November 26, 2014 | 1165 users online

Polishes - China Glaze - Ghoulish Glow

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Ghoulish Glow is a sheer milky opal, glow-in-the-dark polish, that dries to a semi-matt finish. I got it when I bought the Halloween collection in 2013, so it wasn't a intentional purchase as I think that it is something that only those who enjoy creating nail art and/or stamping will get the most appreciation and use out off. So I most likely won't be rebuying it as I dont get much chance to wear it, though I do want to stick up for it a bit...

Ghoulish Glow works when used correctly, I just don't think people realise that you have to 'charge' it up so it glows properly; once you've applied it to your nails and it has dried, hold your nails close to a light (a flashlight works, but holding you nails up to a bulb is better) for about 30 seconds to allow the formula to absorb the light. After this step it'll glow mildly for hours. I guess that China Glaze should change the packaging and include guidelines on use so people know how to wear it to full effect.

Also; Ghoulish Glow is sheer when worn alone, so a lot of people use it as a topcoat. Fair enough, but remember that it was designed to be a colour polish, rather then a actual topcoat, so it does mute whatever shade you layer it over. I've found layering it over lighter colours gives off a stronger glow. Even wearing it under a glitter topcoat gives off a slight glow, whilst wearing it alone gives off a strong glow that lasts far longer.

Another of my favourite ways to use it is to layer it over a orange polish, then apply a black crackle polish over the now ghoulish orange base = electric tiger. The way the glow shows through the cracks in the crackle polish is very effective.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2013 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this polish for $6.99. That's a little expensive since its 3.5x what I normally spend on polish, but I like China Glaze. I read a lot of the reviews and therefor didn't expect much. To test, I painted my pinkie with one coat and held a flashlight over my nail for 30 seconds. The product glowed for about 20 seconds. I held the light on for about a minute and it still only glowed for about 20 seconds. At least it did glow.

I applied two coats of it as a base coat and did my tips in brown with a glitter line. When I tested the glow in a closet, it worked. Then I added a top coat, waited for it to dry, and tested the glow. It still glows. It doesn't appear milky to me as some have said in their reviews. It does feel chalky without a topcoat.

I think people have very high expectations of China Glaze's ability to glow the longest of all glow polishes (I've only tried this brand). The price is a little high for a seasonal polish. I should've bought the smaller bottle (not mini, minis almost never work) for a few dollars instead.

I think the glow is just fine. If it glowed constantly, it would be boring. Every now and then, when I walk into a darker area, they glow a little. IMO It's better than having them glow all the time. I bet it'll be fun to see when the kids are trick or treating and my nails glow as we leave a front step. I wouldn't recommend this to a friend because its a seasonal item that is otherwise pretty useless. I'd let them borrow mine because I doubt I'll ever use the bottle. As far as glow polish goes, I'm satisfied with this product. I just don't have much use for a glow polish.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by OvErDoSeDoNbEaUtii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this around Halloween, i thought it would be cool and cute for that holiday...but i was severely disappointed, it doesn't go on clear, so it tones down the color of your nail polish, i had a neon polish on at the time and it just washed out the color of my polish completely, the color went from bright and pretty to dull and boring. I put it on all of my toes, and only certain areas of my toes glowed, which i found weird, im sure i applied it all over my toes, i wouldn't apply to just random parts of my toe...overall it was a waste of money and i wont buy it again, and it doesn't glow how i thought it would

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2012 4:10:00 PM More reviews by Aliakatt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this with a set from China Glaze, and haven't really found much of a use for it. It glows lightly if you keep it under a light for a time. Goes on easily, though it did take a while to dry. I wouldn't buy it again, simply because I do not use it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 5:42:00 AM More reviews by sixjoy

It glows after you applied one coat and let it sit under a light for awhile. Glows brightly if you apply it over light colors and I could hardly see the glow if i applied it over a dark color. But overall, this is one of the best glow in the dark topcoat I have ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2011 12:38:00 AM More reviews by PromiscuousGayCroMagnon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this for halloween, of course, so i could wear it under my crackle polish. I only used one coat it the glow does show. Not sure if its worth the $6 price tag since my cheapie walmart glow polish does the same thing, except it requires more coats. It was great as a pick me up but and it came in a pack of 4 for $12.99 so i don't regret the purchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2009 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Dori319

So this stuff glows ok although I feel like Wet n Wild Fantasy Makers Night Glow glow a much brighter green and for longer. I put 2 coats of this over my China Glaze Fortune Teller mani yesterday and it kinda ruined it in my opinion because it made the mani milky looking.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by kiwi_of_hearts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This nail polish works fine, even if you don't use it as a topcoat. I put two coats on bare nails, and it gives a sheer white, glittery look. Like others said, though, you do have to give the bottle a good shake before applying, or else it won't glow nearly as much. Also, you have to make sure to "charge" your nails (a UV or halogen light works best, if you have one) before turning out the lights, as with most glow-in-the-dark items. Applies evenly and easily. I'm pretty happy with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2009 6:09:00 PM More reviews by junebug808

To your nails to glow, you really have to shake this before applying it, because that white stuff that collects at the bottom is the thing that makes it glow so you have to make sure that you get that on the brush, otherwise it won't glow. As a topcoat, this isn't that good so I would apply a regular topcoat over this to get your nails to last.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2009 1:04:00 AM More reviews by marisah

this worked great for me. i used it over Orly La Vida Loca. You have to shake it up real good before you put it on.