July 29, 2014 | 2016 users online

Lipstick - Lipstick Queen - Medieval

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by SuziH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I finally purchased this from Ulta last weekend, after having tested it on my hand several times in the past couple of months. I'm not quite sure why I finally decided to purchase Medieval, but I am ever so happy that I did! Not only is this an excellent "everyday red," it is also quite long-lasting, moisturizing, and comfortable to wear. I've always been a sucker for lip products (and have purchased nearly every form from low-end to high-end over the decades), but I must say this is truly my favorite. The hue is a subtle and natural red flush, not something that screams out that I'm wearing lipstick. I love the tube itself, although I kind of wish it didn't have "Lipstick Queen" emblazoned upon it. Like others have said, the packaging artwork is quite intriguing, too.

When I glide this lovely lip stain across my lips, the effect it gives calls to mind one of my favorite paintings from 1893, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," by John William Waterhouse. If you've never seen the painting, you should Google it. The pre-Raphaelite artist painted an intimate scene in which we find an ethereally beautiful young lady who is passionately gazing into the eyes of a knight, her flushed lips are slightly parted to receive a kiss from her chosen suitor. This particular artist often painted scenes which had been based upon famous poems, and most of his paintings feature what I consider to be a standard of beauty, where the glow of the subject shines, not as a result of the cosmetics she wore to enhance her features. Wear this gorgeous lipstick, and that same effect shall certainly be yours!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by number1larissa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a good PIGMENTED TINTED LIP BALM. I put that in caps because some reviewers are saying this is a great red lipstick, but lipstick it is not. Now, I love red lipsticks, but I love the vintage-looking, 1940s-esque matte reds. So that's what I think of when I hear/read "red lipstick". This is more like a Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Cherry or Passion, which are both red shades (Cherry is a little brighter, more of a popsicle-red, whereas Passion is a little deeper and closer to Medieval). However, this doesn't have the yummy taste/smell of those, so if you're looking for a sheer-ish red balm at a high price, I'd choose one of those over this - Medieval is definitely going for an unfragranced vibe, but something is off and mine is kind of chemical-esque (although it does wear off after 15-30 minutes). Perhaps mine is a little bit old which could possibly account for that, but since I'm very sensitive to smells, it's a little off-putting (a friend gave it to me because she didn't love it, that's why I'm not sure how old my particular tube is).

I gave 3 stars, but I really feel it's more like 3.5. I love the deep color and metallic feel of the packaging and I find that the lid stays pretty secure, which is nice (although I have to say I like Fresh's packaging better; I like that you have to screw the lid on and off, and I like that it the shape of the product is flat like a balm and not slanted like a lipstick/Medieval). Staying power of Medieval is so-so, about an hour or two which is on par for a balm. However, I don't think it's as good as other options for the price, and wouldn't buy myself a second tube.

If you're looking for a cheap drugstore tinted lip balm, I recommend Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips; the most pigmented in the line is Soothing Sorbet and is kind of a pinky-red and reminds me of Medieval in the texture and staying power. That line of Baby Lips has eucalyptus in it so it'll kind of smell/taste like that, but I don't mind. The original Baby Lips are also well-pigmented and there's a red in there (Cherry Me), I just didn't care for the heavily artificial cherry smell/taste. Revlon's Candy Apple lip butter is also good, except it leans a little more orange-red whereas Medieval is more blue-red.

After reading my review again, it seems like I don't care for Medieval at all, which isn't the case; I just don't feel like it's anything special and that there are better similar products out there at various price points. But if you have it and love it and it's HG for you, that's awesome! It's just not my favorite in its category, although I'm glad I was able to try it and make that decision for myself :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Giron0922

This is the best natural looking red lipstick ever! It's pigmented yet sheer and super moisturizing! I love all their lipsticks but this is my go to!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 8:17:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the look of this lipstick-- It's just the right amount of red, adding visible color and brightening the face, without looking too formal or in-your-face red.

But I've had to stop wearing it, because it dries out my lips terribly. This happens even when I wear a lip balm under it. About 2 hours after application, the color has worn off and my lips are parched.

So, I won't be repurchasing this one.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Another winner from Lipstick Queen. This is a great sheer red. I can says it easy to wear. Looks great, almost "bitten" lip look. Reminds me of benetint without the liquid mess.

