Meow Cosmetics Purrrfect Puss Mineral Foundation

4.3

Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

This is the only mineral foundation I will use, and for many years (around 10) it's been the only foundation I've used, and I've tried a lot of mineral, liquid and cream foundations. I was first introduced to mineral foundation when I had very oily skin and bad acne. I wish it had been around and popular when I was a teenager, because my acne was horrible. Mineral foundation, and especially this product, changed my life. I started using bare minerals and loved how it didn't have any petrochemicals in it (as I am allergic to them) and worked much better with my oily skin and really helped to clear my bad acne in a way that even prescription treatments from the dermatologist didn't; but I didn't like how sheer it was so if you wanted better coverage you had to really take some time with it. I also didn't like how it was so expensive for something that isn't the quality it was originally. Recently my skin has changed to extremely dry and super flaky and every so often I get really bad eczema that's primarily concentrated on my face, and I still use this product, although I am searching for something moisturizing that doesn't cling to dry flakes of skin. After using up my bare minerals, I started using meow cosmetics because I wasn't happy with the lack of good coverage, the high price, and the comparatively low quality ingredients. I really didn't like when I realized that their mineral veil is almost 100% corn starch, although the ingredients use the alternate name, zea mays, to keep most people from noticing. I looked for alternative mineral foundations in stores, but at that time mineral foundation was a newer product and most people had never heard of it, so I took my search online. After comparing many mineral foundation companies in terms of coverage, ingredients, price, and shade options. I decided to order some samples from meow cosmetics. The samples are very cheap, which is great because you don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg to find out what shade you need, but I wish they were packaged better as it's tough to get the samples on your brush in the tiny Ziploc bags. You either use an eyeshadow brush to see what color you need and then put the contents in with your full size container or dump the entire bag out onto a paper bowl or something and then have it sitting out where it could easily spill or just throw the whole thing away. It might be a good idea to purchase a small container for it, but that increases the price I was really impressed with not only being able to order full coverage foundation, but also mineral concealer, and if course the rest of their products are great too. I ended up using a liquid concealer for under my eyes, where I have probably the worst black circles ever because my skin looked really dry and kind of wrinkly with the powder concealer in the eye area, but I was so happy with the full coverage foundation that I barely needed either type of concealer for anything else, and I had bad acne and dark acne scars. I haven't found a liquid foundation I like despite trying many different brands and types because they really cling to and enhance dry patches. Even after exfoliating and using very heavy duty moisturizers, I still frequently have dry flakes. So until I find my next foundation love, this continues to be my holy grail. I use it in conjunction with moisturizers, moisturizing serum, a moisturizing primer and my concealer from amazing cosmetics, and sometimes a setting spray. I also like how this foundation looks when set using a setting spray or moisturizing water as it takes it from looking matte and airbrushed to your skin but way better. It really looks like you just have flawless skin. I recommend this to everyone looking for a foundation to use with oily/acne-prone skin or just something without all the chemicals in it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sigh. What a disappointment.
If you have perfect, flawless skin, this might work, otherwise, steer clear.
It highlights every single imperfection - Every little peach fuzz hair, every dry spot, every dark spot, every pimple. It's super dry, creates flakes and lines, looks incredibly powdery, and has bad coverage. Yeah it's buildable, but the more layers you apply, the worse your skin looks.
I guess I'll be sticking to Alima. It's more expensive, but the quality is so much better!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the lightest neutral shade is much too dark for us very fair ladies. Again. Sigh.

Worst online company I have had to deal with EVER!
Placed a large order on this website. They sent me the order after 3 weeks of waiting. One of the items I ordered was defective and not as described. I let them know sent them 4 emails and heard back from them about 2 weeks later. Their response was that they couldn't care less. They told me that they couldn't accept the item back. Thankfully I paid with PayPal. Filed a dispute and PayPal helped me get my money back and get the defective item back to them. I got an email from them telling me they are going to send me to collections now which is ridiculous and that they are going to cancel any future or present orders from me, my IP address or my mailing address as they don't want to sell anymore products to me because of this. Well they don't have to worry I won't ever be purchasing any products from them ever again or let alone recommend them. I don't usually tend to leave reviews, but I just had to write this because I wish I would have know how little this company cares about their customers and how bad their customer support is. Please beware and stay away! Trust me their are far better companies out there with better makeup/beauty products that actually care for their customers.

