August 1, 2014 | 953 users online

Loose Powders - Stila - Hydrating Finishing Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by dtd311

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this powder when looking for a replacement from my MUFE HD setting powder. This Stila powder is much more effective at keeping my makeup in place during the day. I'd estimate it's effective for about 6 hours. It is a medium shade, and though I'm pale, it blends right in to my skin without making me look orange. The packaging is great too. I love that I can close the sifter and not have to worry about having the entire contents empty into the top while traveling. It does leave my skin a bit dewier than I prefer, so I'm still looking for an ideal powder. Overall, good product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2012 10:38:00 PM More reviews by bibianacheng

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Regret buying it. Was attracted by the texture smooth texture. Color is way too dark ( may b more suitable for tanned skin) . Orange pigment too strong, making my face 1 tone darker than my neck). Still prefer Laura mercier and Paul & joe loose powder. Very pricey for 12g of loose powder, almost 3x price as compare to other brands.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by JustGorgeous

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The properties of this powder are great and it really does hydrate my dry skin. HOWEVER... the mess this powder makes is not worth the effort! Opening the lid releases a cloud (I am not joking) of powder. Swirling my powder brush in the lid creates yet another visible cloud of this stuff. I have a glass topped vanity and it is completely covered in fine white powder when I am done. As much as I want to love this for the powder's great properties, it is just too much trouble!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2009 2:38:00 AM More reviews by brokeassprincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS: I love this finishing powder! It gives my face an airbrush finish, and keeps the shine away. Love it! I will repurchase.
CONS: The packaging is not very user friendly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2009 12:05:00 PM More reviews by StefieJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Awful - this is NOT translucent, it is verrry orange. I'm NW15, and it turned me orange like an oompa loompa. Not finely milled at all and kind of gritty.

The packaging is OK - it has a little turn thing so that you can close the sifter which makes it nice for travel.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2009 1:54:00 AM More reviews by bebejacket

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love those other silica based powders. The allure of pore minimizing qualities made me run to them. But they all left me with a weird ghastly cast. That made me sad.

This is a silica based powder that has a bit of a neutral tint. It truly goes on colorless, and undetectable and leaves my tan skin looking very smooh. I tried it to set my undereye concealer, and it darkened it a bit. So, I can't really use this undereye.

Although this helps set my fdtn, I don't feel like it helps to make it last longer, or is that great for controlling oilies.

The cap of the jar is terrible. It snaps shut, and if the container is on its side, or in a travel or makeup bag, some powder leaks out. This is despite the twist-close shaker top (I do like this feature). I just wish this had a more secure cover.

I would probably re-buy.

And if someone can tell me what the ingredient, "ectoin" is, let me know.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by renatasydney

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Other

Great quality finishing powder, doesn't go on chalky, doesn't make the face look like a mask and over-done. The jar with dispenser isn't great, as it doesn't have some sort of protective membrane if you happen to have some powder left over in the dispenser. But, overall, goes on great, feels wonderful, lasts for ages and will be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2009 5:51:00 PM More reviews by foxysoxy804

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

AMAZING finishing powder. I use this over by Lancome Teint Idol foundation and it's true beauty. The powder is a skin color but it dries clear. Suitable for everyone (only sold in one shade). Doesn't make me look powdery AT ALL. Love it!!! *knock on wood*

The jar is only half filled with the product as the previous reviewer mentioned. Which sucks. But the amount of powder seems to be pretty long-lasting so...I think it will be OK!

If you despised MUFE HD Finishing Powder because it was drying and gave your skin a white cast, THIS is for you!!! :)

EDIT: Still using and still loving. (5/21/09) I love how it is basically a sheer skin color power that sets makeup very nicely. I still have A LOT of powder left. I've used it over several foundations (currently using Revlon CS) and it has never failed me.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2008 9:48:00 AM More reviews by lovewaxberry

I couldn't resist any foundation product, especially loose powders and primers that says "hydrating" because my skin gets so dry during the winter. So when Stila came up with this I waited until beauty.com carried it with their 20% off sale to get one for myself.
The powder itself is not the most finely milled I've seen in this price range, just average. When I brushed it on I felt a coolness on my skin, as if there's little tiny bits of water in it that I couldn't see with my naked eye. I wore it with the stila tinted moisturizer and a little bit of concealer. For the rest of the day I constantly forgot that I wore makeup because it just felt so natural. I was like "did I wear makeup? No, it doesn't feel like it.. Ooh wait, I remember putting on makeup this morning!" lolz
The packaging is another story.. there's pros and cons. You could open and close the sifter, which is a big plus to the travel friendliness of the Powder. When I saw this in sephora, there's only a little bit of powder left, and it was a pretty big case, so I assumed that the powder would take up the whole case which is not a bad deal for 30 something dollars! However, when I got the case, the powder only takes up 1/2 of the case.. I know it's measured by weight but...couldn't they just make the case shorter so I have less of expectation in volume wise?

Picture on Stila's website:

The actual amount of powder I got
continued >>