Byredo - Pulp

3.4

on 2/15/2014 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The fragrance equivalent of a Sour Patch Kid. This seriously waters the eyes, it is so tart and TANGY. That being said, it's a very cool scent. If I were still a badass 18 year old art school kid wearing all black every day, I'd wear this just for the juxtaposition of smelling like a fruit cart in Brazil. As is, I'll stick to more subtle scents.

on 1/3/2014 9:26:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse

This one turned out to be very disappointing: what I got, was a blenderfull of mashed mixed fruit. Didn't appeal to me at all.

on 7/7/2013 6:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I’ve been craving juicy citrus scents with summer in full swing and right now Byredo’s Pulp is gracing my wrist. Though Pulp is not billed as a grapefruit scent – its notes are bergamot, cardamom, blackcurrant, fig, red apple, tiare, cedar, praline, peachflower – to me it is a sweet, tart, citrusy dream. No fragrance has ever evoked such a perfect purely fruit picture for me. And best of all, it holds this tart, juicy feeling well into the drydown. The downside? The price tag. Byredo perfumes are rather outrageously priced at $195 per 100 ml bottle. I suppose I’ll have to make do with a decant.

on 11/26/2012 4:28:00 AM

This is actually a very sexy scent - very ripe fruit cocktail - not sickly sweet but concocted to be devoured! men seem to love the smell. i feel ravishing wearing it, it is only to be worn occasionally - not every day for me. sexy it is!

on 5/13/2012 6:41:00 PM

I got a sample of this fragrance at Barney's along with another Byredo scent. This scent is so completely gross especially when you add heat. It reminds me of the scent of rotting fruit left out in the sun.

Notes: bergamot, black currant, cardamom, fig, red apple, tiare flower, cedar, praline and peach blossom.

This fragrance opens with a light fig note enhanced by bergamot. The fig's milky-green aroma mixes very well the tangy aroma of the citrus. As the two notes bloom on my skin, they blend until they are barley indistinguishable. This is when the black currant emerges: it reveals itself as a sugary, initially indistinct fruitiness, adding sweetness and depth to the fruit accord. I see now a whirlwind of fruit: their best qualities combined into a fresh summer scent that is very pleasant to wear. Unfortunately the accord is not meant to last long, soon the bergamot burns out and the intense tanginess diminishes. Next the berries burn out and the rich sweetness vanishes. All there remains is the most persistent of the three fruits: the fig adorned by what is left of the more volatile notes. The final mix of fig, cedar, citrus remnants and indistinct fruits reminds me of Hermes' Un Jardin en Mediterranee, only with more fruit and less (kitchen) herbs. Sadly this Byredo offering also lacks persistence, after barely four hours it is gone.

on 6/17/2011 9:11:00 AM

Byredo's Pulp is different. Yes it is sugary sweet like so many perfumes these days, and yes there is fruit (I smell black currants, melon and strawberries,) and sure it reminds me at some points of the hard candy that dentists warn you against. But it is not insipid or overwhelmingly girly it is more like a picnic in the park with a basket of fresh fruit than a cocktail named after an island. The middle notes occasionally dip into the fresh and green scent of freshly-cut flower stems, which is a welcome escape from the sweetness and keeps the fragrance from being too linear. On me, the lasting power is about five hours, and it's really closer to 3.5 lippies than 3.

I suspect the quality ingredients allow this to proudly be what it is - a sweet, fruity perfume - but also allow the middle notes to go on for several hours where most other fruity scents fizzle out into a synthetic mess. This is well-blended but you still get whiffs of distinct blackcurrant or green stem that gives it a more natural and genuine character than most of its ilk.

Fruity perfumes are not really my taste, but I might need a decant of this for the summer days when I'm feeling carefree and more in the mood for a romantic comedy than a thick novel.

I wavered between 4 and 5 on this one but ultimately decided it deserves a 5 if for no other reason than it's a very rare citrus that makes me want to make a full purchase. And even with a $200 price tag I want Pulp.
This is definitely a fruity scent, almost puckery. It starts off with a blast, and though I would normally be put off by it; something makes me love this perfume. I don't see rhubarb listed as a note, but I could swear it's there. After about the 20 minute mark I detect the tiare and praline, which calms the scent. There's very little sillage with this one after it settles into the skin, and I don't mind.
Top: Bergamot, cardamom, blackcurrant
Heart: Fig, red apple, tiare
Base: Cedar wood, praline, peach flower

on 12/12/2010 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

If you are looking for a replacement for the amazing sour-fruit nirvana that was the late Jus by Fresh, look no further. I was so transported by Pulp that I shelled out big bucks for the bottle within minutes of my first spray. My first impression is a blast of lemons, grapefruits, Granny Smith apples,and (maybe) unsweetened cranberries, served on a bed of leafy green notes. It settles down into a more straightforward berry/fig fruity scent after a while, but GAWD those first 20 minutes are phenomenal: the most puckeringly unsweet fruity scent since...well, since Jus, actually. Reminds me of a amplified sour version of Diptique's L'Ombre dans L'eau, heavy on fruit, light on greenery.

on 7/11/2010 3:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

How odd. I really don't get a lot of fruit in this one. I get a hint of unripe berries,but overall it's the scent of green tomato leaves in hot summer sun. Hot, green, almost spicy, but no fruit to really speak of. It's very interesting and really does put me in a garden in summer at noon. Not true to advertising for me, though

Popular Fragrances