October 22, 2014 | 1233 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens Maximum Strength Benzoyl Peroxide Gel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by cooed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a staple in my skincare treatment and I travel across the border to get it. 10% BP is a prescription in Canada, so it's just easier to buy a whole bunch over the counter in the US all at once and bring them back home.

I was looking for a good cream/gel that would dry without leaving flaky white residue on my skin (often hard to find with a BP this high) which is hard to then moisturize over. After a lengthy search, I found this to be the best product.

I feel for most people this would be a very drying product. To me, however, my skin needs this drying effect, particularly in the summer when I am horrendously oily. I have acne-prone, extremely oily skin and the extra drying effect is necessary for my skincare routine. If you have acne-prone, dry skin, I would recommend a BP of only 2.5%.

So this may not be a product for everyone, but if you have acne-prone, oily skin, it might be worth trying it. Forewarning: BP acts like a bleach on clothes/towels/textiles. I needed to buy white towels and wait for it to be fully absorbed so that I was not bleaching things. The bleaching of BP is worse for products that flake, mind you, so this is not a significant problem with this product so long as you give it time to dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by lizmarrodz

This products works really well. I have oily skin and sometimes get bad breakouts that won't respond to silacylic acid, so I went crazy looking for something that does the job. This product works really fast, I had some acne and over night they were noticeably less red. The only down side is that it dries my skin and sometimes make it itchy because of the dryness it gives me. Nothing moisturizers can't fix! I will definitely buy this again

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2012 12:49:00 PM More reviews by hgpt2

HG! Ever since I started doing mandelic/salicylic peels, my skin no longer responds to 2% salicylic acid which is present in most acne medications. I was at Walgreens and noticed this. So I immediately picked it up. At $3.99 it was a steal! And I didn't notice any grainy texture like other reviewers have said, maybe because this is a new batch? But anyways, this is a great gel. It will dry you out, so I use it only as a spot treatment on my acne. By next morning, they are all gone. IF you experience huge red zits during your monthly cycles, this is the right product! Apply it overnight with a Q-tip and by next morning, the redness and size of the zit is significantly reduced. Great product...must try!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 9:13:00 PM More reviews by cmars29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this last night, I have been battling some break out lately and when I felt two cystic zits brewing I remembered using BP in the past and ran out to Walgreens. It was on sale for $2.99, I actually wanted something around 1% or 5% but for the price I though what the hell. When I first squeezed some of the product out some water came out, I just closed the tube and shook it up a bit...no biggie. I did notice the grainy texture but don't really mind it, although I think the package is a bit deceiving; I expected it to be a gel kinda like toothpaste but it's watery. Anyways, I slathered the stuff on my problem areas, I gave it plenty of time to dry and sink in before moisturizing. The next morning my zits are less than 50% of what they were the previous day. This will be a staple product for me! I have only used it one day so I'm not sure how drying it is but with all BP type products I slather moisturized as a precaution.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by volshorn08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

They have changed the packaging and consistency of this product. I used the version that was thin, grainy, and pretty much a pain to use (for me anyway). That being said, it worked really well so I kept using it. I bought a new one bc the one I had expired and noticed the new outer package. The tube is easier to work with as the opening is smaller. The product doesn't run out all over the place. The consistency is more gel like, and is consistent throughout instead of being watery and grainy. It's easy to rub it in and it doesn't interfere with any of my other products. The price I paid was $3.49. I think it's on sale this week. I like this version better!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2010 4:40:00 AM More reviews by singalong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I heart the price it's so cheap! This my fav spot treatment but it can be a bit over drying. So I apply it only once a day right before I go to sleep.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2010 3:14:00 PM More reviews by l8erg8er

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried the Kroger brand, Walmart Equate, Clean and Clear, Zapzit, and Oxy 10% benzoyl peroxide creams, and this is my favorite. Why? It's grainy. It's thin. It sounds exactly like what you don't want in a gel. But it is perfect for me.

Because the formula is water based, it spreads evenly and quicky across my face without balling up. I find that I need less to cover up my breakouts, and I don't get the same sticky, streaky effect that I get from other gels/creams. I also really like the gritty texture because it gently exfoliates as you apply. Don't worry about the stray grains, however --- they disappear (probably fall off) as it dries. This is definitely my favorite acne gel. It works well at keeping my face smooth and oil-free, but doesn't burn like some others.

The only other benzoyl peroxide product I like is Proactiv, but the Walgreens brand is more concentrated, fast-acting, and waayy cheaper. Pick it up if you need a quality zit zapper!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2009 1:36:00 PM More reviews by rilokiley1289

Like the other user said, it's pretty grainy. And I also think the packaging is a little off, it gives too much at once, but overall, I think this is a great product for being less than $5. It works pretty well with redness and size. I'd buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 9:55:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Usually I give back story first and all that, but I need to be straight foward with this one.
Cons: watery, grainy, long time to dry.
Pros: first ingredient is water, nothing pore clogging involved, it's 2.99, it's simple, packaging is fine.

I like this better than clean and clear because it actually helps breakouts over night. Clean and clear just sat on my skin and often times it'd be worse, especially on an "open" pore. Yes this runs all over the place and it's grainy, but it's better and because it's so thin you can literally put it all over your face. It doesn't dry me out at all. I love products that have water as the first ingredient, especially for my face. The ingredients are similiar but some different, and different amounts.
Think of it like this. It's benzoyl peroxide delivered by H2O. It's simple, but effective. Kinda like the asprin mask if you've made it, just pure zit fighter and water.
You have nothing at all to lose. I happen to love it. Walgreens brand is just really superior. Go figure!
If you hate it, I'm sure you can mix it with a moisturizer or something, it's thin enough to work.