October 30, 2014 | 1130 users online

Treatments (Face) - 3M - Nexcare Acne Patch

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by suggrr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

If you're reading reviews on this product, most likely you should just go ahead and order it because you probably could use it. If you get whiteheads, this is an absolute must have in my book. Flat out this is the best and most amazing facial product I've tried in years. I order these (usually two at a time) from Amazon for US$7.99 per box. They come in a blue box (where it's blue instead of yellow like the box with the female face in the images for this product) that says "3M Nexcare acne absorbing covers" and "works like a sponge to absorb pus and oil." And boy, does it ever. You get 12 big patches and 24 smaller patches. You can cut the bigger patches into smaller sections and it doesn't affect the patch's ability to work.

If I need to use one (or several), I first wash my face. Then, using a clean extractor, I pop any and all whiteheads that are big enough to be noticed. If you have a lot of pus and possibly blood coming out, you can lightly dab that away before applying the patch. You don't want to use your fingers and push the pus out- this amazing patch will pull that out for you while you sleep or go about your business. I don't know that a patch has ever fallen off while I was sleeping, but I have occasionally worried about that since some seem to be equally sticky on both sides. And you don't need to wear these only at night or use them only on facial acne- wear 'em any time and anywhere you need them. As this cover sits on your skin, you can see the icky pus and excess oil appear in spots on the cover. In the morning, I'm left with a pimple that is smaller, less pronounced and, best of all, not oozing. I'm left with something that doesn't have nasty rough skin edges and balls of dried liquid that are easily dislodged to make way for fresh pimple weeping and for my foundation to get caught in. Allegedly you can apply makeup over this patch, but it's so thick that I'm not sure that would work well.

I do occasionally get cystic acne that hangs around for three or four weeks, if not longer. At that point, I already know it'll leave a scar when it finally leaves. I have used the extractor to prick a small hole by at least one of these cysts (caution-this is very painful and you're possibly just damaging your skin without getting to the root of the problem if you try this!) and then put an acne patch over it for several hours. While it didn't make the cyst magically disappear, it did look a little flatter and less red. Hey, I'll take what I can get in situations like that.

In my experience, this doesn't work unless there's an open "wound" where pus can exit acne. If you have pimples without a poppable head or you don't want to pop anything, these probably aren't for you. If you're a face picker, these may help heal what you've picked open. Bottom line- if you get whiteheads and they pop, do yourself a huge favor and buy at least one box of these. They are magic.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by UndoubtedlyBatty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love this product. I bought one pack after reading the reviews on here and tried them out and loved them. They're fairly good for angry, disgusting puss-filled spots the day before a big event. I've now bought another pack and will be buying another (different types) because they work wonders when on overnight.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by beverlywho

I am so happy I discovered this product. It is honestly a lifesaver. These patches do an amazing job of absorbing the pus and oil from a popped pimple (I am an incessant pimple picker). I put a patch over a problem spot overnight and when I wake up the next morning, the area is significantly flatter and less inflamed, which makes the task of covering it up with concealer SO much easier until it heals completely. As others have mentioned, they will not do much in decreasing the size of cystic bumps that lack any sort of head or opening, and won't prevent acne from forming. Nonetheless, this product is incredible at doing what it's supposed to, and I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Gutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like most acne prone people I've tried a bunch of products and treatments to help.

I came off the pill a few months ago and my skin went crazy, massive cysts and white heads, I didn't even want to leave the house. My skin had not been so bad since i was younger and had active acne.

Nothing in my current range of products made a difference so I desperately searched the internet for things that would help, amongst others, bp, mario badescu glycolic gel and these.

I ordered off ebay from America, so they took a little while to come. By this point my skin had calmed down a touch, with the cysts and white heads still there but less of them popping up.

I used to be a massive picker, leaving open wounds on my face, I've improved a lot, still picking, but stopping way before I used to, which is when these patches work best.

Anyway, I think these patches are one of the, if not the best treatment I've ever used. I love that they are not harsh or medicated. As most people have said, they work the best on popped whiteheads, even if you only pop a tiny bit to open it up. Redness and bumpyness decreases drastically the next morning (I wear them to sleep only)

I did put them on my cysts, as I thought whats the worst that could happen, and I found more often then not, they were a bit flatter, so I still put them on. I have found that sometimes I put on whiteheads when they haven't popped and it draws out all the rubbish, and sometimes not, but as one reviewer said, they do not break the skin, so I guess that's why.

The adhesion for me has been fine, strong enough to stay on all night, and no residue or circles in the morning.

Overall, I love these, and would recommend to anyone. Slightly pricey, and annoying that they aren't sold in the uk. But I continually order so I never run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by megxoxo91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

And *where* have these been all my acne-prone life? This product is stellar. In the past with bad acne that I picked at, I had a similar idea to use small, round bandages overnight with triple antibiotic to keep the area clean and covered, but it never had the effect that these do. Everything contained in a popped pimple is absorbed, leaving it flat and almost nonexistent the next morning save for maybe the smallest dot and remnant of a blemish, and with assurance it won't come back in the same spot right away. Just gone, without any irritation to the skin. These little dots do what dozens of medicated spot treatments, masks, gels, creams, etc. could never do. All those do is irritate my skin, where this gets right to the specific problem of unclogging the specific areas and clearing the acne out. The price is pretty absurd, you should get at least 2-3 sheets in a box as opposed to one (I ordered them online from Walgreens) but they are a necessity to me now. Use them wisely (only on open acne) and they are worth every cent. I can't feel totally ripped off when they are just so effective. Can someone just devise a painless, non-irritating method like this for blackheads too?

