August 21, 2014 | 1775 users online

Cleansers - Shea Terra Organics - Rose Hip & Red Bush African Black Soap Face Wash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! So yes, I am a makeup junkie and I put chemicals on my face almost every single day...but i have largely tried to replace a lot of my maintenance routine with natural/organic products where ever possible. Overall this process has done wonders for my hair and skin. Shea Terra Organics is kind of the last hurrah as far as my journey has come and this brand is amazing...one of the best, if not THE BEST natural product lines on the market today for organic/natural skincare.

With that said...my skin is still adjusting to it, so its not perfect yet...but I understand how the product works (on me). I am hoping that sharing my review may help some who have found that this product has not met their expectations or done more harm than good. I use this product in the evening as my nighttime was routine, and sometimes in the morning if I am not rushing. I first wash my face with Nubian Heritage Black Soap (the bar) to wash off my makeup. I have found that this face wash is not the best at removing makeup...you will need a second wash to do that. After my first wash, I pat my face mostly dry (if my face is totally wet I get soap in my eyes and it burns) and then apply a thin layer of the Rose Hip and Red Bush African Black Soap to my face and let it sit for 5-10 minutes (long enough to wash up). I rinse...pat dry, then follow up with the Shea Terra Ester-C Rose Hip Toner.

The combination is amazing. Some days I do feel like the face wash beads a layer of my skin off my face, on those days I need to rub a little more with my wash cloth, it really does exfoliate the skin. I have found that my dark marks have faded, and the overall clarity of my skin has improved. With that said...my skin is also two weeks into purging. This product has made every impurity in my skin come to head...which i think is why some people say it has broken them out. It has unclogged my pores, which has resulted in a few pimples...that is my only issue with this product...but they go away in a matter of days and it barely leaves a mark. I believe that this product has removed the impurities in my skin because I have had faster cell turnover (my pimples come to head and disappear within days and no more have come), my skin looks brighter, and my pores are much much smaller. I believe that with continued use this product will totally clear my skin. After two weeks, and about 10 days worth of breakouts, my skin is perfect smooth, no bumps of any kind, my pores seem to be shrunken, and the marks I have on my face have lightened drastically. Please keep in mind that I also use a glycolic acid pad a few times a week, and a bentonite clay/apple cider vinegar mask on my face a few times a week...and every night I also use castor oil around my eye area, and shea butter on my entire face. That is my entire skincare routine.

I plan to update after I have used this product for a few months...overall....i think everyone with acne prone skin should try it. It is my hopes that within a few months I will be updating this post to share with everyone that I have flawless skin! Thanks for reading! Message me if you have any questions.

Oh, the one thing I do forsee an issue with is the packaging, I like the dark glass bottle...but I feel like once I near the end of it its not going to get all of the product out at the bottom and I am going to have to drain it into something else to get the full value. Its not a huge deal, I have tons of small containers laying around...but still a bit of a pain. Oh...I also think the price point cannot be beat. For $15.99 (purchased off amazon), I have about two months worth of product with almost twice daily use. I am pretty sure after I finish up the products I have thus far I am going to go to the Shea Terra website and have an automatic reorder every two months so I do not have to worry about going without.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by WHITAKER556

Tried this for over a month and ended up with really clogged pores.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by lexiilex8080

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've had this for a few weeks now. It's starting to clear my acne up. You really do need to let it sit on your face for the recommended time to see a difference. Might not be good for some who just want to quickly wash their face and be done with it. It tingles a bit but not an uncomfortable feeling. It can be a bit drying if you don't use moisturizer after or if you have dry skin in general. Overall worth giving a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by lifeinfuschia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Results vary from person to person, and you may find this is too harsh for you, but THIS IS THE BEST FACE WASH EVER FOR ME. Yes, all caps. Two uses. Clear skin. ?!??!! I don't really understand, lol. I tried out raw black soap before to see if it would agree with my skin. Well, this is even better than raw. I rub it onto my skin and leave it on for around 8 minutes. Just great stuff....

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Hotpookas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started using this a month ago and since then 3 people have mentioned how good ny skin looks. I want to try every product from this line now.
Pros:
Removes makeup
Exfoliates without scrubbing
Natural ingredients, no added fragrance (smells like dirt- love it)
I've seen a huge improvement in nose & chin pores, clogs, and hyperpigmentation

Cons:
Pretty messy to apply. With wet hands it all runs down your arms before you can get it on. I started using a fan brush and that works great. Also best if your face is just barely damp.
Maybe a little drying in the beginning? It never irritated my skin but definitely proceed with caution if yours is sensitive.
Not the cutest mask/face wash (looks like dirt!)

I'm terrible at writing reviews but this is an amazing product whether you have issues with acne, PIH, or just occasional blemishes. It's $16 on Amazon. HG cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by juliakramp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing. I got a sample in my Birchbox, and after using it am & pm for a week, I can see better texture and my skin looks brighter. I have even gone a couple of days without powder or foundation, and I ALWAYS wear one or the other. I have finally found a keeper cleanser :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 3:31:00 PM More reviews by chelsk007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have found my HG cleanser! I have spent so much $$ at dermatologists for acne treatments and creams but they don't work to keep my skin clear all day like this does. I have very painful cystic acne all along my jaw line and chin and my skin is almost 100% clear after one bottle of this magic stuff! My second one is on the way!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 6:12:00 AM More reviews by emoore03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this cleanser. I am almost done with my first bottle, and I can honestly say it does what it claims to do. I have very acne prone skin that tends to react badly to almost everything that it comes into contact with. This face cleanser however, does not irritate my skin at all. The first time I used it I was wary, as many people have stated it burns. It did not burn my skin.

After using this cleanser for several days, the little bit of acne I had cropping up due to using MAC Studio Fix powder, was gone. I am always good about moisturizing, so I cannot comment on whether or not it is drying. It has though significantly improved the texture of my skin, tightened my pores, and in general evened out my complexion like no other singular product has done.

I am now buying my second bottle and hope they never stop making this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by westiegirlaz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I will buy this again-FANTASTIC cleanser. I have very sensitive, fair, dry skin...and I'm prone to breakouts and cystic acne. After a few acne scars that are slow to fade I find myself using Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover-which is thick and not easily removed with facial cleansers. I use this in combination with my clarisonic mia, and all is good. If I stray from this I find myself breaking out again. Double bonus that the ingredients are natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by BeachBunniee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I waited until I finished an entire bottle before writing this review. I'm happy to say I'm in love. My skin has never looked so refined and smooth. It's like the texture and appearance of my skin has been completely transformed. I was so skeptical about this cleanser at first...I mean, it's black and gooey and stinks. The only reason I purchased it was because of the rave reviews I saw on Birchbox. After 3 weeks of use my pores are smaller, my texture is smooth, my skin radiant. Again, I am in love. A year of prescription retinoids and vitamin C serums didn't even come close to the results I got from this.
In the AM I use it as a normal cleanser and at night I leave it on my face for 1-2 minutes before washing it off (it can be used as a mask too!). If I use it on my back or chest for blemishes I leave it on for 5 minutes before hopping in the shower. It is definitely very drying due to the intense daily exfoliating and complete skin overhaul, but I use cerave PM after and it takes care of the dryness. If you are looking for something to reduce pore size, refine your skin, and take care of discoloration I'd suggest giving this a try. Negatives: such a small bottle for the price!
I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin with spots of eczema for reference!
**This review is for the Shea Terra Organics Rose Hips Black Soap Deep Pore Cleanser