October 22, 2014 | 1798 users online

Shampoo - Nioxin - System 1 Cleanser For Fine Hair, Non Chemically Enhanced Hair, Normal to Thin-Looking Hair

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by michelleb248

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Nioxin was recommended to me by my hair stylist after I complained about my hair thinning. (As a child, I had really thick, beautiful hair. But my hair thinned and changed during puberty and after several years of using "Sun In," which was my Mom's recommendation - thanks Mom!)

Now, I have fine hair, but a lot of it - if that makes sense.

Anyway, I really like Nioxin. The peppermint smell is very refreshing, and the shampoo is very moisturizing. The only drawback is the price, so I only purchased the shampoo and used a drugstore brand conditioner. (There are several good spots on the internet, however, where you can by the large bottle of shampoo at half the price of Ulta or other stores).

I cannot say that Nioxin totally transformed by hair. But, it did make it look shinier and healthier, and I would say that it did make my hair a little thicker. Not a total miracle worker, but if you are experiencing thinning hair, it is definitely worth a try. Just shop the web for a deal before plunking down all that money.

As a side note, when I ran out of Nioxin earlier this year, and I was low on funds, I switched to Garnier Fall Fight and then Garnier Hydra Recharge. Both products are very nice at a good price, and I have noticed that my hair seems equally as thick as when I used Nioxin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by Shampooaholic

I tried this a few years ago on the advise of my previous hairdresser. I have fine limp hair. She convinced me that it would work maricles for me. WRONG! This shampoo dried my hair to crispy straw! Nothing else I tried would fix the damage. I had to wait 3 years for the damage to grow out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by gribble

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A little background - I have very thin, very fine and very oily hair that is the bane of my existence, it was also beginning to shed a little due to weight loss. It is genetic and I realise there is little I can do about it, despite what Youtube folk will tell you no amount of Biotin will change your genetic makeup. It will go from fluffy to flat in 2 hours. I have tried a whole array of "volumising" shampoos from both high end and low end brands with mixed results, but so far I think Nioxin is the the winner. I normally have to wash my hair every day and asking for a 2nd day out of a wash is really pushing it. There's a LOT of dry shampoo involved and it's best to stay indoors, let's put it that way.

So that being said, I have been using Nioxin religiously for two weeks now and have definitely noticed less shedding - from a scary amount of hair lost in the shower to normal levels. It really does makes my hair feel a touch fuller. While it is no miracle worker, today was the first day ever I have woken up and noticed my 2nd day hair has body and looks clean, no washing necessary. Obviously it will take a few months to decide whether this has any hair-retaining properties, but for now I rate it as a very good volumising system for fine/thin/oily hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 6:23:00 AM More reviews by panne003

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product for some years now. My hair is longer then i had before, it is strong and I loose no more hair.I like it very much and i do very long with a bottle because I have to use a little bit every time I wash my hair. In the netherlands I buy this product always online at http://www.fun4hairshop.nl.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I probably would not have tried this for the full price, but Marshall's had medium-sized bottles of this shampoo and matching conditioner, and I'd become hopelessly agitated with my thin, wavy, frizzy-on-top hair. I hoped that this product would give my hair more body while improving the texture.

I can honestly say that I'm completely happy with my purchase. I had been a bit concerned that this shampoo would be too harsh, given the blue and minty texture, but my hair has been softer, more pliable, and more light and fluffy since I've been using System 1. It also doesn't get oily and flat as easily, probably because I'm no longer using heavy moisturizing shampoos to try to reduce my flyaways.

Whether I choose to air dry my hair into waves or blowdry it straight, my hair just looks better, with a more uniform texture and less surface roughness. My hair now lays in a more smooth pattern instead of frizzing on the surface.

I do think I use a bit more of this shampoo than I did others because it doesn't lather as much as others I've tried, but that may be because it has less sulfates (I don't know if it does). Also, I now coat my frizzier layers of hair with conditioner before shampooing, so that is probably helping matters, but my hair had improved noticeably even before I started doing this.

