips and will result in a gross, chunky appearance. Although Homegirl takes some effort to wear, the results definitely pay off. Glad I listened to the girls at Sephora who raved about this color with my skintone and gave this one a chance.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No