October 1, 2014 | 1801 users online

Lip Gloss - Yves Saint Laurent - Gloss Pur Black - #49

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by faija

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this for awhile now and didn't like it at first. I had seen a review on accidentalbeauty's blog and decided to get it because I just happened to see it at ACW. So. I get it and try it out and didn't like it all! I just got some new lipsticks and when I put the black gloss over it, watch out sexy mama! I love love love this stuff! It's not something to use everyday, so I'm sure this will last me a long time, but I feel really comfortable now buying any lipstick. Don't like the shade, throw some black gloss on over it! Being a nw45, this gives me a lot more options when it comes to lipsticks. Oh and I see some people didn't like the smell, I actually like the smell and the gloss leaves my lips really soft.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by ilovelagerfeld

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is not an everyday product IMO... so I will not buy another one unless I find more versatile ways to use it than over a red lip for a vampy look.

That being said, I do love it over other lipstick/glosses. It adds depth and has a nice texture. The price is steep, but I got mine for less from ACW, which is the only reason I decided to buy it and experiment.

I'd say if you love fall/winter looks with wines and berries and plums then this gloss will probably fit seamlessly into your makeup wardrobe and spice up your current lipstick/gloss routine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by katrosado5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this product and only use it as a top gloss instead of a stand alone gloss on it's own. Part of the luxury experience, that is to say, buying and using luxury makeup products is the scent. If I'm going to pay top dollar for a makeup item it better darn well have a scent. If I wanted a scentless product I'd go to the flippin drugstore and go on the cheap. LOL.
That is the reason I don't purchase wet and wild makeup, it's because I want quality and to have the luxury experience. With YSL the luxe experience is a guarantee. This gloss is top quality as well and I will be purchasing it in other colors as well.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Aeternitas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Liquid latex for the lips. This is as sexy and bold as ever - as black lip gloss can only be! It makes me want to pull out my whip and channel my inner dominatrix. It is darkness in a liquid form, entirely jet black. There is absolutely no glitter and no shimmer; just sexy black glazed leather in a tube. Imagine the night sky casting out all of the stars from the sky, and you're staring into a reflection of the starless night on a secluded pond, with nothing more than the gentle moonlight glowing through the stillness of the black water. That being said, if Edgar Allen Poe were a girl, he'd wear this lip gloss.

On bare lips, it comes out shiny, and completely opaque. You don't have to use much to coat your lips without any splotches. In fact, it's extremely difficult to sheer out. The magic about this lip gloss is that you CAN sheer it out over a lipstick of your choice to add the effect of depth and body. I tried it over a bright red lipstick (Revlon Really Red matte) and the Gloss Pur transformed this loud red into a sultry, villainous deep red pout. It looked like "film noir movie star red", if that makes sense. So, if you can't bear the thought of owning a black lip gloss or wearing it by itself, you can always layer on top of a lipstick. Also, you can mix it with another lip gloss for added dimension. It may be black, but you certainly can make it wearable with a little creativity.

The texture is incredibly slick, thick, and clingy. It is not greasy or sticky, which is a plus. This is also very long-wearing and over-all great quality luxury lip gloss. If you want a collectible makeup item or something daring to wear out in public for shock value, I strongly suggest and recommend this lip gloss. There is nothing about it that I don't like. I did not buy this at full price, but if I had to, I would. It is worth it. Unfortunately it is LE, but ebay has some for great prices, so long that you make sure the seller is reliably selling an authentic item.