I can't say that this shampoo will absolutely work for everyone, but it has managed to give my hair more volume, more softness, and with less heavy buildup than other shampoos, so I'm very happy and will continue using it. I like it so much that I've considered buying it for a friend for Christmas who has always lamented her thin hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by erovero

This is the best shampoo I've ever used. I don't feel like it actually helps with thinning in any way, but it does help with the excessive oil in my hair. I have VERY oily hair so before using this product, I would wash my hair in the morning and by the end of the day my hair was noticable oily. That is not the case anymore, in fact when I wake up the next day my hair still isn't oily. It's expensive, but definitely worth a try if you have oil problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by INEM

I've been using Nioxin System 1 for approx 3 weeks now. Although the hair that clogged in the bathroom filter after I wash it remains about the same, but I notice less hair that falls on the floor in daily basis.
My scalp also feels a lot healthier. It no longer itches on the next day and I no longer need to use dry shampoo on the front area to absorb oil on the next day.
Although I can't see any new growth yet as I've only been using the products, but the fact that my hair sheds less and is becoming less greasy is already a bonus.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 8:19:00 PM More reviews by IronPill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. My hair is better than ever since I started using these products. I had been experiencing scalp problems off and on for over a year, and then last fall I began excessively shedding a lot of hair, making my hair appear thinner. This shampoo and conditioner duo have totally helped with those problems. The scalp therapy does wonders for, well, my scalp. And it doesn't weigh down the roots at all - it's perfect. My hair feels great. What I do is wash with the shampoo, rub in a quarter size amount of conditioner into my scalp, rub another squeeze of conditioner in the length, comb it through with a shower comb from root to tio..let that sit for the recommended 3 minutes, then rinse.

At first my hair seemed to shed more, and my hair didn't as "nice" (or what I was used to thinking felt nice), but I was told to stick it out for a little while. After three weeks, my hair stopped shedding as much as it did before, my scalp felt balanced, and my hair starting feeling silky and nice. I've only been using these products for about two months, but I do believe it's helping with regrowth and making my hair appear thicker. I'm seeing more little hairs, and I no longer feel worried my scalp is showing when I wear a ponytail. I ran out of the scalp therapy two weeks ago, and started using another salon brand conditioner in its place (but unlike the scalp therapy, I didn't put this on the scalp)...bad idea. I went and bought the massive bottle duo of the shampoo and scalp therapy conditioner over the weekend, and while it's expensive, I think it's worth it (and these bottles are HUGE, so they should last a very long time).

My kit came with the scalp treatment, but I can't comment on that because I haven't used it more than twice since I bought it (this is out of laziness. I'm going to start using it this week).

For reference: I am in my late 20s, I do not have female pattern baldness in my family, and I did go to the doctor to get my blood, thyroid, hormones, etc - everything - checked, and they found nothing wrong. I believe perhaps my loss was that condition Telogen Effluvium (for me, due to stress) and my scalp was terribly unbalanced (very dry, flaky, yet oily, etc). FYI this is undiagnosed.

UPDATE 12/9/12:
I still use this, and still love it. There have been about three times over the last 7 months where I felt my hair had build up from the conditioner, but I used a clarifying shampoo and everything went back to normal. I really think this has encouraged a healthier scalp and hair growth for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by missdianabanana

First off I'd like to say I used this shampoo years ago and eventually came off of it, but have no idea why? I tend to try new shampoos every now and then trying to look for the next best thing, but I am happy to say I'm back to using this shampoo. This shampoo not only thickens hair, but I find I can go more days without having to wash it before it looks greasy. yuck! I know what most of your are thinking, but I have heard from many reliable sources that its not good to wash your hair on an everyday basis and believe me with this shampoo, you can go days and days without having to. I absolutely love this shampoo and have come to find that my hair doesn't shed like it used to, and have noticed very few hairs going down the drain when I shower. LOVE IT! Hopefully in the future they can make the bottle a little more appealing to the eye (very bland black and white bottle) but that doesn't make or break my decision. Try this you won't be disappointed. My only downfall is the price (21.00 CAN) but for my hair, its well worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2012 11:58:00 AM More reviews by easturner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like the shampoo and the conditioner from System 1. I've found that it does really thicken my hair up. I'm also using Hair Fertilizer though, so I'm not sure which product is the one that is making the most impact- but I am sure it is a combo of both. The only thing that I don't like about the shampoo is the scent. Dear Lord- it smells like household cleaner combined with dog shampoo. It is not good. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with this stuff and would probably repurchase.