November 28, 2014 | 1592 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Blue Black

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2013 3:36:00 AM More reviews by babyybear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk since I first started to dye to my hair and not just because of the price. I went on a two year hair dye break and felt my hair looked too dull for me. I wanted a change. I wanted to go back to how my previous hair was two-three years ago. It was brown, and the longest layers were black. This time around I decided to go blue black. I read some bad reviews about it, but still decided to give it a shot.

The color could have not come out better! Sure in normal light to distance or to the natural eye it looks black, but only when you put it under sun light or fluorescent lighting you notice the blue. I even took a picture and it looked AMAZING. I couldn't be anymore satisfied with a $2 product.

I have really long hair, and since I only used it on my longest layers one box was enough. Heck! Half a box would have been enough. I love that it looks natural, but still for the summer it has that blue glow. Something different. I know it will eventually fade, and I don't mind. Will it be another two years before I dye my hair again? I have no idea...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by pulsesync

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my hair various shades of black over the years to experiment with the way they fade, and decided it was best to get a blue-black shade because when the blue sheen fades, it looks just like a super dark black, then kind of like a soft black, then super deep dark brown (which is my natural hair color). By buying a blue-black dye, I dye my hair much less frequently (every 4-5 months). As it fades, people ask me if I've colored my hair in any way but they can't put their finger on it, which I think is a fun side effect.

I also love the blue sheen. It's really striking, and it suits my skintone. This has a bluer sheen than most blue-black dyes. For example, all of Garnier's blue black dyes lines are a joke. Revlon Colorsilk Blue Black is bluer than those. I am going to try their Colorsilk Buttercream Blue Black dye next to see how it compares. Hopefully the blue in that one will last longer. (Edit 9/22/13 - The Buttercream version has no obvious blue tone but it is very very dark black)

If you want to touch up the blue without dying your hair again and again, you may try applying a bright blue or indigo Manic Panic "dye" to your hair overnight every 3 weeks (seeing as you're putting it on black hair), and avoiding sulfate shampoos (might as well do the no-poo method). It will give you back the blue sheen and conditions your hair in the process. It sits around the hair shaft instead of penetrating it so it is not damaging. This CAN get expensive but if you're really into having a blue sheen it should work, or you can just skip some weeks.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by cupinjer

I have been dying my hair for a while now, and been looking for a black dye that would stay in my hair (still no luck). I have just applied this dye and is still waiting for it to process as i'm writing this review. First of all, you get what you pay for. It dries up your hair and burns your scalp before you even finish applying the entire bottle. Also, i have a very short hair (above shoulder length), and i was running out of dye before i could finish. Overall, price is good, application sucks, dye quantity sucks, color result i don't know yet.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an okay black dye, but if you're looking for something that's really blue-black, this isn't it. The blue hardly showed up at all, and faded completely after just 2 washes. I dyed my hair with this only a little over a week ago, and it is now what I would call brown-black. I've had problems with fading with the regular Black shade, as well. A few yrs ago (before I went back to blonde, then back to black) I used the Colorsilk in Soft Black, and somehow, that lasted forever. Didn't fade at all, and looked more intense than either Black or Blue Black. So I think it's time for me to go back to that and quit screwing around with their other black shades.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by xstaylor30x

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've used this quite a few times, it's just an average blue black dye. I really only bought it a lot because the price is so cheap, and it gives me the color I want, it's just not vibrant at all, it fades quickly, and leaves my already coarse hair even more coarse and dry than before. I buy it only when I'm low on cash and NEED to dye my hair, but my first choice is Feria Starry Night, it's a much better result.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by lillybloo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Absolute best at-home black haircolor you can use. I don't know why I haven't reviewed this before. It's one of those things I just take for granted. But I really have to share just how great this is. I've tried other black dyes, LOTS of them. Most fade horribly, leaving me with really dark, dirty looking brown hair. But this is so cheap, could it really be that good? Um, YES. Application is pretty standard for at-home color, nothing different there. The gloves they give you are ha-ha funny and you really need to use better ones. The packet of conditioner is not nearly enough, either. But for $3-4, the results are pretty fantastic! The shiny blue-blackness looks beautiful. The blue really shines for the first week or so, but as others have mentioned, it does fade out. But the deep, rich black stays true till roots come in. I personally am in love with this, and if they ever stop making this particular brand/shade I'm going to have a panic attack. It's really THAT awesome. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 11:07:00 AM More reviews by AyameAngel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this dye. It is rich in color and makes my hair look silky and shiny. I normally use Revlon Colorsilk hair color in Black but since I've discovered this beauty I will use this product instead of the other. It's very cheap, at Wal mart I got it for $2 with a coupon. I will definatly repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by daisymrgrta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the only hair color that comes the closest to what I want. I've used Feria bright black and the newest blue black shade they came out with and I keep going back to Colorsilk because it doesn't fade like all the others!!! Weird, being that this one doesn't have ammonia. Also, it doesn't damage my hair like all the others (Feria causes havoc on my hair). I love the price of this stuff too!!! The most I've ever paid for it is $4 but I usually only have to pay $2.89 or so for each box at Walmart. Love it!!!! I'm going to try something new this next time though because I want more blue undertones. I just read a review on Manic Panic After Midnight Blue. One review said she used Manic Panic as a toner over her black haircolor and she was able to accomplish the bright blue black she's been looking for. I want a bunch of blue shine when the light or sun hits my hair. We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck ya'll!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2011 11:46:00 AM More reviews by kristen20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite black hair dye, it is such a rich, deep color with a slight hint of blue when the light reflects it. I have naturally dark hair, but I use it to give my hair that extra depth and shine. I did not find a difference between Colorsilk and more expensive dyes such as L'Oreal Feria, or Garnier. I just love how ridiculously shiny my hair looks after I use this! Unfortunately the blue hints fade after a few weeks, but my hair is still left in good condition. By the way, this is also the same hair dye that Dita Von Teese uses to color her hair ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by glitterfacedranda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've wanted black hair my entire life.I finaly went for it 3 days ago and I used this.I had been debating between this,and 2 other brands and this had the best reviews so I went for it.It covers good and the color is beautiful.It doesn't have a terrible smell like some dyes and trust me,I have used nearly every drugstore brand on the market and there are some stinkers:DThe conditioner has a nice almost bubble gum smell to me.Overall,I love this dye and plan on using it for a long while!!
***UPDATE***
It's been almost 8 months and the color is just now coming out!!The only reason its faded is because i've colored and lightly bleached it or else it would still be black!If you want very black hair,you def need to go with this!Not a very drying dye and awesome satying power.The best of all the 6 Revlon shades I've used and the color that has stayed in my hair the best of many the times I've dyed it.