July 28, 2014 | 1752 users online

Foundations - Meow Cosmetics - Purrrfect Puss Mineral Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by ViolettaAlexis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best mineral makeup I have ever used. My skin has been through a lot. I have red scarring, some acne, pockmarks...Just blech. And this stuff makes me look naturally beautiful. You don't feel like you're wearing a mask like liquid foundation. It gives great coverage and makes you look like you're glowing, not shimmering. I am Naughty Korat but I use Fierce Korat over the top like a light bronzer. I wish you guys really understood how much I love this product. LOVE. If you have some skin issues, is recommend this. Also, I got drunk a couple of nights and slept with this makeup on and nooooo breakouts the next day. Love it. I will probably buy this forever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 6:54:00 PM More reviews by paneradfisk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I went through my reviews and discovered to my horror that I hadn't reviewed my absolute favourite foundation!

SHADES and MY SKIN:
I am very pale with slight yellow undertones (BEHOLD, other brands, one must NOT be pink because they are pale!) I am about NC10, I know that doesn't exist in MAC foundations, but NW10 does and it seems to work. My skin behaves better than ever and I only have occasional pimples and redness. My skin type is quite normal, not particularly oily, but a little dry on the cheeks.

I am most certainly impressed with Meow Cosmetics shade range. I bought this in the shade 1-Sleek Manx. I had never really found a spot on match in foundations before I met this foundation! (I have now also discovered that MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 Alabaster works, and NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia is good as well, just a bit too yellow and a tiny bit too dark. I have also tried all Shiseido foundations and their shade O00 is a good match for me.

Dark shades seem impossible to find, because of racism in the beauty industry, and pale shades (like my skin) are very hard to find because it's not very common to be so pale. Most brands choose to cater to the "most common" skin tones - in other words, the middle of the spectrum.

Meow Cosmetics shade range is huge, 86 shades. The shade I got is 1-Sleek Manx. Here I explain how it works:

Lightness/darkness:
0 Inquisitive - Very very light
1 Sleek - Very light (THIS IS THE ONE I GOT)
2 Frisky - Light

Chausie - cool pink
Himalayan - warm pink
Persian - peach
Chartreux - peach/yellow
Manx - yellow/peach (THIS IS THE ONE I GOT)
Angora - yellow
Korat - golden yellow
Abyssinian - beige/yellow
Ocicat - olive

Looking at my samples, Mau is noticeably pink and darker than the other shades. Siamese is also noticeably pink but lighter than Mau. Abyssinian is yellow and a bit lighter than the other shades. Manx is also yellow but more yellow than Abyssinian.

So, my lightness is 1-Sleek and my undertone is Manx (yellow/peach), so the shade name is 1-Sleek Manx.

The undertone range is very confusing and a lot of the undertones are described in the same way, and honestly many of them look the same too. I ordered samples in all undertones - some were pink and some were yellow, but many of them were also almost identical and made no difference when put on the face. I recommend you to order samples in five different undertones - maybe Siamese, Chausie, Persian, Manx and Ocicat?

~

This is also a great choice if your skin is acne prone, since the ingredients are very gentle and it doesn't contain any irritants such as fragrance, bismuth or other stuff that they put in comedogenic foundations.

COVERAGE/FINISH:

Sheer to light to medium. You will not be able to cover angry zitz with this, though Meow Cosmetics sell concealers. I have tried them and they offer much more coverage than one would expect from a mineral concealer. The foundation also makes my pores look much smaller and makes my face look smoother overall, no other foundation has ever done that. Other foundations have just COVERED if you know what I mean. The finish is natural/matte and can look powdery if you are dry. My advice is to use a face mist or my technique, described below.

TECHNIQUE:
I use a kabuki brush when applying this, after moisturising. I don't use a primer with this foundation, as I don't feel any need at all. I spray water or a toner on the brush so it's damp, then I stipple my face with the foundation (I feel I get the most coverage that way), and when the brush is almost dry I buff. This way it looks more natural and not as powdery. You don't have to do that, but I recommend using a face mist afterwards, or just water.

LONGEVITY:
This lasts longer than I expected without a primer. I get shiny after about 5 hours, when I usually get shiny after 3 hours even when I use a primer and long lasting matte foundation and powder. I don't know why that is. Even if I don't powder after 5 hours this looks better than any other foundation, it doesn't look like it's melting off but looks natural.

