Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 4.20%, Titanium Dioxide 2.45%. Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

on 3/27/2015 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Besides the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer, I've only used a few others (Smashbox Photo Finish, Shiseido Refining Primer and Too Faced Hangover Primer). So far, I prefer the Mineral Veil over the others and for the price, I feel like it was good but not amazing. I bought the travel sized version of this first ($21 CAD for 0.33 oz) and liked it enough to buy the full sized version ($60 CAD for 1 oz).

Just as a reference, I have acne-prone skin, with a really oily T-zone and I get a bit oily on my chin and cheeks. In my makeup routine, apply a gel moisturize, apply this primer, then use MUFE Mat Velvet + with my beautyblender and set with TheBalm translucent powder. It gives me a smooth base, minimizes my pores, allows my foundation to go on evenly, makes me less oily throughout the day, seems to make my base long wearing, etc.

There is a slight scent, but it's not off-putting or that noticeable. I have tried other foundations with this primer and it still gives me the same smooth base, however, the minor faults have always been the same. I always notice that my foundation still settles under my eyes and it doesn't minimize the chance of my foundation rubbing off too much - such as, when I lightly blot my face. I do like how it's in a glass container and has a pump though!

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good primer. It definitely does minimize your pores, makes you less oily and gives you a smooth base. I will keep repurchasing until I find my HG face primer!

on 3/25/2015 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my favorite primer. First of all, it contains SPF, which is really great because I prefer to not use sunscreen under my makeup and most of my foundations do not have SPF properties. It is so silky and smooth, a little goes a long way which is important because this product is really expensive ($52 USD for 1oz) but the bottle is pretty big. I prefer to get the travel sizes ($18 USD for 0.33 oz) because I feel like it's a better monetary value and more hygienic to buy a new one every several months.

This primer works with any foundation I have tried - matte, demi-matte, and tinted moisturizer. Using it makes my foundation go on smoother, look better, and stay on for longer. It creates a barrier between the skin and the foundation so that the product doesn't sink into fine lines or into pores. The product has a very faint smell, but it is definitely not perfumey. It is a stark white color but blends to invisible once on the skin. Before even using foundation, I always notice that my skin looks more even and glowing after using it. It definitely blurs the appearance of imperfections.

I've seen a lot of people apply this with a brush or beauty blender, but I prefer to just use my fingers because it warms up the product and spreads it a little bit easier. Also, I don't feel the need to blend it completely. Overall, my HG primer.

on 3/24/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

At $52 for 1 oz of product, this is the most expensive primer I have ever owned, so I really wish I didn't like it. While it is a silicone-based primer, it doesn't feel greasy in the slightest. The texture is incredibly silky and smooth, and it has the consistency of a thin white lotion. It dries quickly on my face and leaves a semi-matte finish (which I personally love) and leaves a wonderful canvas for the smooth application of my liquid foundation. My makeup lasts all day and I have very little breakthrough oil which is very impressive for my combination skin. Highly recommended.

on 3/23/2015 11:03:00 PM

I do love this silky-textured primer. It smells and feels wonderful and my makeup glides over it like a dream. I don't have much trouble keeping makeup on my skin even though I'm oily, but I guess this helps the shine somewhat without making me too matte, and it calms redness a little.

on 3/21/2015 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my favourite primer so far but im yet to find my HG. This primer is lightweight and makes my face feel super soft which makes applying foundation smoothly so much easier. I don't feel like it evens out skin tone at all or blurs huge pores. I find if you pat the primer into the areas with huge pores rather then smooth it over it shrinks the appearance of pores better. As far as oil control goes it seems to keep shine at bay for the longest time I've got with any other primer but still not long enough. It is pretty expensive I'm not sure it's quite worth how much it costs.

on 3/18/2015 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I just bought this primer a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! I have combination skin that tends to be on the more oily side and problems with hyper pigmentation and texture. This really evens out my skin and makes my makeup last all day. Not to mention I've gotten so many compliments lately about how flawless my skin looks =)

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

I bought the $18 sample size from Sephora because I was looking for a primer and this stuff is really pricy. For the duration that I was using it, I thought I really liked it. You have to shake before you apply, and it gives an extremely luxurious feeling of application. The product itself feels expensive if that can make any sense whatsoever.

