November 23, 2014 | 1937 users online

Bronzers - Yves Saint Laurent - Poudre de Soleil #1

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by dutchesskt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I switched to this bronzer from the NARS Laguna one, and I simply LOVE it. I use the #1 shade, and find it to be perfect for my fair skin tone. I use it everyday and the color is very buildable in my opinion without looking fake. There is a slight shimmer, but nothing that I can see on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2012 9:57:00 AM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Perfect, natural, warming colour on my fair skin (NC20 ish, no darker). No nasty orange undertones, big clumps of glitter or Housewives of the OC fakeness. So big ticks there. Also an SPF of 15, a 24 month use by & 10g of product mean it offers reasonable value for money for the high end brand name - 33 (approx $52).

It is incredibly subtle on me though (which is what I look for in a bronzer), so if you are looking for that Baywatch glow, you won't find it here, not in 01 anyway.

What is disappointing is the packaging quality. I like the big pan & the generous mirror, but the compact itself feels too light and flimsy and like other reviews, I'm not convinced that the hinges will stand up to handbag bumps. I expect a better standard for the money spent, hence the lost lippie.

As for the lack of brush, I'm not fussed about that. Brushes included in compacts are nearly always useless anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by clink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:
Light weight and slim, easy to carry in pouch.
Healthy color goes on smoothly, did not settle in pores or lines.
Did not make my medium asian skin look too bronzed or fake.

Cons:
Flimsy packaging.
No brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by CAZUAE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Despite recent expensive failures I was still determined to find the perfect bronzer for me... it's an addiction, what can I say? 8-) So, off I go AGAIN to the Guerlain counter (having bought Sun&Blush last week which I HATED - way too much glitter) to see if the classic bronzer would work for me. Usually I buy on impulse and don't take more than 5 mins to make my decision but having learned the expensive way that this approach hasn't been very effective... /:) I decided to a) take my time and not be rushed by pushy sales people b) actually try the damn stuff on my face instead of my arm/hand c) look at other brands than Guerlain (I mean I really fell for all the hype about it being THE best bronzer around) and d) go check out the results in different lighting areas of other stores .... and I think it's paid off!

Having looked at every single Guerlain bronzer, including the one for men! (how desperate is that?!) and various other brands I then went over to the YSL counter and could tell almost straight away that the Poudre de Soleil in 01 was for me. Even in the compact I could see that the texture looked almost moisturising and with VERY LITTLE glitter! On my face it is absolutely gorgeous. It really does seem to glow from my skin and is incredibly comfortable, not in the least drying (I have dry sensitive skin hence my difficulties finding a bronzer to suit). My other problem is open pores around my nose, bronzers really do like to take up residence there! Anyways, I tried it on and went into the harshest lighting I could find (TopShop - you really need to sort those changing rooms out!)... it looked fab (well as fab as anything can look in harsh neon lighting at 44 yrs old.. 8-)) ... so, racing back to Areej in case someone had snapped up the 01 in the 15 mins I had been away I paid my very reasonable Dhs185 / USD 50 and left the store with a big smile and a great tan.. 8-)

The cherry on the top is that this bronzer actually has an SPF of 10!

Packaging wise it is nothing special and whilst it does have a mirror, there is no brush. Although I have just bought the highly rated (and highly expensive) MAC face brush (187) so don't really care about that. It is also seems quite cheaply made and I wouldn't be surprised if the hinge fell off... although having now found what I hope will continue to be the perfect bronzer for me, I wouldn't really care about that either! Women, what are we like?!

I would definitely buy this product again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fab bronzer which doesn't settle into pores, gives you a seriously ethereal glow and frankly is on the cheap side vs other high end brands. For more mature skins I think this is much better than Guerlain!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2008 7:57:00 AM More reviews by wonderbuy

The thing with bronzers is that the colour has to be right first and foremost, even if there are better formulations out there. This colour is designed for those with yellow undertones, either light Asians or olive complexions. Those with yellow undertones should avoid bronzers that have too much yellow and this is the perfect bronzer as it is actually pink based. This works great as a blush and gives the perfect bronze-pink look. It brightens the complexions and has good lasting power. There are however, only 3 colours in the range, so if the colour is right for you, this is a real winner.

As for the formulation, this is superior to Guerlain's bronzer for a number of reasons:
- it is more finely milled and more refined. You can tell by just looking at the way the testers wear down. This one is even and smooth whereas Guerlain's is rougher. This makes a huge difference on complexions that are already smooth.

- the light reflective particles are smaller. Guerlain's is definitely more noticeable.

Not much can be said for the packaging. The palette is too small and the hinge breaks off easily. Guerlain's packaging is a lot more durable and more practical.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No