April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Powder - Mineral Fusion--Pressed Base

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 6:38:00 PM More reviews by cebaker07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Through my search for an HG foundation and just a foundation to get me through the bitter cold and dry winter, I revamped my skin care routine. I went to Whole Foods and was helped by a VERY knowledgable lady. She advised me on some products for cleansing and moisturizing and even touched upon cosmetics. She suggested the Mineral Fusion BB cream and mixing it with a lighter tinted moisturizer to get a color match. I tried this, but I really didn't like the way it felt and transferred onto everything. So, I took that back and got this powder in Neutral 2. I did some research and realized there weren't many reviews and want to add one.

This company uses a portion of their proceeds to go towards organizations devoted to helping Domestic Abuse Victims. The company is also cruelty free and has many vegan products. Mineral Fusion started as the GloMinerals made for Whole Foods brand and has developed into its own company and product line (though many are similar to Glo).

This powder has several ingredients that are good for your skin and help with moisture (which seems strange since it is a powder). I have dry skin and was worried about trying it, but it has turned out to be FABULOUS. Unlike Glo's pressed powder, this does not settle into my creases and stays put pretty well, even without primer. Sometimes I do add some tinted moisturizer first, just to add a little extra moisture, but not always. It also doesn't really seem to transfer and stands up to the winter cold and indoor warm temperatures. It also seems to last throughout the day, including a gym visit. I have tried a couple application methods, but I really like using my Real Techniques' blender brush with spot concealer treatment on acne spots.

Pros: Good for your skin
Good company values
Nice compact
Buildable coverage - can be sheer or medium
Easy to touch up

Cons: Is a little pricey, but when WF has a sale or on Amazon has good options
Should get matched in store because tones online are tricky (but that's my feeling about all makeup)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am currently on the replacement of my first one, I love this stuff so much. I love it even more than my Jane Iredale BB cream! I'm using the Olive 1 color, perfect for more yellow toned NC 20-30 skintones. The box does say you can get light to full coverage with this, and I quite agree, it just depends on what kind of brush you use. At first I tried it with my ELF flat top foundation brush and got really good results, and then I heard about Body Shop's kabuki brush so I bought that and got AMAZING full coverage with just a small amount of product. (I only use cruelty free, synthetic brushes. ELF and Body Shop both have fantastic brushes for great prices, just FYI).

Many ladies mention on here that this powder isn't creamy or doesn't blend very well. If you try to blend it on top of creams that have dimethicone in them, it won't blend very well and will cake up. I have two suncreens, one with dimethicone and one with glycerine (the latter is obviously more of a natural brand) and it looked way better on top of the glycerine kind. Just something to consider as dimethicone can break you out, especially if you have sensitive skin, despite what makeup companies say about it being "safe". This powder has never broken me out, and while it's true that it doesn't absorb oil all too well, this is a great powder foundation for people with drier skins.

I love this brand because they don't test on animals and their makeup truly doesn't have any harmful or artificial toxic ingredients in it. Well worth the price in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2013 5:55:00 AM More reviews by eskimocy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm using this pressed foundation in the shade of Neutral 1 and it fits perfectly with my NC15 skintone.
This mineral foundation is on the pricey side but I will say it is rather a good investment if you wants to explore mineral foundation seriously.
The package is nice. Very compact and neat. The powder is rather pressed and it is not messy during application when compared with those loose mineral foundation. I use it with Everyday Mineral's flat top blush and gives a medium coverage in 1 layer. It gives high coverage than most mineral foundation I tried and the coverage is definitely buildable but too much of it will end up looking cakey still.
It is not drying at all and I feel comfortable wearing it in winter.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by FireyHeart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got this because unlike what many companies claim to have their makeup products to be "mineral" while they have ingredients that can be bad for the skin, (such as talc, parabens, etc.) this one doesn't have any of those ingredients and it doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride, either. And it's pressed, too. These are my thoughts:

The company doesn't test on animals. (Yay!) I got this at Sprout's and you can get it at most health food stores or online. It cost about thirty dollars for .32 ounce, so it is pretty pricey, but I admit that all the good things it said on the box made me buy it.

