MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle

4.1

Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Palminate, Jojoba Seed Oil, Yeast Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lauroyl Lysine, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Minerals

on 8/19/2015 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I absoluetly love this product is my go to highlighter. Although can look very glittery if applied with heavy hand. I find applying it with a light hand in the highest points of your face to give it a beautiful glow. I found this powder highlight a dream as i have very greasy skin, i have tried numerous cream highlighters like sleek and all it did was cake and cause my skin to breakout

on 8/10/2015 7:22:00 PM

I really hate this product! Chunky glitter and over the top shimmer is just not my thing! I can't understand the hype over this one at all and all my friends agree:( much prefer Mary lou by the balm

on 8/10/2015 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a truly amazing highlight, which I feel can work for almost any skintone. It can come off as a little glittery if you over-apply, but with a light hand it makes your whole complexion glow. The colour and pigmentation of this product is aaaaaamazing, would 100% recommend to anyone

on 8/7/2015 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is an overall a general highlighter that everyone should have

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can see why some people wouldn't like this highlighter, but I love it!

It is very glittery, but I don't think you can tell unless you're very close to my face. The less you use, the less noticeable the glitter is. It really doesn't matter for me, being 18, I think I'm still able to get away with glitter. More mature users may have to use a very light hand.

As for the color/pigment, it is a perfect match for me. I use maybe 3 or 4 light quick sweeps with my MAC 137 brush, and it looks freaking amazing! My mom also uses this, and if she is a bit heavy handed that day, it does show up VERY white and glittery on her, as some other users have commented. However, she's pretty fair and is cool toned; it shows up more as a light golden peach on my fair-medium and neutral toned skin.

My only complaint is that the container has no dip to put your nail in, and I have very short nails so it is a tad difficult to open. Oh well.

on 8/1/2015 5:05:00 AM

So I definitely put off purchasing this because of its cult fame, but now I see why it is such a favorite! My skin is dry and dull, very fair (NW20) and VERY cool toned. A lot of highlighters I've found for cool toned skin are white, which looks ashy even against my porcelain skin, the majority of others Are more golden and just doesn't look right on my light complexion. I swatched this in MAC to see what the hype was about and it was definitely amazingly perfectly colored for my fair cool toned skin. I wore it on my cheek bones out of the store and my skin looked revived from the drying summer months in chlorine and sand! I then had a party to attend later that evening and layered soft and gentle over my benefit girl meets pearl, another pinky champagne color that is somewhat neutral, and WOW! My cheekbones were glowing, when the light hit my face in a certain way, you could really see that most coveted hard to attain highlight. The powder is soft and beautiful, just like the effect on your face! I wouldn't recommend this for darker skin tones, I believe it would look dry and ashy, for darker skin tones I'd suggest gold deposit because it's soooooooo beautiful, I wish I could wear gold deposit as a highlight.. So fair skinned ladies (and gents) enjoy, dark skinned ladies (and gents), I'd steer you toward gold deposit!

on 7/30/2015 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

It's an okay product.. i really don't see why it's so hyped as it's so dry and chunky-- not really digging the glitter flakes it contains. Also it can sometimes look ashy on me (I'm around NC42). I just got Becca's pressed highlighter in Opal and I can say that I'm never reaching for Soft n Gentle again!

on 7/28/2015 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

OG of highlighters :) I have had this for a few years and it is always my go to highlighter..

on 7/21/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

I stopped caring for MAC products after discovering Sephora but when I came across a beauty blogger / transformation wizard I began noticing that the looks I liked best of her clients' before and after photos were ones where the highlighter applied was MAC Soft and Gentle. The look was always the same: a healthy glow and dewy sheen. I am glad I decided to give MAC another try because this has now become my favourite highlighter for any occasion. Like the before and after photos I have constantly envied, it gives me the healthiest glow and dewy look. People constantly compliment how my skin looks so healthy. I like to apply it with a fan brush and it doesn't go on ovewhelmingly or glittery. It almost appears wet but in a really good way. The best way to describe the appearance is a soft pearl.

on 7/19/2015 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have very very mixed feelings about this product.

I first heard about it from YouTube. Many a beauty guru used it in their tutorials and it looked amazing! So dewy and fresh and beautiful. I have very oily skin, so highlighter has never made an appearance in my make-up bag, but I just wanted that beautiful glow.

I'm not one for buying high end products, unless its foundation (I have very problematic skin), but there are just no good high street highlighters, so after a few months of thinking should I? Shouldn't I? I finally bought it from the MAC website.

First things first - I'm NC15, very pale, and when I put in on the high points of my face, it looked very pink. It is described as a gilded peach bronze, but it looked so soft on all the YouTubers, regardless of skin tone, which is why I bought soft and gentle, and not lightscapade (I was actually put off from the blue colour in lightscapade). I feel like when I try to wear soft and gentle with blusher on my cheeks, it looks like I'm wearing too much blusher, and the pink colour intensifies. I don't like to wear much blusher, because I have a lot of redness on y cheeks, so I try and avoid intensifying that. So, if I am going to wear soft and gentle, I can't wear it with a blusher at the same time.

Secondly - I'm aware that highlighters must have some kind of shimmer in them, in order to create shimmer on the skin, but I was not expecting the chunks of glitter to be so, well, chunky! From far away, it looks great, but the closer you look (and I don't mean that you need to get out your microscope), it looks like I have been sorting out the Christmas decorations!

That was my experience when applying it with a brush - any kind of brush I tried did the same thing - and with my fingers.

However, I have discovered that if I use my damp foundation sponge (I use the Real Techniques Complexion Sponge) to very GENTLY apply, and LITTLE amount of the product, it blends seamlessly, and the chunks of glitter look much softer. Even though you would expect this kind of product to intensify when applied with water, it really looked much softer on my skin, and much more wearable.

I really dislike my make-up to look like make-up, so if you like a more made up look, then the brush application would probably work perfectly for you.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this product. If I had paid a more high street friendly price, then I wouldn't have been so disappointed, because I really would have expected a much better quality product for the price. Really, my beef is with the size of the glitter, and I would expect that from a cheap brand. I think it was my own fault for getting the wrong colour, so I wouldn't repurchase soft and gentle, unless I was to get a major tan, but if I had the opportunity to try out lightscapade, I probably would.

Top Rated MAC Products