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by achick

I LOVE these. I have bought so many packs, it is one of the only products I buy consistently. It will NOT work on cystic pimples with no head or something just coming through, so if you're looking for it to stop a new pimple that's not going to happen.

I use a very thin disposable needle to poke into the pimple then put the acne patch on. It sucks out all the gunk. I also use this after I've popped a pimple, even if you popped it you may not have gotten everything out and/or it re-fills usually (gets infected, etc.). You can actually see the pus in the patch itself in the morning (I wear it while I sleep with no issues).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 11:19:00 AM More reviews by nadiachengx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Im literally on my 8th packet - this stuff is the best. It really clears out the pus from pimples, especially if you pop them (although not recommended) However, it is quite pricey considering my skin is ridiculously acne prone - i use up to 5 of these per day, so one pack never lasts me more than 2 weeks :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:01:00 AM More reviews by Niverren

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you have been even remotely considering this product, go order it. Right now. It is that good.

Although I have strugged with mild acne since my early 20's, I recently began taking a medication that caused my face to go absolutely bonkers. Blackheads, whiteheads, cysts-- you name it, it showed up on my face, despite my high quality cleansing and treatment regimen. Unfortunately, as others have confessed, I am also a picker and cannot leave spots alone, digging and squeezing and otherwise torturing my skin into one big mess.

Many years ago, I used an overnight product by Clean & Clear that was a little rubbery patch treated with 2% sal acid. I knew those had been discontinued, but thought I might be able to find something similar, hence my search and discovery of this product. I was a bit skeptical when I found the Nexcare patches are unmedicated, but I was also somewhat hopeful as I remembered the old sal acid patches as often as not just irritated the problem rather than solving it.

I hopped on eBay and found these patches from a seller in Hong Kong (the ones I bought are the in the peachy/orange package and have both the large and small dots). The total came to $20 for 4 packs, so $5 each with free shipping. Each pack has 45 dots, so that's 180 dots total or just over 11 cents each.

Like I said, I was skeptical, but I began using these pretty much the moment I ripped open the mailer, and I was amazed by the results! As mentioned, I am having tons of skin problems due to a new medication, so I had all types of yucky stuff to work with. To be specific, I used one large patch on a cluster of 3 icky little whiteheads right in my laugh line, another large patch on a painful cyst on my chin, plus a bunch of small ones on gunky enlarged pores and random annoying little whiteheads (I know this is gross, but want to be specific).

This was during the day, so I was able to monitor the results as time progressed, and I couldn't believe how quickly grossness started to appear on the patches (you can see vileness being sucked out without having to take the patch off). This made perfect sense because all of my spots relating to this medication have seemed to fill up several times with pus (wow, it's making me feel kind of sick to write this). Anyway, I removed the patches after about 4 hours and couldn't believe all the disgusting matter they had sucked out. The corresponding areas of skin were much less inflamed and swollen, and the pain in the cyst had significantly decreased. I washed in the evening as usual, applied serum and moisturizer, gave it about an hour to soak in completely, and then applied another round of dots before bed. In the morning, I could barely tell anything had been wrong. There were still some small marks, but barely noticeable.

Now, this is pretty astounding to me as I have sensitive skin that usually freaks out over any little bit of trauma. Not only did these patches NOT irritate it, they actually calmed down the irritation created by my own poor habits. They have quite literally given me back my skin and allowed me to treat the issues without making the problem worse. I guess the only downside is that they are addictive, because knowing how well they work makes me want to put them on every tiny flaw. But I also tie a lot of my self-esteem to what my face looks like, so in essence I am paying to feel good about myself, and it's hard to put a price on that. :-)

Seriously, give them a shot. I think you'll be happy you did.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ordered one to try out. Went through it very quickly. When you have 3-5 active pimples night after night this'll last you 2 weeks max. I was getting giant painful zits on the face for awhile. I know you're not supposed to pop them so I just put these little patches on once I saw a head. Thankfully my skin has cleared up quite a bit. I have 1 or 2 that tends to linger a little longer. These always seem to help open the pore and clear out the gunk in it. I even wear this during the day sometimes. It is noticeable but I'd rather have a patch on my face for the day than I big raging pimple that looks ready to burst. Most spots take 2 treatments to completely disappear. I've already repurchased 2 new packs.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by crissy42o

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

These things are hit and miss for me. Sometimes they work really well and bring down the inflammation in a cystic pimple within a few hours. Sometimes they suck gunk out of whiteheads. Other times they do nothing. Once I had an allergic reaction and ended up with a lump the size of a dime. I ordered a different type of them on eBay (same brand), and I'm hoping to have better luck with them. We'll see!