NEVER purchasing from them again.
They sent the wrong item (mislabeled), and it has been over half a month and I have still not received the corrected item. Maggie in customer service cares nothing about her customers. If the order is correct, the product itself is great. But BEWARE of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I had seen alot of good reviews about this foundation and decided to try it out. I was disappointed that it didn't provide more coverage,it's a sheer to light coverage. It does give my skin a healthy glow but I like the coverage of BE better plus u get the glow from BE also. I did try meows concealers too and I do like them,they are great for the undereye to cover and brighten. I'd definitely buy the concealers again.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Meow Cosmetics claims "Purrr-fect Puss foundation is our original sheer, matte, layerable-coverage mineral foundation utilizing the latest light refraction pigments for a youthful dewy appearance. [...] Need more coverage? Purrr-fect Puss also offers excellent heavier coverage to problem areas when applied wet with a brush, and blended out."

I did find this product sheer and layerable. However, some of the description is contradictory because it is not both "matte" and "dewy" at the same time. I find it gives a skin-like finish on my dehydrated-to-normal skin (although I do have to use moisturizer right beforehand or it is somewhat drying), which actually is neither matte nor dewy. What I think they are referring to, however, is the slight shimmer that is visible in direct sunlight when the product is swatched on the arm. When applied to my face, I don't notice the shimmer and I believe it provides a slight luminosity to the product which makes it appear more skin-like. After all, moisturized skin is not completely matte and does have a slight luminosity to it.

I did not find that this product could be used wet for more coverage. I tried applying the product wet with a damp flat top kabuki and it appeared very streaky. I tried with my beautyblender, and while it did not appear streaky it did not offer any more coverage. I do not find this product as versatile as the description led me to believe.

However, I overall still like the Purrr-fect Puss formula since it melds easily with my dehydrated-normal skin when I apply extra moisturizer, gives me light coverage, and is lightweight enough that I don't feel like I have anything on my face. If you're looking for those qualities in a foundation, then this may be a good option.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really wanted to love this foundation. It's very finely milled, very soft, beautifully matte. However it is incredibly drying. I cannot use this makeup without feeling like the Sahara and looking like parchment paper. It doesn't seem to matter how much oil or moisturiser I use - the minerals just seems to soak it all up. And I don't even have dry skin, it's fairly normal. It's incredibly uncomfortable and looks chalky. Coverage is a little more than light but not as much as medium. It could probably be layered but not on me due to the drying factor. Colour range is great except there is a huge different between the frisky and naughty depths. Samples are necessary. When applied with a flat top brush, this foundation stays on very well over an 8 hour period. One touch up is usually needed early on in the piece but then for some reason after that it will last all day. I have found this makeup works best without a separate finisher. Rather, a light press of the foundation itself over the top keeps it on all day. It tends to look a little powdery or chalky at first and then within a couple of hours it has melded into the skin and gives a beautiful matte second skin type appearance. If it wasn't for it being so drying, I would totally love this product. It is definitely a great quality foundation and superior to most, if not all, mineral makeup on the market. I have used this foundation a few years ago when my skin was a bit on the oily side and it was amazing and I don't remember it ever feeling dry. I think this makeup would be best for oily skin and would definitely not recommend it for dry skin. I will try it again in the summer or if my skin gets oily again.

I love this foundation. I have sensitive skin with rosacea and am neither warm nor cool. MAC matched me as NC20. In Meow I use Frisky Chartreaux in the winter and Naughty Chartreaux in the summer. My zinc oxide in the Pampered Puss version calms my skin and helps with redness. This outdoes JI, TM, and all the others IMHO. I couldn't be happier!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is the best mineral makeup I have ever used. My skin has been through a lot. I have red scarring, some acne, pockmarks...Just blech. And this stuff makes me look naturally beautiful. You don't feel like you're wearing a mask like liquid foundation. It gives great coverage and makes you look like you're glowing, not shimmering. I am Naughty Korat but I use Fierce Korat over the top like a light bronzer. I wish you guys really understood how much I love this product. LOVE. If you have some skin issues, is recommend this. Also, I got drunk a couple of nights and slept with this makeup on and nooooo breakouts the next day. Love it. I will probably buy this forever.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I went through my reviews and discovered to my horror that I hadn't reviewed my absolute favourite foundation!

