Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupte - Red Taboo #18

4.4

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Red Taboo, I love you. So red, so elegant. And it smells sooo good, too. The tube is always on my vanity, I display it loud and proud. It's so lovely.
I gave it a four because it's so, so creamy and I have to really blot it down. But it's so pretty that I had to have it even if I prefer mattes.

on 12/9/2012 10:51:00 AM

This is one of my favorite red lipsticks for a number of reasons:
- It's not drying.
- It's creamy and easily applicable.
- The color is an intensely gorgeous deep vivid red.
- A slight dab will give you a beautiful stain effect for the day.
- Wear is surprisingly excellent. Lasts well especially when applying lip liner beforehand (not necessary though)
- The packaging is reason enough to buy it. So luxurious and elegant.

on 4/30/2012 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This was my first YSL purchase! I was so excited.lol I really wanted a red lipstick and I thought "If I'm gonna do a red lip,it might as well be YSL." I felt Red Taboo was the perfect true red.It isn't bright but it isn't too dark either.I usually go for matte lips but there's always the powder trick to take away the sheen this leaves.It's very pigmented also you don't need much.I'm very satisfied with this product.I would repurchase this again but since I'm gonna cherish this,I don't see that happening for a while.lol

on 2/13/2011 9:17:00 PM

I don't normally like creamy lipsticks...I'm a matte kind of girl, however, this is one of two creamy lipsticks that I own & love. Formula is veryyyy creamy & the scent is strong, but I don't mind because the color is a true blue red & looks absolutely stunning. very elegant, & packaging is very stylish (a bonus in my book) & the little mirror at the top of the cap comes in very handy for me

on 11/28/2010 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

i was looking for a red lipstick for the holidays and came across this color at Nordstrom. Let me just say that this is a beautiful red ! it pairs nicely with smokey eyes for an evening glam look. I love the formula as well. This doesn't chap my lips by the end of the day unlike MAC lipsticks. Would definitely repurchase !

on 11/25/2010 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of my favorite red lipsticks, perhaps my most favorite. It is similar to Chantecaille in Cerise. It is not drying, and surprisingly, the Chantecaille Cerise was somewhat..

I find this color very deep and intense for day wear, and only wear it applied very lightly, I use a heavier hand for evening, and its just gorgeous!

Even though it is a highly saturated color, its not really a dark red, its vivid more than dark. It is long wearing and wears off evenly and gradually. and if no lip balm or primer is used first, it will stain the lips, which I personally like.

As I noted in my previous reviews for other Rouge Volupte lipsticks; It really helps to not swivel the lipstick out beyond about 1/16" (.158cm) just barely past the end. All of those ads which show it swiveled up may look great to sell the product, but it would not work well for application.

I've never had one break, but can understand, due to the creamy consistency, how it could happen very easily if extended out very much past the tube end. Very little pressure is needed to apply. Just barely touch your lips.

I have used clear lip liner, and also Mac in Cherry (I think). It will feather without a lipliner unless your lips are truly wrinkle free.

It is good to use the lip brush for the initial application, touch ups are fine to just use the tube because one doesn't really need to go to the very border of lips for color renewing throughout the day.

I know the lip liner + lip brush sounds like a lot of effort, but its really worth it, the color is beautiful, it lasts very well.

The case is almost reason enough to buy this lipstick! its exquisite.

on 6/12/2010 10:37:00 AM

This is true love for me. At first, when I opened up the package at home, I was really disappointed. I guess the tester at Sephora had gotten dried out, which made it a really beautiful, dark red - the same color as what Gaga wears early in the Telephone video (which I'm dying to find).

So, when I put it on for the first time and saw that it was not a deep red, but a brighter blue red, my heart sank. But then I tried it on one day when I wore all black, and vavavoom! It looks gorgeous against my yellow-based skin.

Ladies, if you have a yellow tint to your skin and you are looking for a red that really pops, you have to try this color. Not only is the color beautiful, but the texture is gorgeous as well. Like all Rouge Voluptes, the initial slip onto your lips feels so luxurious.

I have worn it five times and have not had any real problem with the wear. I have to reapply after meals and I may touch up before a big meeting (typical for me) but in between it's usually fine. The shine does leave after a short bit but that doesn't bother me any. Overall, one of my favorite reds ever!

on 4/24/2010 5:59:00 PM

I loved this when I first put it on in at the counter; very moisturizing and creamy. I decided to wear it around the mall for a while, and while it had wonderful staying power without drying out my lips, it CHANGED COLOR to a bright fuschia! Not attractive, and not something I would have expected from such an expensive lip color. I've heard of this happening to others, but none of my MAC lipsticks have ever done this. Boo.

on 3/1/2010 8:41:00 PM

This is one of the best lipstick that I have ever owned.
Red Taboo is a blue red on me (C7/NC45).
It is creamy and does not dry out my lips.
It is highly pigmented, I only need one swipe to get the desired colour.
The best part is: It is long lasting!
I thought it would disappear after the first drink.
I now wear it pretty much everyday to work, that is how much I like it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Red Taboo is a gorgeous silky radiant colour that goes great with cool undertones. It has the most beautiful packaging and the texture is very rich and creamy. It also smells great.

It isn't very lasting but when it fades it leaves a lovely tint on the lips that looks as gorgeous. A unique shade of red that I haven't seen in any other brand and a very strong shade too. I have dark brown hair and fair skin and when I wear it, it completely changes the way i look. It is very sexy. I am absolutely in love with it.

Popular Lipsticks