Formulation: I should mention that on the box, it says "age-defying" and how it has antioxidants. Basically what that means is that this product is geared more towards aged, dryer skin so it won't settle into fine lines. For an oily skinned teenager girl like me, it's not HG status, but I still like it a lot and I can make it work.
This product is mica based instead of talc based, so it shouldn't absorb as much oil as a talc based product. Instead of using a talc based setting powder to mattify skin, I use corn starch. It really works as some companies (even high end ones) use corn starch in their powders. Some people complain that this product breaks them out, but it can be either the mica or the anti-aging ingredients. I felt like I just wanted to point that out.
Also, this product contains titanium dioxide fifth ingredient and zinc oxide sixth ingredient, pretty high up on the list, which is not a bad thing at all, considering they are sunscreen ingredients and they are meant for everyday use, but they can give you that white cast in photos. Skip this on nights out.

Packaging: I like the bronze color and the fact that the lid is not transparent. That means the product won't be damaged by the sun's rays as much. It would be perfect if it had a compartment for a puff or sponge, but sometimes, you just can't have everything. I like the fact that it's nicely pressed, so there will be minimal fallout.

Coverage: The box says it's light to full coverage, I say it's light to high-medium. It can be full, but you'll have to use up quite a few layers, which I don't do, because it is so pricey. I just use a separate concealer underneath.

Performance: It lasted for a pretty decent time, but it made my skin oily a lot faster than other powder foundations. I wasn't surprised because of the ingredients. I think this will do much better in the winter. I will update then.

Overall, I like this powder so far and I highly recommend it to dry or aged skin, also for daytime use. Really good for it's "natural" ingredients.

Update: I used this powder foundation on a day where I'm not as oily and it was perfect! A little powdery at first, but after it set for a while, it looked really nice and natural on the skin. It wears nicely and gave me a good medium coverage.

Conditions to use this: if your skin isn't oily and if you aren't planning to take pictures with flash. They really should state the amount of SPF in this, I'm assuming it's pretty high because of the high amounts of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by cutie_patootie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! I had been using my beloved Jane Iredale when I realized the algae in it was breaking me out. This is better stuff because it doesn't contain dimethicone either. Only drawback is they don't state the SPF.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Serena94

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have long been trying to find a non-talc powder foundation. I've tried many brands, including BE, Everyday Minerals, DiorSkin, etc. I did some research on this brand and purchased it at Whole Foods. I purchased Olive 2, which is very good for light to medium or medium to light tan/olive skin. It's not a classic olive per se, just a nice medium shade with a tinge of olive warmth that works well on most people with warm to neutral undertones. The beef I have with this product is the way it blends. Unlike DiorSkin and Everyday Minerals, it doesn't seem to melt into the skin very well. It has a tendency to sit on top of your skin so that it is pretty clear, when looking up close, that you are wearing powder. I tried light applications, heavy applications, blending with a flat brush, blending with a domed brush, applying after light moisturizer, applying after heavy moisturizer, etc. It all looked the same. This was a disappointment, since the shade is very good and doesn't oxidize and the formula seems gentle and doesn't cause break-outs (at least for me). The compact is also thin and light and easy to toss into a purse, with no excess powder coming out the sides. If you are young and have excellent skin, this might work very well for you. However, if you are looking to cover redness or uneven skin tone and do not want to emphasize fine lines, I would definitely skip.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Cidalrain

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this brand. Yes it is pricey but compared to the 10's of thousands I have wasted on makeup that wasn't the right color for me AND destroyed my skin, I can deal withe the $30. I have an Olive complexion with green undertones and my complexion is the most under marketed out there. Very few lines have an olive line. I have always been forced to use products with yellow undertones like Bobby Brown or Makeup Forever cause that was the closest I could find for my skin. but we all know yellow undertones are for Asian women, pink for white women and green undertones for Spanish women, like myself. They have an Olive line and I wear Olive 2 during winter when I am lighter and Olive 3 during the summer when I have tanned. AND this makeup is completely gentle and healing to the skin with all the natural minerals used in it! All these other products, even the high end ones will break you out. The only ones that won't are the mineral based products. I can't rave enough about this line. Go buy it!!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/23/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by SDSnyds

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I liked the ingredients and claims the company made for this powder but sadly, that's it. For one, it's way too expensive for the amount of product you get and the packaging is annoying. There's nowhere to store the sponge and if using a brush I find it difficult to get the powder onto the brush. This also doesn't wear well and when it begins to fade it looks very uneven. This made me shiny faster than any powder foundation I've used. I'm talking greasy pizza face within an hour or two. On a positive note, it didn't break me out but looking like a powdered, splotchy, grease face wasn't the look I was going for.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2012 8:47:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have advanced rosacea and SD; and tried this because I had heard it was good for sensitive skin and bought it at a natural food store. HAH! My skin broke out worse than it ever had. Dumb me. I should have paid attention to the ingredients, several of which are bad news for sensitive skin.