PRICE/SIZE/PACKAGING:
They sell a huge jar of 3 oz for 29 dollars. Compare this to the horrible bismuth-filled BareMinerals foundation sold in 0.3 oz jars for 27 dollars. You do the math. Also, the lid is actually big enough so that you can fit your brush in it and swirl.

CONCLUSION:
Mineral foundations are much faster and easier to use than any other kind of foundation, and this is the best of all mineral (and other) foundations. It makes my skin look smoother, my pores look smaller, is good for acne-prone skin, is vegan and not tested on animals, very cheap, comes in 86 shades, cover what I want and have cute jars and names. I will never betray this. continued >>

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by chellio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Meow Cosmetics is the only loose powder foundation I haven't hated! It actually stays on my face, and after I figured out my shade (Frisky Manx for this pale yellow-toned girl), I immediately ordered the full size. It actually stays on my face, and the melt is super nice. It's like my skin but better, all the way.

My only gripe is that I do wish the coverage could be a liiiittle heavier on this, but luckily there is a higher-coverage foundation available from Meow which I just received samples for. So we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and I have very oily skin. Jane Iredale and Bareminerals cause my skin to become oilier and gross, but this does not do that. It doesn't control oil exactly, but I don't turn into an oil slick with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been an Everyday Minerals fan for years. But I read about Meow and decided to give it a try.

First, the whole concept of Meow is either something you love or you hate. They are an indie brand and obviously they don't have a ton of money for website design or advertising. They say they offer inexpensive $1 samples, but guess what? You need to spend a minimum $10 on your order and then $4.35 shipping. So you spend a minimum of $14.35 on SAMPLES. I know they are a small company, but come on. That's insane. Luckily, I got a few samples from someone else because I could not bring myself to pay so much money to sample their product. I actually kind of like the naming scheme (eg, Frisky Abyssian, Inquisitive Manx, etc) but dislike the over all look of their website. I do like that they organize the shades by skin tone and from light to dark (something even Everyday Minerals fails to do). Meow also does not accept returns of any kind.

Okay, so I got my samples. Applied it. The powder seems very finely ground. Color matches pretty well. VERY sheer coverage. I like it but I'm not crazy about it.

Some people are complaining about "glitter" in this foundation. So when I applied it to my hand I also saw the "glitter". Then I put my Everyday Minerals on my hand to compare and I was shocked to see "glitter" in that one as well! I've been wearing it for years and never noticed. So I feel like the glitter is actually luminious powder so it does not look so flat on your face. I'm not sure how it doesn't get mixed in during production, but when applied it will disappear.

I love the color selection of Meow. So many undertones and shades. The Purrrfect Puss coverage is very sheer (always nice to have that option to those who want it, but I would probably get more medium coverage). The ingredients and quality seem good. BUT I am probably going to re-order my Everyday Minerals because I feel like cost of Meow is too expensive for the samples.

By the way, I received the following samples in a swap: Sleek Korat, Sleek Abyssinian (waaaaaayyy too light), Sleek Siamese, and Frisky Korat. I was recommeded by Meow's color help to try Korat, Abyssinian, and Siamese in Inquisitive (0), Sleek (1), and they said they thought Frisky (2) might be too dark for me but weren't sure. Korat seems to work reasonably well for me as it is a gold/beige color. Sleek is almost too light but Frisky is almost too dark. If you do a google search for "rock roll glam meow foundation" it will take you to a blog with the BEST review and swatch photos of warm and light shades. I would love to repost the photos here but it's not my blog.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So I tried a few samples and found my perfect match with Naughty Korat. I am a light-medium neutral but like a more golden tone to cover my redness. This foundation felt so lightweight and looked so natural....like real skin. I apply it using my RT buffing brush and stipple and buff it on to my skin. I get the most coverage that way and it never looks cakey. I wear this on top of my BE primer and it makes my skin look so smooth. Doesn't settle into lines or pores, in fact it actually makes my pores look smaller! I couldn't believe it. I was about to give up on all mineral and powder foundations but this one is the BEST. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by GreenEyedGal86

Great product. I have this is Inquisitive Mau. It's a very fair warm colored foundation. This is the only powder I've ever liked and not thrown away after week or two. I've had this for about four months and use it about everyday.

It's not heavy enough for me to wear just alone but it's great as a setting powder and I actually wear it to the gym so I don't look like I'm covered in baby oil. It's a good thing.

