September 20, 2014 | 1906 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts in 35 Ebony Mocha (Brown/Black)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by Rachel1234

Ebony Mocha is a very, very dark brown/black color - as close to black as you can get without actually being black. It has very subtle warm golden undertones which give it a natural looking quality that you cannot possibly achieve with straight black hair dye. The undertones are VERY subtle though ... you only see them in sunlight, or sometimes in certain indoor lighting if you look at just the right angle. Otherwise it looks like a soft, warm almost-black color.

I think it's gorgeous! It's so striking, yet not at all harsh. Just deep, warm and mysterious. It leaves my hair feeling softer and healthier after I color than it was before. Very silky and shiny. I find it takes about 4 weeks to gradually wash out. I color once a month, and I find this color consistantly provides a beautiful color. Covers grey well for me, but I only have a little bit of grey. I leave it on longer than the 10 minutes they recommend in the instructions ... I usually leave it on for about 17-18 minutes before rinsing. Then I rinse really, really well. Also, I always condition with the clairol conditioner they provide, and rinse really, really well again. Afterwards, during the rest of the month, I use Nexxus Assure Color Care shampoo and conditioner. I don't know if any of those things adds to the longevity of the color, but it's what I do, and I get a solid month between colorings. I am very happy with this color, and will continue to use Ebony Mocha as long as they make it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2013 1:49:00 AM More reviews by realmakeovers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts for many years. I LOVE it a lot!! I used to use #28 Nutmeg or #32 Egyptian Plum. My natural hair color is dark brown so, I wanted a color closer to my natural hair color. I couldn't find any color that was dark brown with some red in it. I called the Clairol toll-free # and the rep suggested I mix 2 different colors. The first time I mixed 1/2 of #35 Ebony Mocha & 1/2 #28 Nutmeg. It was nice but, I still wanted it darker. So, the next time I mixed 75 percent of #35 & 25 percent of #28. I definitely will continue using Natural Instincts because it is gentle on my hair. I always buy it when Walgreens or CVS has a sale. Plus, I usually combine the purchase with a coupon. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by selkie67

I bought this shade because I have very dark hair that is not quite a true black. I was afraid that pure black was getting a little harsh on me. Unfortunately this shade lightens rapidly to a medium/light brown, which was even more noticeable than my white roots. It gave the rest of my hair a dull-brown cast. It doesn't last either. I know it's a demipermanent shade and you can't expect it to last very long, but it lasted barely 2.5 weeks. I definitely did not wash my hair 28 times; more like 5 (I have very dry hair and don't wash it every day.) Will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

Love this, but only complaint was that my chin length hair is so thick, I should have used 1 1/2 boxes instead of just one. I don't think it evenly saturated at the tips! For root touch up, one box ought to do me

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by thewidowpicard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This color is as close to black without actually being black. Perfect. Shiny, healthy hair. Natural Instincts as always lasts a long time too.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Eliana78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this hair dye color. My natural color is a very dark reddish brown but I've dyed my hair for years either very dark neutral brown or jet black. So for me this color is perfect. I have naturally curly hair so color damage to my curls is a big concern for me. With this product I noticed absolutely no limp results to my curls and no straw like feeling either. The only difference when I am finished is that my curls look like a very rich deep dark brown/black color but they look, feel, and act exactly as they did before the dye. That is a BIG plus for me! For me, as this color washes out it fades into a very interesting medium brown color that isn't bad at all. My main objective is coloring the few stray gray hairs that I have at my hair line. And this works like a charm. I like that it has no ammonia and seemingly just enough peroxide to do the trick without leaving me with hair that looks and feels as dry as a haystack.This color lasts in my hair with about a month of washings. I do not use the conditioner that comes with this dye because it contains silicones as I don't use conditioners that contain silicones. So even without the use of cones and using a sulfate free shampoo and silicone free natural conditioner I get a month's wear out of the color and I'm very pleased with the results. The color is just beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by emgb

This color is amazing! I'm even a little sad to read in other reviews that it develops into more of a dark brown as you wash it. I knew that would be the case since it is semi-permanent, but I had no idea I would love the shade it is right after coloring this much. :) But it will help for it to be toned down as time goes on. On first glance it's ink black, at another angle a shiny brown with black undertones and in sunlight, a deep brown with a hint of gold tones. It's kinda crazy but very pretty! It's the most severe, dark color I've ever tried and I definitely love it. I agree with the other person who wishes there was more product included. It's a pretty meager amount of dye and developer. The conditioner is a good size, but I did need two boxes to cover all of my hair, and my hair is only shoulder-length. Otherwise, I love this formula!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by amaiaisabella

Beautiful, beautiful color. I left this on a little longer than I should have, almost 20 minutes, so it was practically ink black at first. A few good washings later, and it's right where I want it to be: a deep chocolate brown, black in some lights, with a bit of reddish tint that is probably from my previous light brown red color. I had to use two boxes to cover all my hair, and it's pretty fine and only to my armpits, so that's a negative. I would definitely recommend more product in the package. Try to wait for a coupon and it's not so bad a price. Would purchase again should it fade too much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Tina68

I get my hair coloured professionally, but I had some grey coming in and couldn't get into see my stylist so I picked this up at the drugstore to try. The colour is pretty bang on to what I get at the salon. Lots of shine and my hair feels soft and looks healthy. The instructions are clear and consise and the gloves are pretty good too. It says to apply to damp hair, my hair was dry. It's easier for me to see the grey on dry hair. Processing time is about 20 minutes, I left it on longer. Most of the grey is coloured, but I can still see some whites that have a brownish cast to them and aren't fully coloured. No big deal. This will get me through to my next appointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by weddingdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was so skeptical on trying these semi permz, but I'm so glad I did! The gal on the box looks like Kim Kardashian and the color you get actually matches up to the model on the box, which rarely happens. I absolutely LOVE this hair color. I bought like 10 boxes because not all stores carry this shade. I hope they never discontinue because with my luck, everything I love gets discontinued. This shade is a perfect DARK DARK brown shade with a hint of golden undertone.

The negatives, well I can't think of any, except it washes out a little faster than the other shades. I used nutmeg before this, but I love the RICH color pay off that ebony mocha gives! I will repurchase over and over! My hair has never been SO healthy. I can't rave enough about this product.