Applies smoothly. Moisturizing. More a like stained lip balm rather than lipstick.

I love this just as much as Hello Sailor.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 7:25:00 AM More reviews by ammit1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This was a Christmas gift which was nice, I requested it after being asked what was on my wish list and my mother kindly did the deed and bought it for me.

I am very impressed with this lipstick, although I do think it's quite expensive. I am very pale and can wear this sheer red with no hesitation at my work place. If you have black hair and blue eyes this would look stunning on you. Reminds me of Snow White for some reason.
The formula is sheer and moisturising, the lasting power therefore isn't amazing but that is to be expected with this kind of product.

I first saw this kind of look from benefits benetint balm, this is definitely better. I've said I'd buy it again if i lost it or ran out purely because there is nothing wrong with it, but I can't help but think there are lots of these sheer lipsticks around these days and I bet someone out there does a better formula - YSL, i'm looking at you.

There isn't anything wrong with THIS formula, but the packaging leaves a lot to be desired if I'm honest. For the price it comes in a simple red metal tube, and it doesn't exactly close easily I've found. I expect quality if i'm paying top dollar (or in this case, the gift buyer).

This is most definitely a very beautiful lipstick, I have pale skin, hazel eyes and dark hair with highlights for reference. I can't imagine that this would look bad on anyone to be honest, for those who are shy about red, this is your lipstick. It's definitely an autumn/winter colour in my book, although I doubt i'll stop using it along with bronzer in the summer either! Very versatile, very moisturising and very nice.

You might have noticed that I've knocked a lippy off, and that's mainly for the packaging/price point issue, it detracts from the overall package in my view, I give makeup a 5 for outstanding everything and a 4 if it's awesome but something is niggly. You might not agree but it's just FYI.

If you need yet another lipstick (we all do) then this is a good buy for sure. LSQ formulas are also amazing imho.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by EIGNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the perfect sheer red lipstick for me. The LQ lipstick formula cannot be beat-moisturizing without being greasy/oily. Good staying power as well. Very chic packaging. As for the color itself, due to it's sheerness it doesn't pull too warm or cool, letting your natural undertones come through. This is a very natural looking, daytime red. I would highly recommend this to those who are timid of wearing red in general as it makes for sufficient red lipstick training wheels.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was so excited to get this lippy. But it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I will say the color is gorgeous on me. I have light/medium warm skin and my lips have slightly more natural pigment than a corpse, Medieval shows up beautifully with several swipes across my lips, and looks like a berry red. I also like the balm like texture and the fact that it has no scent or flavor. Unfortunately, once it wears off, my lips are a bit drier than before. And it wears off very quickly, even with no eating or drinking. Given the many moisturizing ingredients, I was surprised that my lips feel so dry after wearing. So while I do love the color, this is one I won't be purchasing again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 12:37:00 AM More reviews by Carela26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the best things about this product is the ingredient list: Shea butter, Mango seed butter, bees wax (to name a few). I'm big on what type of chemicals I put near my mouth, so this was a plus for me, worth the price. Also, the color description does not lie. It is a red tint. Not drying like some of the liquid tints out there. It's supposed to be sheer, and not obvious. Goes back to a time when women used lemon juice to make their lips red (not like a heavier lipstick). Very nourishing and healthy. I would not compare to some of the less expensive brands that have a much different ingredient list. The packaging is awesome. Doesn't get into the creases in your lips and feather. Perfect for work very subtle and pretty. Also pretty for any age group.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

Another one of my Lipstick Queen favorites. Now to be fair I am fair/medium skintone. I know some reviewers did not like it because of the skin tone it did not show up. To be fair this is a sheer and although pretty full coverage on me it is not opaque. I use these type lipsticks when I am on the go during the day or a sheer lip for heavier shadow or cheek color makeup.

It does leave a stain as it wears that is flattering. Even though this is a balm consistancy lippy and it is buttery/creamy it is NOT a balm. If you have dry/flaky lips the color is going to cling to it in a not so pretty way.

I highly recommend this for someone wanting to try Red for the first time but is a little afraid of the more saturated colors. I recommend go swatch this at Ulta or Nieman's before you buy to make sure you love the look. The $22+ price tag is not somehing you want to make a mistake with. I might also suggest trying a revlon lip butter before investing in this as they also have that shearer coverage.