I have never seen a line of cosmetics with so many shade options! They have thought about every possible skintone. Well done them!

if you have hard to match skin, give them a look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by husserl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This foundation is the cat's meow!

See what I did there? :)

Anyway, I highly recommend this product because it is both an excellent product AND an excellent value for the price.

There is not much that I could say here about the product itself that hasn't already been said, but I will add that I used to be a die-hard liquid foundation user because I thought that only liquid foundation could conceal all of my skin "issues."

What I didn't realize was that the liquid makeup often made my skin condition worse in the summer heat and whatever coverage benefit that was gained was lost due to poor color matching. I was having a tremendous heap of problems finding a shade match in both drugstore and high-end brands because most pale shades are too pink for me. When I finally found a liquid shade match (NARS Siberia), the product just slid around on my face and looked terrible. I was really saddened to think that I would have to spend about 45 bucks every couple of months for what was, essentially, a foundation that didn't even work for me.

After some asking around on MUA about pale foundations, I decided to give Meow a try. Meow really changed my opinion about what mineral foundation can do. Also, the value is just unbeatable. I was able use the large size to make my own portable compact to take to work AND I'm still barely halfway through the big container I purchased in July (and it's nearly December now).

I *almost* gave up on Meow because there were TOO many shade options to try and three different formulations of each with their own color payoff properties. Even though this one is the lightest coverage (I think!), it actually had the best coverage for me because it was the "blendiest" of the bunch.

The only downside was that I had spent maybe $30 or so JUST on samples alone at first. I also had to try two rounds of samples because the first round was TOO pale for me -- that is a FIRST EVER and it was almost a welcome problem. The whole process of finding the right shade took between 3-4 weeks because the shipping is rather sluggish.

But, if this happens to you, don't fret! I'm SO glad I stuck with it. Now that I know my shade, I will just re-order at my leisure because the sizes are so generous there's no way I could suddenly run out of foundation. I don't even regret that initial investment into samples because I normally would have repurchased foundation at least three times between July and now and I'm not even done with the first container.

HG! =^..^=

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by seven12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this foundation. I'm NC20 and my Meow shade is Frisky Chartreux, which is the 3rd lightest shade in the yellow/peach undertone family. It's very lightweight and only contains 3 ingredients, which is something I love. The finish is matte, with light, slightly-buildable coverage. My skin is dry, so I use a good moisturizer underneath (and concealer if necessary) and then use a finishing spray like MAC Fix+ to take away the powdery look. It wears evenly on me and doesn't melt in heat or humidity. If I am going on a beach vacation, this is what I always bring.

One of the things I love is that Meow has so many shades and they offer $1 samples. I really think anyone, of any skintone, could find match. I really have nothing bad to say. I've been buying Meow for years and will continue to repurchase!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by grak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this product. I hold out from saying HG, but I definitely seem to be coming back to this one. This formula is light to medium coverage for me and I think it looks very natural and still matte, not shiny like I get with BE.

The color selection at first is a little daunting, but it is well-organized and I ordered samples in many different formulas and shades to see which suited me the best. I really appreciate being able to do samples first. I ended up being Korat, which surprised me. I have typical fair coloring and look great in cool colors, but my undertones are NOT pink as everyone in creation seems to think they should be. I thought I would be neutral - like a Siamese, but Mau was pretty good, and Korat seemed to be perfect. (Not every cool-colored girl has cool undertones!!)

I am impressed with this foundation and really like how it looks and wears throughout the day. It does not cake at all on me.

My one drawback with this foundation is its powdery/messiness. I think that is a bit par for the course with loose powders - but this one puffs off a lot of fine powder when I apply it to my face. It is very fine, which probably helps with the great naturalness of the look, but there is quite a bit of powder puffing off when I am putting it on. Somewhat worth dealing with though to get such a nice look!

Doesn't bother my skin at all.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 5:58:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I usually use Meow's heavy coverage Flawless Feline foundation, but with my skin clearing up and the weather turning warmer I decided to give Purrfect Puss a try for something lighter. YIKES, I don't know what my skin didn't like, but not only did this make my skin itch, but it also broke me out in small hives. I never had this reaction with FF or Pampered Puss, so I can't be allergic, and I haven't changed anything in my skin care routine. This might be so light/fine that it's going into my pores and aggravating them...weird. I'll stick with FF and Pampered Puss. As for the coverage itself, it's so light that I think that it's best for those with good skin that just want to even things out.