SHADES and MY SKIN:
I am very pale with slight yellow undertones (BEHOLD, other brands, one must NOT be pink because they are pale!) I am about NC10, I know that doesn't exist in MAC foundations, but NW10 does and it seems to work. My skin behaves better than ever and I only have occasional pimples and redness. My skin type is quite normal, not particularly oily, but a little dry on the cheeks.

I am most certainly impressed with Meow Cosmetics shade range. I bought this in the shade 1-Sleek Manx. I had never really found a spot on match in foundations before I met this foundation! (I have now also discovered that MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 Alabaster works, and NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is good as well, just a bit too yellow and a tiny bit too dark. I have also tried all Shiseido foundations and their shade O00 is a good match for me.

Dark shades seem impossible to find, because of racism in the beauty industry, and pale shades (like my skin) are very hard to find because it's not very common to be so pale. Most brands choose to cater to the "most common" skin tones - in other words, the middle of the spectrum.

Meow Cosmetics shade range is huge, 86 shades. The shade I got is 1-Sleek Manx. Here I explain how it works:

Lightness/darkness:
0 Inquisitive - Very very light
1 Sleek - Very light (THIS IS THE ONE I GOT)
2 Frisky - Light

Chausie - cool pink
Himalayan - warm pink
Persian - peach
Chartreux - peach/yellow
Manx - yellow/peach (THIS IS THE ONE I GOT)
Angora - yellow
Korat - golden yellow
Abyssinian - beige/yellow
Ocicat - olive

Looking at my samples, Mau is noticeably pink and darker than the other shades. Siamese is also noticeably pink but lighter than Mau. Abyssinian is yellow and a bit lighter than the other shades. Manx is also yellow but more yellow than Abyssinian.

So, my lightness is 1-Sleek and my undertone is Manx (yellow/peach), so the shade name is 1-Sleek Manx.

The undertone range is very confusing and a lot of the undertones are described in the same way, and honestly many of them look the same too. I ordered samples in all undertones - some were pink and some were yellow, but many of them were also almost identical and made no difference when put on the face. I recommend you to order samples in five different undertones - maybe Siamese, Chausie, Persian, Manx and Ocicat?

~

This is also a great choice if your skin is acne prone, since the ingredients are very gentle and it doesn't contain any irritants such as fragrance, bismuth or other stuff that they put in comedogenic foundations.

COVERAGE/FINISH:

Sheer to light to medium. You will not be able to cover angry zitz with this, though Meow Cosmetics sell concealers. I have tried them and they offer much more coverage than one would expect from a mineral concealer. The foundation also makes my pores look much smaller and makes my face look smoother overall, no other foundation has ever done that. Other foundations have just COVERED if you know what I mean. The finish is natural/matte and can look powdery if you are dry. My advice is to use a face mist or my technique, described below.

TECHNIQUE:
I use a kabuki brush when applying this, after moisturising. I don't use a primer with this foundation, as I don't feel any need at all. I spray water or a toner on the brush so it's damp, then I stipple my face with the foundation (I feel I get the most coverage that way), and when the brush is almost dry I buff. This way it looks more natural and not as powdery. You don't have to do that, but I recommend using a face mist afterwards, or just water.

LONGEVITY:
This lasts longer than I expected without a primer. I get shiny after about 5 hours, when I usually get shiny after 3 hours even when I use a primer and long lasting matte foundation and powder. I don't know why that is. Even if I don't powder after 5 hours this looks better than any other foundation, it doesn't look like it's melting off but looks natural.

PRICE/SIZE/PACKAGING:
They sell a huge jar of 3 oz for 29 dollars. Compare this to the horrible bismuth-filled BareMinerals foundation sold in 0.3 oz jars for 27 dollars. You do the math. Also, the lid is actually big enough so that you can fit your brush in it and swirl.

CONCLUSION:
Mineral foundations are much faster and easier to use than any other kind of foundation, and this is the best of all mineral (and other) foundations. It makes my skin look smoother, my pores look smaller, is good for acne-prone skin, is vegan and not tested on animals, very cheap, comes in 86 shades, cover what I want and have cute jars and names. I will never betray this. continued >>