Yves Saint Laurent Gloss Pur in black is probably the coolest makeup product I have ever bought. Before I bought this, I saw the reviews on MUA and was distracted by the claims of a horrid scent. When I received my gloss through the mail, I opened it immediately and smelled it in great anticipation, before I even applied it; the smell has accurately been described by a previous reviewer as Peach Schnapps. It smells exactly like Peach Schnapps, or peachy cedar - an unusually masculine fragrance. Very, very strange scent for a lip gloss, but I honestly love it. It adds to the effect of raw, uncut boldness. I feel that there was meant to be an art behind this lip gloss. I also tasted a bit of it from my lips, and I don't taste anything at all. The smell of this gloss is not for those with a sensitive nose.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Papermothra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am in love with this product! I never thought about black lip gloss. I'm sure I knew it existed but I always associated it with harsh looks that don't appeal to me. I got some black sparkly lip gloss from Sephora (#35) and sort of fell in love with it. It didn't make my lips black, just a smokey purple grey color. The only problem was, I don't like too much glitter. I want pure gloss. So began my hunt for black lip gloss. I thought I remembered YSL having a one so I checked it out. I put that the price was dirt cheap because I got mine un-opened on Ebay for $10. When it came and I tried it I was initially a little shocked. It's not nearly as subtle as the Sephora. I obviously won't be slathering this all over my lips but I quickly discovered that there are dozens of interesting combinations that can by done with this shade. It can be used to darken or change any lip color. My favorite combo is applying MAC's Vanity's Child lip stick , then a dot of this on the top and bottom lip, smooth it out and then go over it with your favorite basic gloss. Mine is MAC's Suntints Liquid Lip Balm in "Moist Plum". I also like the way it looks by itself with just a tiny amount blended into the lips. It casts a grey shadow and makes my hazel blue eyes look bright grey. I definitely don't understand the complaints about the scent and taste. The faint smell is very mild and I find it pleasant. I don't noticed a taste at all. Then again, I don't put much on since it's stark black. It will take me forever to get through this but it will definitely be apart of my regular make-up routing from here on out!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2010 10:10:00 PM More reviews by msshai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Maybe I have a less fussy sense of taste and smell when it comes to makeup but I don't find this gloss all that offensive. When I open the tube and sniff it does have a funky old people cologne sort of odor to it but I can't smell that when it's on my lips. I will say it does have a sour metallic taste to it but again not all that distracting.

I like this gloss because it can layer on thick to a patent black finish or just a bit lighter for an even darkening effect. I would never think that I'd look good in black lipgloss and I really just got this for the novelty of it but it is gorgeous and stays put really well.

That said I got this at a heavily discounted price (60% off) so I could imagine if i spent $30 on a gloss and it didnt smell and taste like fresh baked pastries then i'd be offended too,

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by lollypops33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Horrible, revolting smell and taste; even if the colour was amazing (it's not), I would be put off by this big time-gross!

The colour is too watery and blends really badly. It doesn't work as a gloss on its own nor does it blend over other lip colours.

Terrible, horrid product. What is that smell?!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2009 3:13:00 PM More reviews by jikla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

awful, just awful and sticky,it doesn't smell nice and not that easy to spread...it gives the lips a weird color its not purple or black...what a disappointment and a waste of money..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2009 7:13:00 PM More reviews by VVV

This beautiful black gloss has much more than meets the eye. Surprisingly it can both create wildly dramatic looks and softer more wearable looks.

COLOR/VERSATILITY: Applied at full force it is like black patent leather - rich, intensely shiny, intensely black. Apply a small dab over well moisturized lips and it's beautiful secret is revealed: it's wonderful eggplant undertones. This gloss can be sheered down to a lovely violet stain or built a little more for a gorgeous mid-toned eggplant. Just be sure to apply to moisturized lips if you plan to sheer it down so that it applies well.

PACKAGING: Gorgeous long clear squared tube to highlight the incredible color within. Gold cap with YSL logo. Incredibly elegant.

SCENT: This scent is quite bizarre. It smells very strongly and precisely of Peach Schnapps. My SO smelled it and was delighted at the fact but if you dislike the scent steer clear - it is VERY noticeable.

TASTE: I noticed no taste at all. Just the peculiar scent, lol.

MINUS ONE LIPPIE: When applying this gloss in it's full force black it is VERY challenging. If I try to apply it with just the brush that is included with the gloss it is nearly impossible because if I touch an area that has gloss on it already the brush smears the product around, off my lips and back onto the brush. I use a lip brush to apply this gloss with a great deal of care, tidy the edges with a Q-tip, and follow with a concealer applied with a brush around the edges of my lips to get a sharp edge. This makes touch ups not-so-fun. When I buy a YSL gloss I want to be able to use that glamorous YSL wand, not fuss about with a lip brush and then some.

BOTTOM LINE: ♥I adore this gloss!♥ It is a unique item that I have used far more than I thought I would when I purchased it because of it's versatility. I would buy it again because it's one of the most glamorous and special things in my makeup collection.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2009 6:26:00 PM More reviews by motleyutube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love the concept of a black lip gloss, however I hate the smell and taste of YSL Pur lip gloss. I also bought a beautiful pur gloss in #1 a gold color. Love the color and feel of these glosses, but the smell and taste of both are the same, it kinda makes me sick to my stomach. It eventually fades with time. The smell is kinda like Yegameister, I know it's spelled wrong or a liquorice cough surup. It's some kind of medicine you don't want to take. As for the black color though. Awesome.