September 2, 2014 | 1419 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Rapture Ultimate Beauty Palette

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2009 12:14:00 AM More reviews by sardav

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Firstly, this product really looks great in the packaging and i like the idea of having a product that you can take with you when travelling and it has everything you would need. The only products in this palette that I rate and think are worth it is the eyeliners, blushers, lipgloss/creams. I have these products separately and am hard pressed to say that they are any different which is a positive considering it is a palette. However the eyeshadows are disappointing, they do not last, they are very shimmery and powdery. So while they look the same as the individual eye shadows I doubt that they are the same mix and consistency. Also, the eye brow tech/wax within the palette is fine if you are very fair/blonde as there is no brunette or a darker colour included. Overall, I am unlikely to buy this again just because I think that the quality of the shadows is very poor.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2009 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Pharrah

I loved the colors in this palette, lots of highlighters,which is really nice! The colors come out kind of sheer even with a base, and in order to see actual color, I had to pat the shadow on instead of using a swiping motion like usual. I wish it was more pigmented though, and if they had some matte colors it would have been perfect and I probably would have been set on makeup for life (until I'd runout)! I like how you can try out the cheek color with a highlighter for the evenings, They included everything you need to do your face in one cute kit! Brows, liners, lipsticks, and lipglosses! Great for a person just starting out on makeup.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 3:42:00 PM More reviews by DENF

I just picked this up on Ebay. They are still floating around and can be had for around the originial retail price. This is surprisingly good quality for made in China cosmetics. Most of Smashbox's regular line is made in the US, Canada and Italy, but for their value sets they turn to China. The makeup is nowhere near as good as their regular line, but is still quite good, and for the price point when compared to drugstore lines, still a very good value. The shadows are loosely pressed, making it easy to load your brush. I think many of my fellow reviewers are mistaken that for high quality. However the shadow themselves are not anywhere near as finely milled as Smashboxes regular line. The shimmer particles are quite course and saddly they have opted to include them in nearly every shadow. In comparison to the shadows in Smashbox's recent Artists Eye Palette are much silkier and apply and appear far nicer then the ones in this palette. I woudld give those shadow a 5 and these a 3.5. The pigment is decent on most of the colors in the Rapture palette, but some - noteably the column of peaches are completely overwelmed by the shimmer to the point that every single color in that line (except the darkest one) appear to be an identical silvery-white-peach. I tried these with MAC Paint, UD Primer Potion, and Trish base, but found this work the best with Bobbi Brown's shadow base. A lot of the 70 colors are very similar but there is a good selection of greys, periwinkle and grey blues, plums, roses, celery and forest greens, taupes and browns of all kinds. The bronzer, two blushes and highlighter are highly pigmented and I found I need to use a large fluffy bronzer brush to get a natural application on my currenty NC 25 level skin. I wished that had an included a dozen different blush choices instead of large plans of couple. The brow tech and wax is fine if you like brow powders, and the deep brow powders work great as liners. The gel lines are moist and go on nicely with SB's angled liner brush which I have from another kit. The lippies were a pleasant surprise. They are moist, with just the right balance of sheerness and pigment in a nice variety of very wearable colors. I own a lot better quality cosmetics then this, but it is still fun to play around with and can produce a wide variety of polished looks. This is a very buy for someone who wants to get a huge selection of wearable colors for a bargain price and doesn't mind that the quality is going to be somewhere between drugstore and low-end department store. My final caveat is that China has recently been found to be putting all sorts of forbidden things in various products with unhappy results to the purchaser. I won't be shocked to find that some made in china cosmetics are including banned ingredients, or have been contaminated by known carcnigens. Personally, I don't mind playing with made in China makeup, but I don't think I'd want to risk doing my entire face out of made in China products day after day for years.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 7:35:00 AM More reviews by pimpernell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally after a while of lemming this, my palette arrived! After reading many reviews I fell in love with this palette and a great MUA CP'd this for me!

Smashbox isn't easy to get here in Belgium because the brand is just released here, and I don't think alot of people know exactly what it is...or aren't willing to pay alot for it....cause SB is very expensive here with the euro, and they also do not carry everything from the brand, just the basics.

I do think the palette looks a bit like a cheap Markwins blockbuster that you see in stores around christmas everywhere,but when you open it you can see the difference.

