TheBalm Stainiac in Beauty Queen

3.8

on 1/10/2015 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I like this stain but it's only good for cheeks, I used it on my lips several times and it dries my them out immediately! The color is nice and the staying power is good for cheeks. Wish it wasn't SO drying on the lips. Packaging very nice! unlike bentint you don't feel like it's going to spill at any moment..

on 11/2/2014 1:59:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The stain itself was a bit finicky, but mostly it was the just wrong color for my skin (it's very cool berry and my lips look better with some warmth). I gave my to a friend who really likes it! I also only ever used it on the lips.

Pros:
* even, pigmented stain
* buildable color
* easy to apply
* decent wear time (a few hours)

Cons:
* stained my bottom lip a darker color than the top (confusing!)
* need to dry with mouth open or it will settle between lips
* more purpley than I was expecting

on 7/8/2014 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this to only use as a blush. I saw this on a popular You Tuber and it looked like something I would use. It didn't last as long as I thought it would and it wasn't that user friendly. I also didn't like the applicator. I would have preferred a tube. I will not repurchase.

on 11/7/2013 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got a cute teeny little sample of this in my Birchbox, and I've already bought a full size. This gives a little color to my lips that seems to brighten up my face, while still being very natural looking. It does feel a bit drying to me, so I just apply a lip balm on top throughout the day. It lasts crazy-long on me, basically all day, which is much longer than any lip stain I've tried does. Love this!

Received this in my birchbox. I love the look but the gel stays on my fingers more than my cheeks. If you just put on powder it creates a muddy look. The taste is bitter and looks cheap on lips. I would try benefit benetint if you are looking for a cheek stain.

on 10/20/2013 3:01:00 AM

well I wanted to like this. The color doesn't last at all. It tastes horrible also. I love the color but it just doesn't last like it should being it's a stain. I haven't used it on my cheeks though, seems like it'd be gross on skin.

on 10/19/2013 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a very nice, sheer red lip/cheek stain. I've only used it on my lips, so IDK how well it works as a cheek stain (I've never used a cheek stain).

The formula is a gel & is buildable. One coat will give your lips a nice, natural flush. If you use at least two coats, it gives your lips the look of "I just ate a red popsicle"...a very "summertime" look. (Let dry between coats)
I had to put a clear balm over this because it dries to a matte finish & is not moisturizing at all.

Also, make sure your lips are exfoliated before you use this. Your lips have to be in tip-top condition or it will show every little flake or dry spot.
It does have excellent staying power, even with a lip balm on top! I've eaten a donut, drank a cup of coffee, & a water & this was still on my lips. A+ for that!

That said, I won't be using this during the fall & winter months. IMO, this is more of a summertime product, when many ladies simplify their makeup routine, whether it's due to heat/humidity, kids being home from school, or having a summer tan, or all of the above! It just seems like most women I know tend to go more natural with their makeup routine during the summer months (probably because it gets so hot & humid here, your makeup will melt off within two hours, so why bother, lol)

on 10/15/2013 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Gave me the perfect flush on my cheeks. Super easy to apply. Love the color on my lips as well, but you need a balm or moisturizer because it's drying. However, I really love this product and will purchase again.

on 11/11/2012 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is a pretty popular product and im not really sure why. I personally am not a big fan of regular lip stains because they tend to be veeery drying and for some reason only choose to tint certain areas on my lips (usually the outer parts) so it leaves me looking like I have some kind of discoloration/desease to them which isnt very attractive :/ especially if your lips get too dry then it'll seep into the lines of your lips. yuck.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

theBalm's Stainiac is a gel tint for cheeks and lips. Three shades are available, I have Beauty Queen, described by theBalm as a sheer berry pink. This shade is considered to be a dupe of Benefit's BeneTint. theBalm is a San Francisco based, vintage themed brand known for it's high quality products with suggestive, sexy, or quirky names. I got this cheek and lip tint in a swap from my friend Mariah who got it in a Birchbox a couple months ago. I'm so glad that she sent me this product because I was really jealous of everyone know got it in their Birchbox. The full size of this product contains .3fl oz for $17. I have a .04fl oz deluxe sample. As far as I know theBalm can only be bought online at the brand's website, and very frequently on Haute Look, but on the rare occasion you can find a few products at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. theBalm is a cruelty free brand. This product was made in the USA.
theBalm's Stainiac comes packaged like a lip gloss. A clear plastic tube with a grey plastic cap. The name of the product is written on the front of the tube in grey lettering. Some company info and a short warning can be found on the back. Stainiac has a doe foot application that makes applying this product to the lips very convenient, but not so much on the cheeks. Some may not be comfortable using the doe foot applicator on both the face and lips due to potential contamination. I don't really care, mainly because this is a sample size.
Application for the lips is no different from any gloss, so I won't explain. For the cheeks, I dot the product on with the applicator, just two little dabs, then blend in with my fingers. This cheek tint is really blendable, in fact theBalm describes the formula as water based, saying that its "designed to give you more time before the stain sets" helping you avoid the "dreaded streaks that most tints leaves behind". Oh yes, those streaks. They plague my less than smooth cheeks. This tint is in fact streak free. I'm pretty sure that's miraculous.
While I greatly appreciate the longer dry time on the cheeks, it's really, really annoying on the lips. Beauty Queen is really sticky and uncomfortable on the lips. Then it dries down...and dries out, for extra discomfort. All the downsides of a lip stain. At least it's comfortable, lightweight, and non drying on the cheeks. I get a fairly average two hours of wear from this lip stain, and a full days worth of color as a cheek stain.
Beauty Queen is a very sheer berry toned pinkish red. Very Sheer. It looks good on my already pigmented lips, but on my naturally flushed pink cheeks it barely shows up at all. I can detect a slight tint, but no real color payoff. I guess that's great if I'm going for a very natural look, but I'd really prefer it to show up more. I feel like it's a little pointless to apply it if it's nearly the exact same color as my perpetually rosy cheeks. So is Beauty Queen a dupe for the much more expensive Benetint? No. They're similar, but Beauty Queen is is cooler, pinker, and believe it or not, more pigmented than Benetint, at least from what I can see in swatches. I haven't tried Benetint aside from swatching it at Sephora.
I like theBalm's Stainiac in Beauty Queen but it's not working out for me quite as well as I had hoped. Its a good product, but just a little..unbalanced? The texture is good for cheeks but not lips. Pigmentation is better suited for lips not cheeks. See what I mean? It just isn't quite there, a problem that many multi-use products suffer from. Lasting power is decent across the board though. I wouldn't purchase a full size tube of theBalm's Stainiac in Beauty Queen, but I'm really glad I got a chance to try it, my curiosity never would've been satisfied otherwise. This product is probably better suited to those with less pigmented lips and cheeks.

Top Rated TheBalm Products