November 23, 2014 | 1115 users online

Fragrances - LaLique - Eau de Lalique

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 5:59:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm with the first reviewer, Eau de Lalique is a gorgeous (slightly) masculine aromatic citrus and vetiver styled cologne that fascinating that is a bit of a let down and I think I know why. The top notes smell fresh, aromatic, with an green tinged orange peel opening and an elegant subtle woody drydown. This could be truly unisex at this point and is more elegant, light and clean than Bulgari Eau The Vert as it skips the cloying musk.

But where it fails is that baby powder drydown. Its no longer unisex and brings nuances of cheap roll-on deodorant. Perhaps this was popular in the past but I've noticed most Lalique womens fragrances seem to have that same strong powdery baby ending which is a real turn off (I've tried 6 so far).

Notes from Fragantica:

Top Notes - mandarin, pimento, bergamot, dill, cardamom, lemon
Heart Notes - cinnamon, hibiscus, freesia
Base Notes - sandalwood, musk, benzoin, guaiac wood

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2008 6:50:00 PM More reviews by TrizyDLuX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like this light citrussy cologne. I swear I smell vetiver in the drydown, but that note is not listed in the Basenotes.net notes listing. What IS listed:

Top Notes: Mandarin, Cardamom, Citron, Bergamot, Dill; Middle Notes: Freesia, Hibiscus, Cinnamon; Base Notes: Amyris Wood, Sandalwood, Benzoin, White Musk, Guaiac wood.

I did smell the freesia, and I do not love that note, but it was fleeting. The overall impression is of fresh citrus and vietiver to my nose. It would be really lovely on a very hot day. I wish it were summer right now.

EDITED: I applied more to see whether I could smell the vetiver note more clearly, and this second helping amped up the freesia to the point where I couldn't smell anything else. Eventually the herbal/citrus/vetiver qualities re-emerged, but bah... I cant wade through a field of freesia to get there. Overall, this scent cold have been great, but missed the mark.