The e/s are much softer texture than what I thought they would be and for me that is a good thing I hate it when you need to scrape out some e/s out of a pan just to get some color or product.
The pigmentation is a bit on the light side for some colors, i mean they are all soft neutral colors with only a few darker ones. This is a great to use use as everyday-colors to go to work etc...

Also the cream liner are a big jay for me, I actually don't like those big containers that weigh a bit.also the texture is great and the liner goes on very smoothly.

What I do know for sure is that I probably won't use all of the browpowders...only 1 has the right color for my brows.

The only thing that i'm abit scared off is that if I plan to use the lippies,and the powders next to it,the powder will get into the lippie and it will get messy and dirty!

Overall, i'm very pleased with this palett and I can't wait to play with it as much as I can!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2009 8:34:00 PM More reviews by kanha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read about the palette a few days ago and went to the ULTA website to order one because of all the wonderful reviews. To my sweet shock it was only 29.95. Ka ching! Anyways they were out of stock so I went to my local Ulta instead.

Pros:
*Awesome awesome variety.
*Great packaging.
*Fantastic Price.
*I didn't get the Bionic masacra but got the Smashbox headshot trio and Napolean lip gloss freebie instead.

Cons:
*Some of the darker eyeshadows were really powder when I swiped. I ended up tapping a lot back in the tray, then if I didn't wipe it, the flakes would tumble around inside the casing.
*Some shades had glitter and the glitter pieces seemed really big to me.
*And the blush. What was up with that? You know the one on the left. WAY too glittery.

It only three points because I like dark eyeshadows and well... dark shadows in this one didn't work as much as I'd like. Overall it's still a great kit. I would definitely buy it as a present for someone. Seriously, can not beat that price.

EDIT: Well I played with it some more and ah... =) hehe. I decided to give it 4 stars from 3 because I noticed that with repeated use the powders don't dust as much as they used to. I don't know if maybe it was just that I had to scratch through the first layers or what, but my brush doesn't kick up as much powder even when I use a heavier hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2009 12:42:00 AM More reviews by Godzilli

The case: Cute design, sturdy closure and hard plastic. Not too large to take on a trip (and you won't need much else).

E/s: Good quality. There are only a few very dark colors, and no really bold or 'out-there' colors. It gives you a broad range of colors however, in more restrained tones. All the basics plus a little more. They have good (not amazing) staying power but do crease somewhat by the end of the day (w/ primer). I should mention that the only eyeshadow that has ever had an instance of not creasing on me is Urban Decay, and it is not always perfect either. The shimmer/sheen varies by shade, but most of them have some sheen to them, as is the trend in eyeshadow these days. The finish from the sheen can be quite beautiful, and I would normally consider myself a matte shadow gal.

Brow powder/wax: Neat. I was curious about this stuff but I didn't really trust a powder on my brows. I really like this stuff for the control and finish it gives you -- however, I will admit that I often still reach for a pencil product, only because I'm faster with it.

Cream eyeliner: Yay! I finally figured out how to work the brush to get the kind of line I want, and Wow! This stuff really stays once it is set. The only thing I don't like about using cream eyeliner in general is that you have to stay on top of your brush cleaning (and I always forget).

Others: Beautiful, pink blush shade. Love the highlighter too. Haven't tried the bronzed blush shade or the bronzer too much, but I think the cheek and face powders are Smashbox's forte. Also, this palette comes with 4 mini-brushes which work pretty well. There is one for every function needed in the palette (oops. except blush, but you need a nice big brush for that) -- I really like that this makes the palette self-contained.

Lip shades are slippery, not sticky, and are almost all on the sheer side. However, I think the finish they give your lips is very beautiful and they are comfortable to wear. I do get a bit of powder in them from the nearby blush though - it's close quarters in there.

Overall: If I had to sum this kit up in one word, it would be "fun." When I get ready, I open up this kit and sigh in contentment. I just see what eye color combination I'd like to try today and experiment with it. Rarely am I unhappy with my choices when I'm done. Also, it allowed me to try a few products I was curious about but never would have bought separately (brow powder, bronzer, cream eyeliner palette) -- you are getting a lot in one package AND it will last you a while.

