November 25, 2014 | 1819 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - Adoring Carmine Face Brush Set 2008

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 3:07:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The foundation brush was painfully scratchy.
The duo fibre has a much smaller head than the original and it flops all over the place. No control.
The concealer brush is a different shape and feel to the original. Its floppy and much longer, and the head is rounded not with a slight point like its meant to so I can't use it to "dot" a tiny amound concealer onto small blemishes like with the fullsize one.
The 168 "Large Angled Contour Brush" is more like a "Small Angled Contour Brush" as its much smaller than my fullsize one. Oh and it sheds too.

The whole set stinks. A waste of US $50, oh actually $100, cause I had to pay $50 shipping to get it to NZ :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2010 7:12:00 AM More reviews by lehzheng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

edit: okay, i take it back... The 168 sucks. I actually laughed at one reviewer who said it took the foundation right off her face. Well... I was applying an extremely pigmented blush today and tried to apply with a light hand. Behold! My foundation stuck on the brush and the blush needed to be buffed. crap...

To be honest, I've always found MAC brushes on the scratchy side. They're great brushes but the trade off is always in the fact that they are way too scratchy!

The stippling brush applies my foundation nicely. I don't understand the "airbrushed" finish, but maybe Im not applying it right? I like the finish, but it has shed a few hairs on me. Still in the first wash though so that's expected. I applied my deep mask on it so it can be a little softer. stopped shedding hairs after the second week. feels a bit flimsy and not firm. I dont use foundation for this anymore! I've got ecotools for that. I use this for blush now. It's fine.

The blush brush is okay. No streaks! Maybe now I can experiment with contouring. it's gotten slightly rougher, but I still like the way it applies color!

The concealer brush is great. I needed one in my collection anyway. Nothing genius, but at least it gets to the creases of my nose.

The foundation brush is probably my favorite! It's super dense and applies any foundation like a dream!

I wouldn't buy this set again coz I think I can find better dupes out there that are soft and apply make up nicely. Better yet, maybe I should buy the full sized brushes.

Took a lippie off for being scratchy, another for having a wierd chemical smell. I do hope it washes off.

edit: Putting a deep conditioner mask on the ends of the brush did make it a lot softer. yey! I also used EnKore's version of deodorizing brushes. Now I dont have to hold my breath when I apply my make up. The stippling brush took a while to deodorize.
edit: the smell returned! What the **** is this scent!?

Wish I bought ecotools instead of this though. I think i could've bought 2 ecotools for the price of this thing. Stilll.... at least now I know that I should definitely stay away from SE versions. will probably buy full sized ones in the future...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2009 3:02:00 PM More reviews by nicole007

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

what a waste of 50 dollars. to explain more would be wasting more of my precious time considering how much time i've wasted trying to make these crappy brushes work. buy the full sized mac brushes, not this machine made junk. it's worth the money.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2009 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Teex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Limited edition brush set. I bought this after losing my beloved full size 190 brush. You get 4 great face brushes + 2 zipper pouches (one big, one smaller), for a great price.

But there has been talk that the limited edition brushes are not hand made with the same quality as the bigger ones- that's why they're cheaper. I am not able to confirm this, but will say that my 187 isn't as full as the full sized ones. The black bristles do not work well in keeping the white ones seperated, this leads to the white bristles clumping up together during use or after wash. I find that this makes the whole "air brush finish"-thing harder to achieve.

All in all, this is great if you are keen on getting your hands on some MAC brushes, but if I could, I would have instead spent the money on other brands like Sigma, Gosh, E.L.F. or even EnKore's (from Youtube) line of brushes- as he has fantastic duo fibre ones.

I will not be repurchasing anymore limited edition brush sets from MAC, but I may recommend them to others.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2009 2:48:00 PM More reviews by Inyoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Worst investment ever. && this was a gift.

Let me start off by saying I love MAC. I was impressed by the Heirlooms Brush Set! [: So I expected nothing less from this one. I wasn't too caught up with the red, but it'll work!

My brother got this brush set for me while they were like $35 bucks, so at least we didn't have to pay full price because they totally sucked!

I deep wash my brushes (all my brushes) very often, I don't even use my MAC Brush Cleaner anymore, just stick to J&J Baby Shampoo and it works for me...but no matter how much I washed, and washed, AND WASHED, these brushes would not work!

I have the full size 190 and the Heirloom gold handled one but sometimes those two are being washed and I have to resort to using this one...it hurts. Literally, when I apply my Studio Fix Fluid...it hurts my skin, and I don't have sensitive skin at all...sorry for the comparison but it literally feels like HAY being scratched onto my skin. Ughhh. (Old hay, mind you, lol). Same with the concealer 194 brush...

I haven't tried the 168 because my full size and the Heirlooms ones are such a pain to wash and then get into the right shape again, so I've saved myself from that hassle !

Even my favorite 187 sheds like crazy...even when I'm freaking applying blush with it...):

Don't waste your money or swap opportunities with this gals...save up and get the real brushes...it'll be worth it!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2009 1:49:00 PM More reviews by lucy1984

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i bought this set in december to get the 187se. i used the other brushes, but i didnt really like them. i used the 187se to apply my studio fix powder, and i loved the way it applied it. i havent found another brush that has left me witht the same results. i swapped this set away....and now im looking for another 187SE

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Jeana

These are the only MAC brushes I own at the moment and I got them for a decent price. I find they are the perfect size to tag along in my purse and I also use them daily. I don't find them scratchy at all, like some of the other reviewers. To me, they are soft enough for my face, yet firm enough to hold the products. Also, the 168SE sheds quite a bit, which is annoying, but it works well. The only brush in this set that I find kind of lame and floppy is the 194Se, but I still use it. The cases are cute and I love the red. I would definitely repurchase these (at the sale price), as they are the perfect size for me and I think they work very well for my needs. These have made me more curious about full sized MAC brushes and I forsee myself buying the regular sized versions in the near future.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2009 4:38:00 AM More reviews by pinksnowbunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

WORST BRUSHES EVER!!!! very scratchy, and they shed like crazy!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2009 2:16:00 PM More reviews by neotrad

Basically, the quality of the MAC brush sets are always different from the full sized-regular priced MAC brushes. Most of the brushes that come with the sets are made in China(poor quality) and the regular ones are made in France, USA, Japan(good qualities and very professionally made). So, I personally wouldn't recommend or suggest buying these holiday brush sets just to see and try how MAC brushes are. The price wise, you might feel like it's a good deal, but remember what you get is what you pay for.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 4:08:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I was so excited when I got this as a gift for Christmas, because they were all "SE" versions of brushes that I did not have yet (all the expensive face brushes I was avoiding). I was waiting for a 187 at the CCO, but they were always out, so I was happy that it came in the set. I knew that it was not going to be the same as the full size 187, but I heard it was comparable. It is true, it is in most ways I suppose. My boyfriend bought me the regular 187 and now I can honestly say they are quite different. The regular 187 applies more even, is gentler and is better for blush. Do not get me wrong the 187SE, it is still good, probably the only reason to get the set (DONT). The other brushes are SOOO synthetic and not worth using for what they are "meant" to do. I use the 190SE for moisturizer application and use the concealer for tiny imperfections. The 168SE, I believe, is really small and not soft at all. I never use it. I also received a 129SE in the other set, and use it as a painting brush, and it is not even good for that. That one has to be the worst in my opinion.