September 15, 2014 | 868 users online

Sunscreen - Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Moisture Milk SPF50 PA+++

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 1:17:00 AM More reviews by StephanieJane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this sunscreen for about 3 years now, and it's never disappointed me. It has a light, milky, slightly oily texture that dries to a soft and powdery finish within moments of applying on my skin. It works well as a make-up base, and doesn't exacerbate dryness. I don't notice it on my face once I've applied and put all my make-up on, and I've had no problems with it breaking me out. I have to admit that I have betrayed it occasionally, running off to try other brands of sunscreen when I was too lazy to order from Sasa.com, but I keep coming back to it. This is my perfect sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 5:56:00 PM More reviews by opheliae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

FYI: this review is for the one in the pink bottle. it says "SUNPLAY SKIN AQUA UV moisture Milk spf 50+" i believe it's the same product as the one in pictures on this page just new packaging..

this stuff is GOD SENT. I hadn't had much luck with U.S. sunscreens and I knew asia takes sun protection more seriously and had better sunscreens. The first one I tried is Biore Perfect Face UV milk which I do love but considering that my skin isn't oily, I love it for when it's very hot and humid or when it's hot and I'm expecting to be in the sun a lot that I would be sweating and I would still like for my makeup to stay on. So basically I love that SS for vacations in hot weather or maybe camping. I wouldn't use that as an everyday SS because of the drying effect and I don't feel comfortable putting alcohol on my skin everyday anyways.

I found this Mentholatum SS when i was looking for an alcohol-free japanese SS and it's everything I've wanted in a SS. I would say it is more lightweight than the Biore perfect face but no drying effect either, just very comfortable and light moisture. I can't even think of another product I have that feels as lightweight as this. The texture is like slippery water with no powdery feeling on the dry down as Biore. Wears wonderfully under makeup, as if it wasn't there at all. I'm not sure if it acts as a primer as the Biore one can because I don't have any kind of problem with my foundation staying on (unlike EltaMD UV Clear which seemed to melt in the presence of sunlight). I'm in love. I definitely want to use this forever.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by nanablue

i got this stuff from a supermarket and its cheap also. when i apllied on my face it feels light, no greasy, my cheeks feel so smooth, and no white cast at all. i use this sunscreen everyday, after couple of days there is no break out on me. my sensitive skin no more getting red after activity under sun light. i really love this sunscreen, definitely yes for repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:51:00 PM More reviews by sayakhansa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this review is for the gel version.

Let me preface this by saying I hate sunscreen. Most sunscreens I've tried are insanely greasy and have that strong sunscreen smell which I'm not fond of. I haven't tried much but I don't think I need to try anything else. I live in Indonesia and this is one hell of a hot place to live because it's pretty much summer all year round.

This sunscreen is the sh*t, people. It's very, very light. Very fluid-like, absorbs quickly and mattifies like a dream. No matter how often I reapply, I won't get greasy. It really has no sunscreen smell, it doesn't break me out and it doesn't leave a white cast on my face (I have medium-dark skin). Most importantly, it's cheap to boot. It's only $5 and it's easy to find. It makes applying sunscreen a breeze. I highly recommend this if you have oily/normal-oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 12:06:00 PM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this sunscreen as a replacement for my beloved Sofina Lucent UV, which I used for years until it was discontinued. For those of you who have used the Sofina, this is slightly more hydrating (as in, it adds some moisture but not oils).

It is less product for the money than Sofina (and not cheap if you live in the US and have to ship from Japan), but if you're looking for a matte, non-greasy sunscreen that is waterproof, it's worth the money.

I actually like this better than the Sofina, as it could be drying on my combo skin in the winter (also, I use Retin A, which makes my skin dryer). I am super acne-prone and this hasn't added to the problem at all. YMMV.

It doesn't have fragrance, so far as I can tell, but it does have a very slight powdery smell from the zinc (if you've used a physical ss like blue lizard, it's the same smell). Leaves my skin matte.

Remember to use a cleansing oil to thoroughly remove this ss, as it contains lots of silicones!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have the "Skincare Sarasara Milk" version of this sunscreen, which comes in a bottle identical to the picture except it's pink. It is supposedly bursting with skincare ingredients like hyaluronic acid and collagen, but it's still a very light formula. It also has light reflecting shimmer (not disco ball -- very fine shimmer) which brightens the complexion. The formula has more alcohol in it than my trusty Anessa, so it dries quicker, but it somehow felt heavier on my skin. I also noticed that when I bought a tube of the Biore perfect milk and used that for a few days, my breakouts cleared up -- I'm almost always breaking out so I didn't really have a particular culprit in mind, but this was apparently it! I guess all those moisturizing ingredients weren't for me. For reference, I also compared the ingredients to my new Biore, and the Biore has the added protection of titanium dioxide which this doesn't have, so better protection too! Therefore, this unfortunately is going in the trash. I would recommend this only for those with fairly dry skin that isn't breakout prone, who want a nice brightening makeup base.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by am_a_fool

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This sunscreen is almost too good to be true. No white streak, super matte and dirt cheap (where I live, it is sold at U$3). However, it breaks me out and puts tons of blackheads on my face - even though the ingredient list seems to be harmless, (only the collagen might be troublesome but i guess it is used at a very low percentage). I already use an oil-cleanser/make up remover/baby oil to remove it. I thought I found my HG sunscreen but it's not this one then.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Rikoo

This is coming from someone who absolutely hates sunscreen: this stuff is awesome. I bought it at 7-11 in Japan and it's followed me from Tokyo to Hawaii to LA. It was strong enough to prevent my pale skin from burning after three hours at the beach in Hawaii, but light enough that I don't even feel it there. I also have the Skin Aqua Moisture Gel, which I like a lot less.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2009 2:16:00 AM More reviews by joanpante

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow, this is my HG sunscreen for face, as I wear it everyday now. For body, I use Neutrogena SPF85 (too greasy on face). I've been wearing this for a month now, and no breakouts! (Sometimes I sleep with it on & it doesn't clog poes.) The texture is very watery and runny, which makes it a little difficult to apply. But to prevent from wasting product, I squeeze it directly at my face, 2 spots on the cheeks, one on the forehead, a line along the nose, and one on the chin and upper lip. Like applying moisturizer, I spread it evenly on my face. This doesn't leave my face greasy or oily at all, in fact it doesn't feel as if I'm wearing sunscreen. Very lightweight! Which is kinda a problem at the beginning because I forget which area I applied it on, then I reapply on the area again. So that's why I apply it directly now, instead of squeezing it on to my hands, then spreading it on the face.

Rated 3 for packaging because the bottle is small.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by barrancalton

I bought this for $6 in Taiwan. (BTW, Taiwan has a lot of mentholatum-brand sunscreens). Sasa.com is too expensive, but just recently, since it looks like they raised the prices. Perhaps MUA skinboard increased their popularity and they are ca$hing in.

This is watery like Sofina. I really like the smell, which is a bit medical, but mostly neutral. I use an oil-cleanser since it is an asian sunscreen, and they tend to be sweat/water-resistant to a powerful degree.

A really lovely, effective and cheap product. Too bad its in Taiwan!