Loew-Cornell Maxine's Mop 3/8 inch brush

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/26/2013 4:33:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been using one of these for several years. I've never tried whatever MAC brush it's supposed to be a dupe for. I bought it when I was first starting out with makeup brushes and saw it recommended as an inexpensive decent brush.

I consistently reach for it over the other eyeshadow brushes I've collected, which are two kinds of ELF brush, some other generic goat hair brush and a horsehair Hakuhodo G5507 brush. It's not the softest one I have (although it's never been uncomfortable to use and washing has made it softer) but softness isn't what makes a brush useful to me, what makes a brush useful to me is doing what I want it to do quickly and consistently, and in this case, that's getting an opaque, even layer of shadow down on my lid. Bam. Done.

I decided today that it's stupid for me to fool around with these other brushes I don't like as much, and I'm going to chuck them out or swap them and buy a handful more of the Maxines. Being cheap is a big plus when it means I can have a bunch of them in rotation, always have one clean, and never have to stress about my delicate expensive babies when I want to wipe one down with a baby wipe or wash it frequently.

on 3/15/2012 9:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

As close to the MAC 239 dupe as you will ever get. I did not find it scratchy at all. Thanks to the below poster, I also got mine from brushesandmore.com... for less than $3!!! Considering the savings, I can't really complain about the quality and so far, I feel no difference from the MAC (same goat hair) and it performs just as well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really don't see how some people can complain about this brush..have you not seen the price?!?!!? This is a dupe for the mac 239, not exact dupe but close enough , I'd say if I compare it to my MAC 239's it's about a 4/5 comparison to the mac 239 , the only difference is that the loew cornell 3/8" maxine mop is a tiny tiny bit more stiff. I own 8 of these 3/8" maxine mops and 5 MAC 239's and i can honestly say that they are the same in applying makeup and i can tell no difference and that now i do regret buying so many MAC 239's. I wouldn't have never known about this until some youtube gurus rave about it. The reason i have 8 is because i got it from brushesandmore.com if anyone is wondering where to buy for cheap. They are ONLY $2.77! and free shipping when u spend a minimum of $20. I originally planned to get 2 which was like almost 6 bucks but shipping was like 7 bucks so i was like ehhhhhh if i just paid an extra 8 bucks ill get 8 brushes which is 4 times the amount and a lifetime supply..literally. If you have friends and fmaily who wanna try one, this makes a cheap gift or you guys can split the cheap tab..8 brushes for like 22 bucks total?!?! yes im serious!

on 2/2/2011 9:22:00 PM

LOVE this for packing on eyeshadow on the lid. I just won't let myself pay $30 for a makeup brush, that's just insane to me if you aren't a makeup artist and using it only for personal use. I obviously don't have a MAC 239 but this brush picks up color great and deposits it great. I've washed it about 5 times and haven't lost one bristle and it still looks new. Brush is very very soft, no idea why people say it's scratchy. I have very sensitive skin and the brush feels very soft to me. I honestly believe Loew Cornell brushes work just as well, you just aren't paying for the letters MAC printed on the handle. I will rebuy when I need a new one.

on 1/5/2011 12:23:00 PM

Amazing. I would of never thought to use a painting brush to put on eyeshadow until I was on youtube and saw people using them. Got this for $4 at AC Moore. The brush is super soft and friggen identical to the MAC 239. I don't know how people can sit here and complain about this brush and act all spoiled because they have their 'luxorius mac brushes'. I don't own a MAC brush but i've used them and I don't see the point in spending an ass ton of money for them. I think this paint brush applies eyeshadow so nice. So ya know what I'm proud to be using it. I never said that people couldn't be picky about their makeup or what they put on their face and what they use to do it with but honestly... people need to stop being so stuck up about it. And that's my rant lol and I'll probably get hate mail because of it.

on 12/31/2010 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This is NOT a dupe for the MAC 239 AT ALL. Do not let anyone steer you to believe it is. This does not pick up or deposit enough color and it is scratchy. Never purchasing again. I've had this for a year and some change now but am just now reviewing because I accidentally packed this instead of my beloved 239's (yes, I have a few) and I am realizing how much it does not compare. I hate being away from home without my essentials.

on 11/13/2010 12:43:00 AM

I have a couple of these and a couple of MAC 239s and this is not as soft at all.... good but not an exact dupe to me

on 10/23/2010 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is an exact dupe of the MAC 239, it performs to the exact same degree of excellence. The brush is not scratchy, it does not shed, and the purple handle is, well, unique.

As long as you make sure to clean your brushes properly, the bristles will not deteriorate, and the brush should maintain its original shape and form. A super investment for anyone on a budget...or not! I recommend this brush over the MAC 239 in every instance. Why? Because it does the EXACT same thing for a fraction of the price!

on 5/22/2010 9:03:00 PM

I dont know why every person doesn't have this. This is my very favorite brush for applying all-over lid color. It's just fabulous, to me it's not scratchy, it holds well, doesn't shed and I have washed it a good 30 times.

on 4/3/2010 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This brush works really good for all over the lid. Its cheap too compared to the MAC 239 and pretty sure they work the same. Its not scratchy and its soft.

Popular Makeup Brushes