I am torn on the overall rating. It deserves a 4.5, but I'll give it a 4 since I don't want to over-sell it, and I think the eyeshadow could wear longer and crease less. Although it was worth it at $59, I rarely pay full price for anything, so I guess I prefer that it was cheaper too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2009 6:13:00 AM More reviews by pixyjess115

After searching for a basic eyeshadow palette for awhile, i finally decided to buy this from the smashbox website. I also looked at the urban decay, bobbi brown, dior, and coastal scents eyeshadow palettes. The urban decay one was a little too dramatic for everyday use, the bobbi brown had a lack of variety, the dior iridescent only came with 5 colors(and pricey) and the coastal scents one just looked too cheap (even though it got good reviews....i didn't wanna risk it).

So I ended up buying the smashbox palette after reading the reviews on here. I LOVE the range of colors offered. It's perfect for blending and trying out a variety of looks. It also came with eyebrow powder and a highlighter which i also wanted to try, and of course the cream eyeliners. The shadows are all really pretty. They are all slightly shimmery and perfect for creating different looks. I feel like the shadows are more natural looking, even though they could be layered to create a more heavy look. I actually didn't like the cream eyeliners as much as I thought I would because they seemed a little dry. The blushes and highlighter are great. The only thing I didn't like about this kit would be the scent that comes from the lip glosses. The scent reminds me of some cheap highly perfumed makeup and this is the only major downside to the kit. Whenever I open the bottom part of the palette to use the brow powder and blush, the smell from the lip glosses really bother me!!
They should really work on making the palette unscented!

Otherwise the palette is great! they have such a great variety of shades and the colors are all subdued and not too bright, so they are really blendable and natural looking. For the price it's a pretty good deal too! I personally am a fan of super shimmery shadows and these are not that shimmery but still great!

I find some of the smashbox products to be overpriced and overrated but this palette is a definitely a winner! highly recommend ++

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 4:04:00 PM More reviews by shayfrom78

I was lucky enough to find this 2 weeks ago & I've been using it everyday since ! I love the shadows very blendable & great staying power . The liners , blushes, & brow tech are great too , I was really suprised at how good this palettes quality is . Highly reccomended !

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2009 9:37:00 PM More reviews by carleymarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a huge fan of smashbox and when I saw this kit, I knew that I had to have it. The quality of the eyeshadows are as fantastic and long-lasting as any other shadows from the line. I like the variety of colours and the range of shimmery to matte colouring. The bronze lights colour is beautiful and very soft. It does not wash out my pale skin tone. I like the large size of it as well as the soft lights. There are several cream liners in different colours. When I first began using smashbox products, I thought that I would never use the cream liners, but have fallen in love with the ease of application. There is brow tech in the kit, with a variety of colours to match any hair colour as well as a generous size of the wax. In all, I have used this palette everyday since I received it and the case is very easy to carry around and have almost everything I need to complete my look for day or night.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2009 3:19:00 AM More reviews by baby_muffin

i received this pallete today and ohh my GOD this such a cute pallete...it was all the decent colors. Too bad it doesnt havefun bright colours like torqoise..or bright pink ..red ...orange..u kno wat i mean..doesnt contain vibrant colors but all the colors are very very useful..infact if u jus buy this pallete..u never hav to worry abt neutrals smokey grey blu muted green..muted pink.and some gorgeous browns..and goldy and frosty colorss..Im so glad i bought the pallete..i will never hav to worry abt any colors except some bright ones. which i can afford to buy here and there...Plus how often we were brights anyways!? Im goin tarvelling that was the main reason to buy this pallete..now wit this all i need is my foundation and facepowder and one bright blue eye shadow and bright torquise and one bright purple eyeshadow..a cool pink blush ,a primer, mascara and brushes and i will be GOOD!! it contains 2 blushes one is pretty dark from my nc 25 skin and another is peachy pink matte..softlights is really pretty..very sublte shimmer..gives it a nice healthy glow..bronze lights is matte and its a natureal bronze on my skin..i wish it had a pink blush tho..(both of the blushes are on peachy warmy side). All the eye liners are creamy and the flavoured lip gloss dint bother me much! so im =)..brow colors and wax is pretty handy as well..i hate the brushes..i will use my own(palletes bushes are never good quality anyways) The textures of eyeshadow are ssuper smooth and pigmented and slightly shimmery, which i like, blushes and soft lights, bronze lights go on like butter. this pallte is really good quality..although im not a a very fan of the cheap plastic top. feels little breakable. Anyways in then end..this pallete is really worth buying....its rally worth ur money...so ladiesown this before it runs out, this is one of the best deal u can ever find.! I hope u guys all enjoy it as much i am.. =)