According to their website, the ingredients include the following:

Mica, Lauroyl Lysine, Zinc Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Boron Nitride, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Hydrolyzed Mango Juice Extract, Hydrolyzed Garcinia Mangostana (Mangosteen) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Alaria Esculenta (Sea Kelp) Extract, Aspalathus Linearis (Rooibus Red Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Extract, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Sambucus Nigra Fruit (Elderberry), Phenoxyethanol. MAY CONTAIN (+/-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Examples:
Vitamin C: can tear up sensitive skin with a compromised skin barrier
Tocopherol Acetate: can be a skin irritant; If you google it, you'll find it caused irritated skin when used in a study for wound healing
Various fruit acids: can irritate sensitive skin
Retinyl Palmitate: can be an irritant for very sensitive skin,; also per Truthinaging website: " is a controversial ingredient because of its potentially hazardous side effects. Although it has many proven benefits, the Cosmetics Database rates it as a moderate hazard ingredient. It warns of potential side effects including cancer, developmental and reproductive toxicity, violations, restrictions and warnings, cellular level changes, and organ system toxicity. Retinyl Palmitate has been shown to produces excess reactive oxygen species that can interfere with cellular signaling, cause mutations, lead to cell death, and it may be implicated in cardiovascular disease. It has caused reproductive effects at low doses in one or more animal studies, and there is limited evidence of cancer and skin toxicity, although it has been shown to be easily absorbed into the skin."

Summary: Will not be using Mineral Fusion products again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by softbomb

This pressed powder foundation has a lot going for it.

I have two pet peeves with most mineral foundations; one is that loose is the most common form and I usually do my make up on the go, in my car. I've wasted loads of money/time/product thanks to flying loose powder. So the compact is a life saver.

Second, most mineral powders I've tried are obnoxiously shiny with noticeable glitter particles. Last I checked babies aren't born with glitter particles on their skin. Hit direct sunlight and your 'I rolled out of bed this glowing' cover is blown. The shimmer is almost imperceptible and very flattering, esp on my dry skin.The powder enlivens my skin just enough with out looking like a glitterfest took over my face.

To a lesser but still frustrating extent but this applies to base shades in general, mineral or not, matching my light/medium Asian skin is nearly impossible. I bought the Olive 1 shade which is a tad bit light but the Olive 2 sadly leans orange on me.

However the undertone is believable on me and it's the best undertone match I've found from any other line (Jane Iredale, Jane, Fresh, Bobbi, LM, Dior, MAC, Origins, Zen, EL, you name it I've tried it).

The texture is smooth and creamy and felt lovely on my dry skin. However there's one ding on this product which left me puzzled and disappointed.

Granted I work a retail job where I'm on my feet and continuously running around and breaking a sweat BUT: I noticed that it can look uneven and smearey, as if I'd cried my make -up off, if that makes sense.

So I'm not sure if that's attributed to the fact I sweat while working or what but it wasn't pretty. Again I used this product at work and most of the time I don't have time to primp and look at a mirror so I don't know how quickly or what caused this. Maybe it was my moisturizer... So with that I used this sparingly as a setting powder and it seemed to wear OK.

The attractive bronzey, terracotta round compact is a slim yet sturdy case with subtle sheen like the powder itself so pretty and portable. However it does not come with a sponge. So I just swapped out a thin cheapie from another powder of mine.

I bought this at a local health food store called Marlene's and it was quite $$$$. I think it came out to be around $30 after taxes.

So overall, the texture, sheen, undertone, and pressed form worked well for me. Altho I recommend using this as a setting powder rather than a pressed powder foundation, as it is intended for.