Revlon Colorsilk in Blue Black

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a review for the Revlon Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream in Blue Black. Yes, I know there's a section for this new Revlon Hair Color type here on makeupalley but I wanted to post my review here in case someone is looking for a specific Blue Black Color from Revlon.
~
This is a true inkwell black with a cool toned blue hue. This product claims to have 3 natural butters in it to moisturize your locks. It's a permanent hair color which all drugstore box colors are even if they claim not to be.
~
I used to use Sally's One n Only Argan Oil Demi in very black that claimed to be conditioning. My hair was only slightly conditioned and never looked as rich as I had wanted to. After using that for some time I decided that I would bite the bullet and go for this Revlon color at Wal-Mart to avoid having to make a trip to Sally's. It looked like it would be rich enough and the moisturizing claims looked promising. This is coming from someone who would only use salon quality items as far as shampoo, conditioner and hair color goes. Nothing drugstore has ever touched my head for a few months. During the coloring process I noticed how thick this product is. So thick that in fact my hair felt really gummy. I have a short a-line bob and one box was more than enough but I used the whole tube of color to ensure maximum coverage. I used my own personal coloring bowl and hair brush to store and apply the color which is much easier than the bottle given in the box. I also wide tooth combed (a cheap one from Sally's) my hair while the color was still on my head to give me the most even coverage and the comb slid through so smoothly. Once I waited and saw the oxidizing process start to turn my hair black I was blown away and so excited to rinse my hair out. During the rinsing process my hair felt so soft!!!!! I used my own shampoo/deep conditioner combo. I would never use the stuff that comes in the box. Once I had let my hair air dry it looked so shiny and truly as rich as I had wanted to. Every 4 months (2 times a year) I'll touch up with this box from my roots to midshafts (only coloring down to the demarcation line) and once a year I'II do a whole color process from roots to ends. Since then I have also switched from a horribly drying Kenra shampoo and conditioner to a Pantene Classic Clean 2-1 Shampoo plus Conditioner daily and follow it up with my regular salon deep conditioner every now and then. Drugstore products weren't for me at first and aren't for everyone but as long as you do your research and pick products and brands that suit your specific hair type, texture and needs you should be alright and your wallet should be thanking you too!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Best black dye I have ever used. It's a level 1 dark black with blue tones. Rich color and very shiny. The dye did not damage or dry out my hair. It did not fade until months later to a dark black without the vibrant blue tone. If you want dark black hair that actually appears inky, use this dye. Plus, it's inexpensive so you can't go wrong. Holy Grail product!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I learned about this product while I was in college. My roommate was from Hawaii, and she'd buy boxes of these for her mom at the dollar store and ship them back to the island. I guess in Hawaii these are ten bucks each, and her mom won't use anything else. In my mind's eye, I have black hair, but in reality, especially in the sunshine, my hair is actually dark bronzy-brown, so to get the black hair I SHOULD have, I have to dye it. And nowadays, the greys are becoming more frequent. For the past couple of years, I've been using L'Oreal, but this is a fraction of the price and works great. I get that inky black-as-sin color PLUS lots of shine.

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk since I first started to dye to my hair and not just because of the price. I went on a two year hair dye break and felt my hair looked too dull for me. I wanted a change. I wanted to go back to how my previous hair was two-three years ago. It was brown, and the longest layers were black. This time around I decided to go blue black. I read some bad reviews about it, but still decided to give it a shot.

The color could have not come out better! Sure in normal light to distance or to the natural eye it looks black, but only when you put it under sun light or fluorescent lighting you notice the blue. I even took a picture and it looked AMAZING. I couldn't be anymore satisfied with a $2 product.

I have really long hair, and since I only used it on my longest layers one box was enough. Heck! Half a box would have been enough. I love that it looks natural, but still for the summer it has that blue glow. Something different. I know it will eventually fade, and I don't mind. Will it be another two years before I dye my hair again? I have no idea...

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have been dying my hair various shades of black over the years to experiment with the way they fade, and decided it was best to get a blue-black shade because when the blue sheen fades, it looks just like a super dark black, then kind of like a soft black, then super deep dark brown (which is my natural hair color). By buying a blue-black dye, I dye my hair much less frequently (every 4-5 months). As it fades, people ask me if I've colored my hair in any way but they can't put their finger on it, which I think is a fun side effect.

I also love the blue sheen. It's really striking, and it suits my skintone. This has a bluer sheen than most blue-black dyes. For example, all of Garnier's blue black dyes lines are a joke. Revlon Colorsilk Blue Black is bluer than those. I am going to try their Colorsilk Buttercream Blue Black dye next to see how it compares. Hopefully the blue in that one will last longer. (Edit 9/22/13 - The Buttercream version has no obvious blue tone but it is very very dark black)

If you want to touch up the blue without dying your hair again and again, you may try applying a bright blue or indigo Manic Panic "dye" to your hair overnight every 3 weeks (seeing as you're putting it on black hair), and avoiding sulfate shampoos (might as well do the no-poo method). It will give you back the blue sheen and conditions your hair in the process. It sits around the hair shaft instead of penetrating it so it is not damaging. This CAN get expensive but if you're really into having a blue sheen it should work, or you can just skip some weeks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have been dying my hair for a while now, and been looking for a black dye that would stay in my hair (still no luck). I have just applied this dye and is still waiting for it to process as i'm writing this review. First of all, you get what you pay for. It dries up your hair and burns your scalp before you even finish applying the entire bottle. Also, i have a very short hair (above shoulder length), and i was running out of dye before i could finish. Overall, price is good, application sucks, dye quantity sucks, color result i don't know yet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is an okay black dye, but if you're looking for something that's really blue-black, this isn't it. The blue hardly showed up at all, and faded completely after just 2 washes. I dyed my hair with this only a little over a week ago, and it is now what I would call brown-black. I've had problems with fading with the regular Black shade, as well. A few yrs ago (before I went back to blonde, then back to black) I used the Colorsilk in Soft Black, and somehow, that lasted forever. Didn't fade at all, and looked more intense than either Black or Blue Black. So I think it's time for me to go back to that and quit screwing around with their other black shades.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I've used this quite a few times, it's just an average blue black dye. I really only bought it a lot because the price is so cheap, and it gives me the color I want, it's just not vibrant at all, it fades quickly, and leaves my already coarse hair even more coarse and dry than before. I buy it only when I'm low on cash and NEED to dye my hair, but my first choice is Feria Starry Night, it's a much better result.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Absolute best at-home black haircolor you can use. I don't know why I haven't reviewed this before. It's one of those things I just take for granted. But I really have to share just how great this is. I've tried other black dyes, LOTS of them. Most fade horribly, leaving me with really dark, dirty looking brown hair. But this is so cheap, could it really be that good? Um, YES. Application is pretty standard for at-home color, nothing different there. The gloves they give you are ha-ha funny and you really need to use better ones. The packet of conditioner is not nearly enough, either. But for $3-4, the results are pretty fantastic! The shiny blue-blackness looks beautiful. The blue really shines for the first week or so, but as others have mentioned, it does fade out. But the deep, rich black stays true till roots come in. I personally am in love with this, and if they ever stop making this particular brand/shade I'm going to have a panic attack. It's really THAT awesome. =)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love this dye. It is rich in color and makes my hair look silky and shiny. I normally use Revlon Colorsilk hair color in Black but since I've discovered this beauty I will use this product instead of the other. It's very cheap, at Wal mart I got it for $2 with a coupon. I will definatly repurchase.