However, at the end of the day, I don't think it extended the wear of my foundation for too long. I think that this primer would be better for oilier skin types as dry girls are so much better off going with a hydrating primer.

The pump is nice, but it will stop pumping product when you are about halfway through. Because the tube is clear, you can clearly see all the product left inside, so you're stuck opening up and removing it yourself.

The extremely high price tag on this primer makes it not worth it. It's nice, but the price is not justified.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I am obsessed with primers because I have a really uneven skin tone (hyperpigmentation and scars), oily T-zone (although this has considerably been better these days. It's only after a long hour of makeup wear now) and HUGE pores (thanks to my on-going battle with acne). No matter how good the foundations are, without primers, they are always just sub-par.

However a lot of primers (such as DHC, tarte, smashbox) make me break out or don't do anything (cover FX, korres) or just do one part of what I want like maybe it would even skin tone but cannot do anything about the pores (faceshop's face it, banila co primer). As you can see, I have tried many many primers. This one is my ultimate favorite.

It does everything I want, it evens my skin tone, makes me non-oily (this was when I had very oily t-zone area) and it fills in my pores WITHOUT breaking me out! Is that not magic enough for you? It does break my wallet's heart I'm sure. But I really can't find any dupes or anything that can replace this. One tip though, you have to wait a bit before you apply anything else after you apply this (maybe 2 minutes or so) in order for you to see the full effect. You CAN apply foundation right after the application of the primer - and it will work its magic in time, but I think it tends to work better if you wait a little. I don't need a lot of it - I used to

After getting two sample sizes from Sephora, I did buy the huge one. I don't regret it at all - I preferred the tube packaging because of all the dead volumes in pumps that I cannot take out - so I preferred to use a tube - that way I can cut it (and then I just place the top and the bottom together after I apply some) and if you use this method, it makes the bottle last 2 weeks- a month longer. One thing to be warned about the big one though, is that the primer is very runny, so you can't let it stand on the cap and open it because then you will have a flood of really expensive primer all over your hands. I actually put it standing up with the top facing up to prevent this. You could also shake it - but you can't shake it with the cap closed, because the texture is too runny so it will spill on the cap (and you want to limit all the extra spillage for this product!) take the cap off, close the opening with your finger and shake it. I feel that this makes the product more effective for me.

But love this. I will constantly be trying out new primers in hopes that there's one cheaper, but it will probably be my favorite for a couple years.

on 3/4/2015 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Glad I bought the travel size for $18 instead of wasting my money on the full size for 52 bucks! (Forget about wasting money on the jumbo size for $72!) I suggest trying a sample from Sephora first, if you even want to waste your time doing that.
I thought this product would be a great addition to my daily routine. I already use an SPF, so I figured I could get a primer with some added sun protection as a bonus.
The packaging is a thick frosted glass, which probably adds to the exorbitant price of this basic formula. One pump covered my face in a thin, even layer, but it was a watery mess to apply. As I was applying, my skin started to become flakey and dry. Clearly, my makeup did not apply well over these flakey patches. Titanium dioxide and zinc are drying anyway, and there isn't many moisturizing ingredients in this formula to make up for it. Stearic acid is present, but it can be clogging and irritating to many. Also, isododecane, which is meant to help liquidy formulas spread easily, is very drying and irritating on my skin. Isododecane is present in many silicone free moisturizers, primers, SPFs, and foundations. I can't use Skinceuticals Physical Fusion and Clinique DDMG because of it.
The white cast with this was too noticeable as well.
I recommend saving your money on this product. I'm sure there are great primers out there, but this is not one of them. It's disappointing too, since this is a silicone free primer that could have been helpful to those who avoid silicones.

on 3/4/2015 10:10:00 PM

Never thought I would love a primer as much as this primer... especially one that is so stupidly expensive. Really does make a significant difference to my makeup - gives a nice finish, foundation goes on smoother and wears noticeably better throughout a long workday. Loved it so much that I bought the jumbo version in the tube (83$ CAN for 2oz - seems like an outrageous price, but really is cheaper in the long run if you're dedicated to this primer, like me!)

Popular Primer/ Correctors